October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2655 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Dungeon Lords VS Galaxy Trucker

More
06 Mar 2010 13:19 #57132 by ChristopherMD

WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting on it. End your first post in this thread with the title of the game you're placing a bet on (i.e. voting for) so its clear to me when reading it later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. Counting expansions or not is entirely up to you just as playing with them or not is. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2010 19:13 #57154 by OldHippy
Dungeonlords is fuckin cool, interactive or not. It's funny, the combat/adventurer mechanism is really clever and the theme would be very difficult to divorce from the mechanisms. I really enjoyed the 2 games I played so far and I look forward to the next one as well.

Galaxy Trucker is one of my favorites though. The game is incredibly fun and tense. It's easily as clever as DL but it is also infintely more original and that gets major bonus points from me. The only Vladaa design I would choose over GT is Space Alert.

I love them both, but

vote: Galaxy Trucker

More
06 Mar 2010 23:49 #57164 by Merkles
VOTE: Galaxy Trucker. It is fun. I can play it with my brother-in-law and nephews with no problem. Everyone is usually laughing (in 2nd phase of the game). It is a puzzle that is also competitive, but you get to see your ship blasted to smithereens.

Dungeon Lords never captured my interest...I almost played it at Averyfest..but it was late, my brain was fried, so I begged out (Billy played instead). Seemed a bit too mechanical for me...

Even if it was good, would have been hard to top Galaxy Trucker

More
07 Mar 2010 04:24 #57166 by sydo
Vote: Galaxy Trucker

I have no interest in DL but GT is fun and the expansion makes the journey even harder and there is even a little potential for interaction, even if very limited.

More
07 Mar 2010 08:31 #57171 by Jarvis
Ohh, good comparisons. I really enjoy both of these games. Both are creative and feel pretty unique to me. I have to give the edge to Galaxy Trucker however. DL can be a little too demanding on resource management, especially for a first time player. GT I feel is more fun (I like the chaos of trying to get the best pieces away from the other players).

More
09 Mar 2010 09:50 #57276 by Rliyen

For a board game can never fully grasp the greatness that is Dungeon Keeper.

More
09 Mar 2010 10:11 #57278 by Shellhead
Shellhead throws a molotov cocktail at TrashDome.

More
09 Mar 2010 11:03 - 09 Mar 2010 11:04 #57281 by VonTush

GT is just a great game. With the people I've played it with, usually everyone has a fun time. To me that signifies a great game.

DL I played once so far and the game makes part of me sad. It is not what I would have designed given the theme and in a way I feel like this great theme was wasted. But what I do like about the game is the theme is very tied to what is happening in the game and the game drives a lot of what my decisions are instead of just calculating how I can eek out the most VPs in a turn. The theme, how the mechanics are tied to it and the amount of chaos that is in the game does make it one of my favorite heavier Euro games but it is still not up there with GT.
Last edit: 09 Mar 2010 11:04 by VonTush.

More
09 Mar 2010 22:13 #57328 by Cygler
I Like Both of these games

However I'm more a fantasy guy than a sci fi person so Dungeon Lords appeals to me slightly more.

Vote : Dungeonlords

More
10 Mar 2010 05:20 #57339 by Mr Skeletor
vote: Dungeonlords

I enjoy both a lot, but while galaxy trucker is more trashy, DL is a bit deeper. Both are essentially programing phases followed by action phases, but DL allows you to still 'play' during the action phase, whereas galaxy trucker's action phase is a lot more automated.
Also, DL does the impossible and makes worker placement interesting.

More
10 Mar 2010 18:08 #57386 by Michael Barnes
Dear god, I agree with Frank.

I just played DUNGEON LORDS last week. Good god, what a fucking complicated game. Zero player interaction. Worker placement. The whole three slots/four players thing. A ton of stuff I hate. But I really liked it! It's not at all what I imagined a DUNGEON KEEPER board game to look like, but it totally works and it's absolutely true to its theme. And it is funny, and it does have that whole Vlaada "built it up and they tear it down" feeling.

The really neat thing is that it's a big, wrangly Eurogame but points and winning are really irrelevant. It really is about the fun of building and managing a dungeon, not squeezing out VPs or achieving economical efficiency.

Full review is forthcoming, but I'll lodge my vote- DUNGEON LORDS.

Both games are great, though.

More
10 Mar 2010 19:44 #57393 by Mr Skeletor
Michael Barnes wrote:

Zero player interaction.

You don't agree with me too much then, as I think the game has player interaction.
The key to the game is watching what all of the other players do, and anticipating what their moves will be, so you can get your minions on the track bits you want. While the same can be said of Purto Rico and the like, DL does it much more successfully.

Also you forgot to vote.

More
11 Mar 2010 00:09 #57409 by The King in Yellow
Ugh, Dungeon Lords left me cold. It seems like they took a great idea and made long and tedious. It's as fun as managing a spreadsheet.

More
12 Mar 2010 22:02 #57526 by ChristopherMD
Dungeon Lords = 3
Cygler
Mr Skeletor
Michael Barnes

Galaxy Trucker = 7
JonJacob
Merkles
sydo
Jarvis
Rliyen
LordVonTush
The King in Yellow

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds