October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2702 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Anniversarydome - Descent: JitD VS DOOM: TBG

More
21 Feb 2010 20:36 #56047 by Mr Skeletor
Vote: Descent, even though it is currently depressing me as I made a mess of it last time I packed it away and it's going to take me at least an hour to sort through it all :/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2010 23:09 #56066 by jgriff
Vote: Descent

It was Descent last year but it was close. There wasn't a huge difference between the two but Descent seemed more polished and had alot more chrome/options (pick your side).

However. since last year, I picked up Sea of Blood and looked at Road to Legend and it's no longer even close. It's a different way to play and it's a whole hell of lot better.

More
22 Feb 2010 07:10 #56091 by Protoss
Doom

Doom is faster and cleaner. There's a lot of stuff in Descent that slows down the game. Shopping! Perhaps this makes it more attractive to women? In Doom you make do with what you find. Which means that you will probably use every weapon you find since you usually find the weakest weapons first. And in Doom you attack and that's it. In Descent you attack and then you see how you can use what you got to kill the monster? Your first result didn't kill the monster? Then you continue to attack with one more die, and one more, and one more. What's the monster doing in the meantime? Waiting to be killed? Descent is fun but too slow and too much about optimization. Doom is more brutal.

More
22 Feb 2010 09:28 #56100 by dysjunct
Doom, for the reasons listed. Descent added breadth but not depth.

More
22 Feb 2010 12:49 #56121 by generalpf
Both games are lame attempts to do something on the tabletop that is already done well on the PC or console. Both fail, equally hard.

VOTE: Fellatio

More
22 Feb 2010 13:44 - 22 Feb 2010 13:48 #56124 by caadamec
DESCENT

Simply because I HATE board games based on video games. Yuck!

Also Descent can be a simple or as complex as you like it with all the expansions. I don't care what anyone says, I also love all the Descent/Runebound characters and have much more fun playing them than some anonymous 'space marines' from Doom...
Last edit: 22 Feb 2010 13:48 by caadamec.

More
22 Feb 2010 14:24 #56129 by DeletedUser
I'm kinda over generic fantasy dungeon crawls.

Vote: Doom: TBG

More
23 Feb 2010 10:11 #56250 by Rliyen

For lo, if I wanted to play against monsters in a sci-fi setting, I'll just pull out Blood Berets, Fury of the Clansmen, or the AT grail: Siege of the Citadel (complete with DIY Brotherhood/Praetorian Stalkers).

More
23 Feb 2010 10:16 #56253 by Rliyen
generalpf wrote:

Both games are lame attempts to do something on the tabletop that is already done well on the PC or console. Both fail, equally hard.

VOTE: Fellatio

Thank you, Gen. You just made me snort out loud at work.

More
23 Feb 2010 11:28 #56259 by Space Ghost

For me, it is the campaign mode. My group loves it -- we finished up RtL last fall and will likely start on SoB this spring.

More
24 Feb 2010 19:28 #56409 by ChristopherMD
Mid-Week Update. Its a close battle with Descent currently in the lead, but still two days to go. Its anybody's fight!

Descent: Journeys In The Dark
Turek
metalface13
Xlyce
kookoobah
Mr Skeletor
jgriff
caadamec
Rliyen
Space Ghost

DOOM: The Board Game
lj1983
Schweig!
moss_icon
volnon
Aarontu
Protoss
dysjunct
Death and Taxis

Prefers To Give Fellatio
generalpf

More
24 Feb 2010 21:12 #56419 by Merkles
From what I hear, I need to play Descent with Will Kenyon. I wish--b/c when I've played, it has only been as the Overlord/DM guy and I always forget crap. And there's a ton of it in Descent, it seems. I've still enjoyed the games that I've played--but think I'd need to play far more to get smooth at it.

Doom seems more straightforward--but I haven't played it. Just got it in trade, so I'll try it

But for now:

VOTE: Descent

More
25 Feb 2010 01:06 #56446 by OldHippy
Doom (next to Risk 2210) was the game that got me back into gaming. When Descent came out I bought it immediately because I loved Doom so much. But as time carried on our group decided that since we already play D&D every week or so Decent was just a weaker version of it. Doom had no replacement for us... it was it's own thing. Granted now I have Space Hulk and it does what Doom did better... but it's only two players. Doom still holds a special place for me because of what it did.. Descent is more generic. I have to vote for Doom.

I also happen to think that Descent is pretty much the same game with little else extra to reccomend it. Played in a tierd old fantasy setting I've seen too many times. Doom feels like it's own world, it feels like no other game... even Space Hulk feels like a different world. Probably due to the difference in monsters that Doom has.

Note: I don't play video games, I've never played Doom, I just bought it because it looked cool.

vote: Doom

More
26 Feb 2010 12:33 - 26 Feb 2010 12:37 #56535 by Ska_baron

Dont own Doom, but would love to play it some time. Played through the first 3 quests in Descent now (always as the OL), and after killing the heroes in our learning games, they've figured stuff out and I dont think *I* have figured out enough to put them in their place. So I'm hoping some of it's that these earlier quests are easier, but I dunno...

I thought playing quest 3 with only 3 heroes would be good, but I think the closest I got to winning was 5 or 6 conquest and they ended with almost 20. A sad, sad day in the dungeon. I think part of the problem is a part of me wants them to enjoy it and so I dont really optimize my moves, while they are coniving and plotting together. Gotta get more cutthroat.
Last edit: 26 Feb 2010 12:37 by Ska_baron.

More
26 Feb 2010 13:07 #56538 by metalface13
The later quests get more difficult. As do the quests in the expansions.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds