October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Diplomacy VS Risk (classic )

More
24 Jan 2010 21:21 #53721 by ChristopherMD

WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting on it. End your first post in this thread with the title of the game you're placing a bet on (i.e. voting for) so its clear to me when reading it later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. Counting expansions or not is entirely up to you just as playing with them or not is. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2010 00:00 #53727 by dysjunct
Vote: Risk.

More
25 Jan 2010 00:58 - 25 Jan 2010 00:59 #53728 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Vote: Risk. It takes a bit less time and everyone can play. The thing that truly sucks about Diplomacy and ruins an otherwise fine game is that one person has to coordinate it all and watch from the sidelines.
Last edit: 25 Jan 2010 00:59 by Ancient_of_MuMu.

More
25 Jan 2010 01:23 #53729 by quozl
I can't believe people are voting for Yahtzee on a map.

Vote: Diplomacy

More
25 Jan 2010 01:49 #53731 by daveroswell
quozl wrote:

I can't believe people are voting for Yahtzee on a map.

Vote: Diplomacy

I like Yahtzee. Risk gets my vote.

More
25 Jan 2010 02:19 #53732 by Johnny
War Vote Risk!.

One of the most playable games around vs one of the least playable... No contest.

More
25 Jan 2010 09:51 #53745 by caadamec
Vote: Risk

Pure nostalgia factor. I remeber as a kid getting such a kick out of the idea that a game could represent a war of conquest over the map of the world. This was such a departure from card games or things like Parchesi, etc.

Of course now this game looks simplistic and quite shallow, but for many I think it has that first 'wow' game factor.

More
25 Jan 2010 11:00 #53758 by southernman
Sorry - I play games to have a bit of fun and action, not to talk about it. And throw dice.

More
25 Jan 2010 11:09 #53760 by NeonPeon
Hmm I have no desire to play Classic Risk, maybe that Onyx one though. Diplomacy always sounded intriguing yet painful and I know half my group would hate it.

Vote: a half-hearted 7 for Risk

More
25 Jan 2010 11:58 #53766 by Aarontu
They are both age-old classics that still have loyal fans for good reasons, so I'll vote just on the endgame of each.

DIPLOMACY is great and has a lot of tension and excitement at the beginning of the game, but then it eventually loses steam and people sort of settle into alliances and then you just move your dudes around, waiting for one of three things:
1-someone to just take your last SC and finally knock you out of the game.
2-the inevitable stab from your ally
3-the opportunity to stab your ally for the win

and then it just drags on and on until one of those happens.

RISK is the classic "dominate the world" game with simple rules and dice rolling. As players trade in more sets, the trade-in rewards escalate, causing the wild swings of territory ownership to get bigger and bigger until finally someone takes it all. The end feels sort of random if it gets to that point, but at least there's stuff happening and the end of the game is in sight.

Or you could just play Mission Risk.

Vote: RISK

More
25 Jan 2010 12:39 #53778 by dave
Diplomacy is the type of game I'd only play with the other nerds in my gaming group.

We used to play co-ed Risk with some hot girls in our dorm.

Easy vote: Risk

More
25 Jan 2010 13:00 #53781 by dragonstout
Ancient_of_MuMu wrote:

Vote: Risk. It takes a bit less time and everyone can play. The thing that truly sucks about Diplomacy and ruins an otherwise fine game is that one person has to coordinate it all and watch from the sidelines.

WHAT THE FUCK this thread is gonna make me cry.

I have NEVER heard of, nor used, the above. A game-master for Diplomacy? Where did you hear that? You don't even remotely need a gamemaster.

Let's see...a game that is SO INTENSE that I've made people cry (granted, that was when we were teenagers, but even recently the game made for some lasting bad blood between a couple people), where you're involved CONSTANTLY and not just on your turn, vs....Risk?

There is no more gleefully sadistic moment in gaming than when everyone reveals their orders and, as the pieces start moving around, your "ally" realizes that everything he was promised would happen this turn, after trusting each other for the whole game, was lies, and he is now dead.

Vote: DIPLOMACY

More
25 Jan 2010 13:32 #53791 by Black Barney
Risk is fun. Plain vanilla fun. Classic Ameritrash, no?

Diplomacy feels like FOCKING WORK. Having to relationship manage is what I do all day. NO THANKS

Vote: RISK

More
25 Jan 2010 16:58 #53830 by mikoyan
I will admit I've never played Diplomacy, but it sounds interesting.

I used to play Risk alot when I was younger, so it has a warm place in my heart.

More
25 Jan 2010 19:27 #53850 by Mr MOTO
Because I'm pissed that I can't get seven people together for the time needed to play the other and because I can almost always find many people to play the other.

Vote:Risk

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds