October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome 2 - Dunwich Horror VS Innsmouth Horror

More
12 Feb 2010 17:16 #55460 by ChristopherMD

WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting on it. End your first post in this thread with the title of the game you're placing a bet on (i.e. voting for) so its clear to me when reading it later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. Counting expansions or not is entirely up to you just as playing with them or not is. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

I thought I'd try something different and throw a couple expansions into the Dome. Remember this isn't about which one you'd recommend to newbies, this is about which you would prefer to play with if you had to choose. They both bring different things to the game that normally you could mix-and-match, but not this time. Its one or the other.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2010 18:00 #55467 by jeb
This is not even close.

DUNWICH HORROR adds Injury and Madness cards which never leave my base game. INNSMOUTH is nice and all, but mot nearly the game changer that DH is.

More
12 Feb 2010 18:28 #55471 by Shellhead
Yeah, Dunwich is great, because the Madness & Injury cards are essential. Going insane or getting injured still sucks, but now it sucks in a fun and interesting way. The Dunwich board is a bit drab compared to Innsmouth, but the Dunwich Horror makes up for it as such an interesting potential threat.

Vote: Dunwich Horror.

More
12 Feb 2010 19:09 #55475 by southernman
I'm going to have to think about this a bit ... Shellhead and Jeb point out great pluses for DH .... but I like some of the characters in IH, the water movement, the board, the personal stories .....

More
12 Feb 2010 20:00 #55478 by Grudunza
I've only played with Dunwich once, and Innsmouth several times, so that may skew this somewhat, but I really love Innsmouth, and Dunwich is only okay for me. Everyone keeps hailing the Injury/Madness cards, and yes they make things simpler and more thematic, but to me they have a great flaw in that you automatically gain back full Stamina/Sanity when you take one. That just seems wonky to me... Hey, I got totally beat down by this terrible monster and now I'm back at full Stamina! You can actually game that when you're down on Sanity/Stamina to heal up right away, especially right before a Final Battle (the odds are the Injury/Madness may not be that debilitating).

Unlike Dunwich and especially Kingsport, where there are a few elements that I like to throw in, I like everything about Innsmouth; the board, the martial law, the Deep Ones Rising track, the aquatic locations, the personal stories... I think it's definitely the best all-around big box expansion.

Vote: Innsmouth Horror

(Btw, good idea for a Trashdome!)

More
12 Feb 2010 22:26 #55484 by KingPut
Great Epic Battle Mad Dog!

Both are great stories. Two of my favorite Lovecrafts stories. However, I think Dunwich is a slightly more interesting story. Advantage: Dunwich

Dunwich Madness / Injury Cards vs. Innmouth Stories. Both are completely unnecessary to play but once you've played with them you'll never want to play with out them. However, the Madness / Injury cards are just a lot of fun. Advantage: Dunwich

Characters: Dunwich has fairly normal characters. They seem similar to the base game. The Innsmouth characters seem pretty powerful and slightly more difficult to play than the normal characters. I think they're powerful so that you might have a chance against the ancient ones from Innsmouth. Advantage: Even

Ancient Ones: Most of the Ancient Ones in Innsmouth are fraking insane. Dunwich are at least beatable. Advantage: Dunwich

The Board: Dunwich has more board locations and it's easier to move around Dunwich. However, there's no reason to go visit Dunwich other than to get clues and to kill monsters. The Innsmouth map is kind of screwy. But is very cool because Innsmouth is a very scary place. You can get arrested. You can get turned into fish food. Advantage: Innsmouth

The Dunwich Horror vs. Deep One Track. When playing just the Basegame and Dunwich the Dunwich Horror can be a real pain in the ass. When playing with multiple expansions Dunwich can be pretty boring. The Deep One Track is never boring. Even when playing with multiple expansions, you'll probably have to deal with the deep one track at some time. Advantage: Innsmouth

If your going to buy one expansion I would suggest you buy Dunwich first. However, my favorite expansion to play is ....

Innsmouth Horror

More
12 Feb 2010 23:38 #55487 by The King in Yellow
"Remember this isn't about which one you'd recommend to newbies"
That's the line that swayed me. Dunwich is simpler, and is almost always used for that reason, but Innsmouth is more "colorful." I'm going to have to vote Innsmouth, but I confess that it's a very close call.

More
15 Feb 2010 20:37 #55624 by ChristopherMD

More
16 Feb 2010 01:16 #55643 by Space Ghost
Vote: Dunwich

I really like the Madness/Injury cards -- and some of the Dunwich Horror incarnations are pretty badass.

More
16 Feb 2010 06:33 #55655 by southernman
Finished thinking ... and Grundunza and KP helped with more mini reviews. I like a lot more of the bits in IH.

Vote: Innsmouth

More
16 Feb 2010 06:54 #55656 by mads b.
This is a very tough call. I've only played two games, I think, with Innsmouth and that means I'm more eager to try that again (not having visited all the locations and such). But while I like the personal stories for their flavour, the injuries/madness cards are just way cooler in both flavour and game play terms. They add a lot of extra issues to your character, but they also speed up the game a bit which is nice.

On the other hand I don't think I've ever had to fight the Dunwich Horror. It probably has woken up at some time, but I can't seem to remember having to pull one of the deliciously nasty monster tiles. Also Dunwich is, as someone said, a rather dull place. Innsmouth is more of a dangerous place with a lot of ambience.

Concerning characters I like the Dunwich ones and still play them. Of course one always wants to play with the new stuff, but I don't know if the Innsmouth characters are as long-lasting.

What the fuck. I should vote for Dunwich, but this thread made we want to play some more Arkham with INNSMOUTH so that's where my vote goes.

More
16 Feb 2010 08:49 - 17 Feb 2010 09:12 #55660 by Aarontu
Dunwich Horror

Only have Dunwich, but I'll vote for it for the extra items and skills and Injury/Madness cards.

Those Injury and Madness cards are awesome! I want to incorporate them into other games, somehow. They're just so flavorful!

-maybe instead of losing a life in Talisman, you gain an injury card. die when you have as many injuries as your life value. e.g. "broken leg: -1 to all your movement rolls" or "concussion: immediately discard all your spells"

-get injury cards instead of band aids in Ca$h n' Gun$. e.g. "shot in the right arm: you can't use your right arm for the rest of the game" or "Only a flesh wound: it's just a scratch! immediately discard this injury" or "neck wound: you must talk in a raspy voice for the rest of the game; occasionally cough up blood or something"

-Twilight Imperium 3rd ed (if your home planet is conquered, roll a die. On a 1-5, you are injured while escaping the planet, draw an injury card). I guess most injuries would actually affect the game, but if you were injured badly enough, you could lose a command counter to represent your lesser politicians trying to run the show while you recover.
Last edit: 17 Feb 2010 09:12 by Aarontu. Reason: spellng?

More
16 Feb 2010 11:40 #55670 by NeonPeon
Innsmouth Horror

I don't have either (I only have the base set cause I don't play very often). I'd like to try both, but only the injuries and madness sound cool. Nothing else about Dunwich sounds especially appealing. Innsmouth seems to be all kinds of awesome.

More
16 Feb 2010 21:55 - 16 Feb 2010 21:56 #55711 by lj1983
I dunno what to vote here. i like dunwich, and haven't played innsmouth. buuut...i'm kinda dissapointed with dunwich. the madness/injury cards are cool and add alot of flavor. and the extra locations are needed to keep the end game from becoming too stale. but honestly, that's it. dunwich locations are okay. I like the little bit about the dark man of wizards hill or whatever he's called. but its rare when someone both bargains with him AND he collects. when it happens its awesome.

the dunwich horror is kinda bleh though. its come out rarely (and there isn't a real dilution problem).

i dunno, it doesn't add alot of rules...so like has been said before it works well for relative beginners to 'upgrade' to. but I think i want more and I think i'll go with innsmouth next. though the epic battle cards sound awesome (that's kingsport, right?)

vote:innsmouth because it sounds awesomer
Last edit: 16 Feb 2010 21:56 by lj1983.

More
16 Feb 2010 22:38 #55715 by ubarose
Dunwich has the Injury/Madness cards, which makes the game so much more fun. And it has my favorite characters - Bessie Smith and Robert Johnson. Although the characters have some other names and they gave Robert Johnson a trumpet instead of a guitar. But we call them Robert and Bessie. And when we play, I get to load up the CD player with all my Bessie Smith and Robert Johnson CDs.

vote: Dunwich

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds