October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2662 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Republic Of Rome VS Kremlin

More
12 Feb 2010 16:51 #55459 by ChristopherMD

WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting on it. End your first post in this thread with the title of the game you're placing a bet on (i.e. voting for) so its clear to me when reading it later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. Counting expansions or not is entirely up to you just as playing with them or not is. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves
!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2010 18:25 #55470 by Juniper
Kremlin by a mile.

More
12 Feb 2010 18:34 #55472 by ChristopherMD
Juniper wrote:

Kremlin by a mile.

Why?

More
12 Feb 2010 18:38 #55473 by Juniper
Mad Dog wrote:

Juniper wrote:

Kremlin by a mile.

Why?

Republic of Rome might be epic in scale, but Kremlin is really funny.

More
12 Feb 2010 19:17 #55476 by Chapel
Is this for real? Uh, RoR by a country mile. :)

More
12 Feb 2010 19:42 #55477 by Juniper
How long is a country mile, relative to a regular mile?

More
12 Feb 2010 20:51 #55481 by Dogmatix
Juniper wrote:

How long is a country mile, relative to a regular mile?

Same as a "city mile" but it takes a hell of a lot longer to get to the payoff because there's been no notable infrastructure improvement (a la grading and paving).

Seems like an apt description of RoR, no? ;-)

Vote: Kremlin.

More
13 Feb 2010 00:51 #55490 by mikoyan
Having not played Republic of Rome but loving the hell out of Kremlin....I'll have to go with the commies.

Kremlin by a kilometer.

More
13 Feb 2010 06:49 #55499 by scissors
All roads lead to Rome. Vote: Republic of Rome

More
13 Feb 2010 09:46 #55503 by southernman
I had RoR for years but it never really excited me enough to try and play it. I have played Kremlin and, even though our group muddled our way through it, I thought it was fun and it would have gone well if we had played a second game. I always keep my eye out on eBay in case one pops up cheaply.

Vote: Kremlin (as it makes its third wave to the Trashdome crowd before it sends RoR to the gulag.)

More
13 Feb 2010 10:25 #55504 by dysjunct
I traded my copy of Agricola (complete with preordered animeeples) for Kremlin. One of the best trades I ever made.

Vote: Kremlin.

More
13 Feb 2010 13:33 #55511 by jgriff
Kremlin is a good game. It's fun, accessible, and promotes backstabbing. It's comfortable and entertaining. Its like..... a cheeseburger.

Republic of Rome isn't so accessible, it's got dense rules and can take a while to appreciate the backstabbing opportunities. However, its the perfect rare tenderloin....with seared foie gras. The backstabbing is much more intricate. It's the only political game that rewards carefully laid plans made turns in advance. In addition, it's the only competitive game that REQUIRES cooperation to work. I can't think of another coop style game with any difficulty like a matching Punic War and Hannibal in play. It's right up there with Adv Civ as the perfect game. In fact, if these two enter a Trashdome, then I can only abstain in a vote.

VOTE: REPUBLIC OF ROME (by a league)

More
13 Feb 2010 17:44 #55517 by Walterman
No contest. Republic of Rome is the better game. Republic of Rome is more fun. Republic of Rome has a more interesting theme. And my Valley Games edition of Republic of Rome finally arrived.
Vote: Republic of Rome

More
13 Feb 2010 18:07 #55518 by Dogmatix
Walterman wrote:

No contest. Republic of Rome is the better game. Republic of Rome is more fun. Republic of Rome has a more interesting theme. And my Valley Games edition of Republic of Rome finally arrived.

I would agree that RoR is the more impressive game--it's much grander in size, scope, and complexity. And, after you sort through the 20 years worth of errata (which it appears the VG edition has done), it's probably a truly great game. In muddling through my way through the VG edition of RoR though, it's truly a "gamer's game" while Kremlin is something else that I think resonates with a more casual crowd.

The food analogy above is pretty appropriate. Foodies love themselves some foie gras...while the bulk of the rest of the folks staring at the plate are wondering what that big bloody-grey slab of unadulterated cholesterol is muddying up their plate.

Some 20 years on, though, both are vastly superior to a hell of a lot of what's on the market these days....

More
14 Feb 2010 16:22 #55528 by sydo

It's long, interactive and full of backstabbing. Everybody keeps telling me that Kremlin is fun but something about the game just keeps repulsing me from it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds