October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Runebound VS Magic Realm

More
24 Jan 2010 21:33 #53722 by ChristopherMD

WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting on it. End your first post in this thread with the title of the game you're placing a bet on (i.e. voting for) so its clear to me when reading it later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. Counting expansions or not is entirely up to you just as playing with them or not is. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2010 22:36 #53723 by mjl1783
Are you fucking kidding?

Vote: Magic Realm

Anyone who votes for shitty-ass Runebound (enough of you for that abomination to win, I'm sure) is either retarded, or just plain doesn't know any goddamn better.

Either way, I can't blame you, but you really shouldn't be allowed to breed.

More
25 Jan 2010 01:34 #53730 by Mr Skeletor
Lame as a bag of dicks.
Christ, havn't we had this one before? Sure feels like it.
Fuck this shit.

More
25 Jan 2010 03:34 #53734 by jeb
Ye gods man.

One is a game you can score on Tanga if you're lucky. The other is one I have a standing offer of $80 out there for someone to take the time to homebrew me one.

Vote: MAGIC REALM

More
25 Jan 2010 11:14 #53762 by NeonPeon
In the greatest review ever, Robert Florence's video of Space Hulk, he passionately rants about how the game is his "ONE" and even kisses the box. Kind of crazy, but that's Magic Realm for me. I don't usually make out with that old dude in the sky though.

More
25 Jan 2010 13:36 #53793 by Almalik

Insert hyperbole about MR here, but really it's not too tough to be a better game than the steaming turd that is Runebound.

More
25 Jan 2010 16:56 - 25 Jan 2010 16:57 #53829 by maka
Magic Realm is plain and simple the best adventure/GMless RPG board game ever released. It's a game that was ahead of its time and in some ways it still is, with many clever mechanics that are still innovative today (the chit system to handle actions/fatigue/wounds which also gives each character its own personality and distinctive play style is genius and I haven't seen anything like it in modern games).

Magic Realm's world is alive and dynamic, with its own internal logic that lets you plan ahead and know which places to avoid but still surprises you with its randomness. It creates a story from the actual actions of the players and their interactions with each other and the game world without the need to resort to flavor text to create narrative. The result is that each game tells a different and usually engaging tale (just read the session reports, especially the ones from multiplayer games). The game puts players in the middle of this world to do what they want, how they want, and the interactions between the different elements of the games are so many that old players still find new stuff after having played the game for years.

Runebound is not that bad, and gets some things right (such as combat) but ultimately it's just a race to level up faster with not much to do except for fighting random monsters of increasing difficulty. You don't feel like you're exploring a land, or having an adventure. It's just move, encounter, fight, move with an occasional visit to a town to heal/buy stuff... and it's not even a short game (and many times just as long as MR)

Last edit: 25 Jan 2010 16:57 by maka.

More
25 Jan 2010 16:59 #53832 by Michael Barnes
For once MJ and I stand united. Instead of posting my own soliloqy as to why MAGIC REALM is the better game, I'll just repost his comment:

Are you fucking kidding?

Anyone who votes for shitty-ass Runebound (enough of you for that abomination to win, I'm sure) is either retarded, or just plain doesn't know any goddamn better.

Either way, I can't blame you, but you really shouldn't be allowed to breed.

More
25 Jan 2010 18:23 #53839 by mjl1783
For once MJ and I stand united.

What do you mean "for once," man? We agree on more things than you think. I just make more of a point of letting you know when I think you're full of shit, than I do congratulating you on every good point you make.

I'd imagine you, of all people, would respect that.

More
26 Jan 2010 09:39 - 26 Jan 2010 09:40 #53881 by Chapel

Is there any competition here? You should have waited for more people to play runewars, as that sound more apples to apples.
Last edit: 26 Jan 2010 09:40 by Chapel.

More
26 Jan 2010 14:36 - 26 Jan 2010 14:37 #53904 by Mr. Bistro
This past weekend I was supposed to play 4-player TI3. We set the game up lovingly, only to discover when we finihed that we were missing players. Some of our guys had to bail and TI3 got packed back up. It's replacement? Fucking Runebound. Imagine my heartbreak as I went from thinking I was going to play TI3, to the crushing realization I was going to instead play a game where I couldn't fight without thinking I was giving head and handjobs to my enemies.
Last edit: 26 Jan 2010 14:37 by Mr. Bistro.

More
05 Feb 2010 17:25 #54876 by NeonPeon
Hey where's are official tally here Mad Dog? :D

More
05 Feb 2010 17:54 #54887 by ChristopherMD
NeonPeon wrote:

Hey where's are official tally here Mad Dog? :D

One game didn't get any votes. Do the fucking math yourself.

More
06 Feb 2010 14:47 #54952 by NeonPeon
In what could very well be the first Trashdome shutout (correct me if I'm wrong), Magic Realm defeats Runebound 8-0!

Runebound = 0

Magic Realm = 8
mjl1783
jeb
NeonPeon
Almalik
maka
Michael Barnes
MWChapel
Mr. Bistro

More
08 Feb 2010 16:44 #55056 by generalpf
What a match up, it's like a street fight between a homeless guy and a math professor.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds