October 09, 2023
2485 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2687 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome 2 - Dunwich Horror VS Innsmouth Horror

More
16 Feb 2010 23:37 - 16 Feb 2010 23:42 #55720 by dysjunct
ubarose wrote:

Dunwich has the Injury/Madness cards, which makes the game so much more fun. And it has my favorite characters - Bessie Smith and Robert Johnson. Although the characters have some other names and they gave Robert Johnson a trumpet instead of a guitar.

This is a nod to "Dead Man Stomp," a great scenario from the recent editions of the Call of Cthulhu main book. Involves a jazz trumpeter of a different name. Very railroady, but some great set pieces excuse it.
Last edit: 16 Feb 2010 23:42 by dysjunct.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2010 09:41 #55735 by Shellhead
The other great thing about Dunwich is the Dunwich Horror itself. It doesn't have fixed stats, you have to draw a card do discover its current stats each time you enter combat with it. So the resistances and immunities vary, though it's always tough. Generally, the best way to go after the Dunwich Horror is with a big pile of clue tokens or a variety of weapons. You can't ignore it, though, because the impact on the Doom Factor is too big a threat.

While it's true that the Dunwich Horror didn't come out that often when you just played with the early expansion, there is a free Dunwich Horror herald available for download at the FFG site that changes the odds. Or if you play with mythos cards from The King in Yellow, there are a number of cards that move every monster on the board, increasing the odds of the Dunwich Horror manifesting. And finally, for those of you who haven't even tried The Black Goat of the Woods expansion, the Black Goat herald and/or the Dark Druid definitely increase the odds of the Dunwich Horror coming to town.

More
17 Feb 2010 12:24 #55742 by mrmarcus
I had to think for a while on this one. I think Dunwich adds more fun to the game, where Innsmouth adds more challenge. Choice of what you want in your Arkham Horror experience.

Vote: Dunwich Horror

More
17 Feb 2010 22:42 #55766 by ddsmith
Absolutely insane Great Old Ones, back story with game changing effects, inhuman threat that can't be ignored (regardless to dilution), violently antagonistic law enforcement; jailbreaks.

My avatar tells me: Innsmouth Horror

More
18 Feb 2010 00:43 #55769 by KingPut
Shellhead wrote:

The other great thing about Dunwich is the Dunwich Horror itself. It doesn't have fixed stats, you have to draw a card do discover its current stats each time you enter combat with it. So the resistances and immunities vary, though it's always tough. Generally, the best way to go after the Dunwich Horror is with a big pile of clue tokens or a variety of weapons. You can't ignore it, though, because the impact on the Doom Factor is too big a threat.

And than there is the game me, you and Thadd played where the Horror came out twice in the same game.

More
18 Feb 2010 00:44 #55770 by KingPut

Shellhead wrote:

And than there is the game me, you and Thadd played where the Horror came out twice in the same game

More
18 Feb 2010 09:28 #55779 by Shellhead
KingPut wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

And than there is the game me, you and Thadd played where the Horror came out twice in the same game

Well, the Horror was all embarrassed after somebody opened a sixpack of whupass and clue tokens all over it. He had to get some payback.

More
18 Feb 2010 12:38 #55794 by mrmarcus
Shellhead wrote:

Well, the Horror was all embarrassed after somebody opened a sixpack of whupass and clue tokens all over it. He had to get some payback.

That always seems to happen when he comes out in my games. First time he popped right on top of a guy with a Blessing and a Shotgun. The fight card had him magic immune. Three sixes later and it was "Dunwich what?"

Every other time since then the Horror's been put down because the card draw always seems to favor the attacking Investigator.

More
18 Feb 2010 17:57 #55817 by Mr Skeletor

More
20 Feb 2010 09:24 #55871 by ChristopherMD
Dunwich = 7
jeb
Shellhead
Space Ghost
Aarontu
ubarose
mrmarcus
Mr Skeletor

Innsmouth = 8
Grudunza
KingPut
The King in Yellow
Southernman
mads b.
NeonPeon
lj1983
ddsmith

More
07 Mar 2010 23:35 #57208 by Gary Sax
What an awesome thread. I would seriously paypal someone a few bucks to write a long comprehensive arkham horror expansions guide for the fort. Now that my girlfriend and I have fallen in love with AH and play it constantly (5 plays in a week and a half) I'm looking to pick up an expansion. I'll start with one of these.

More
08 Mar 2010 02:34 #57212 by southernman
As a starter and to save you some bucks, Frank made this post last year Expanding Arkham Horror.

More
08 Mar 2010 05:36 #57215 by KingPut
Gary Sax wrote:

What an awesome thread. I would seriously paypal someone a few bucks to write a long comprehensive arkham horror expansions guide for the fort. Now that my girlfriend and I have fallen in love with AH and play it constantly (5 plays in a week and a half) I'm looking to pick up an expansion. I'll start with one of these.

Start with Dunwich. Even though I voted that Innsmouth was my favorite expansion, If I was asked what the best 1st expansion to buy I would say Dunwich. The madness / injury cards are great and the Dunwich board and horror add some nice twists and turns for AH.

More
08 Mar 2010 08:34 #57217 by Gary Sax
Thanks southernman. There are so many threads about AH that the search function isn't at its best when looking for them.

More
08 Mar 2010 09:50 #57220 by mrmarcus
Second buying Dunwich first. It doesn't escalate the difficulty as much as Innsmouth does. The board doesn't hate you the way Innsmouth's board does.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds