October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2652 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Nexus Ops VS Risk Revised any version

More
11 Apr 2010 17:40 #59440 by ChristopherMD

WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting on it. End your first post in this thread with the title of the game you're placing a bet on (i.e. voting for) so its clear to me when reading it later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. Counting expansions or not is entirely up to you just as playing with them or not is. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2010 18:28 #59443 by Rliyen
You had to put the caveat of "Risk: Any Version", huh?

In that case: Vote: Risk : SW Original Trilogy Edition.

More
11 Apr 2010 18:47 - 11 Apr 2010 19:12 #59447 by DeletedUser
Nexus Ops is good, very good even, but I don't have any great desire to play it often.

I have always enjoyed playing classic Risk and Risk Revised only made a great game better. A meatier experience by far.

Vote: Risk
Last edit: 11 Apr 2010 19:12 by DeletedUser. Reason: Mad Dog changing the rules

More
11 Apr 2010 18:47 #59448 by ChristopherMD
Rliyen wrote:

Risk Revised any version (i.e. Revised, Black Ops, or Halo Wars)

More
11 Apr 2010 22:51 #59451 by mjl1783
NO: "Hi, I'm Nexus Ops"

RISK: "And I'm Risk"

NO: "I distill the Axis & Allies-style conquest game down to its essence, stripping away all the extraneous process that detracts from the fun of rolling dice and destroying your opponents."

RISK: "I did the same thing before Axis & Allies was invented."

NO: "I use secret objectives to give players direction, as well as cut down on dogpiling and kingmaking, which makes things more immediate and competitive."

RISK: "Sort of like I did almost 20 years ago with Secret Mission Risk. You're welcome, by the way."

NO: "Oh yeah? Well, I have unit differentiation. I've got glow-in-the-dark giant bugs, rock monsters, outer space army guys..."

RISK: "And since I have none of those things, you can be seen with me in front of girls without being automatically condemned to a life of celibacy."

Vote: Risk

More
12 Apr 2010 00:04 #59455 by The King in Yellow
mjl1783 wrote:

NO: "Oh yeah? Well, I have unit differentiation. I've got glow-in-the-dark giant bugs, rock monsters, outer space army guys..."

RISK: "And since I have none of those things, you can be seen with me in front of girls without being automatically condemned to a life of celibacy."

Married and consequently condemned to a life of celibacy.

Vote: Nexus Ops

More
12 Apr 2010 00:14 #59456 by jeb
I really like the combat in NEXUS OPS--a lot. They did such an awesome job here. RISK is neat in that it doesn't seem like the combat should work at all, but it somehow does. But the unit differentiation, with their movement tricks, order of attack, and so forth make NEXUS OPS more interesting and swingy to me. RISK is so plodding and methodical. RISK REVISED is this, but less so. That's not a huge change.

Vote: NEXUS OPS.

More
12 Apr 2010 00:18 #59457 by Rliyen
Mad Dog wrote:

Rliyen wrote:

Risk Revised any version (i.e. Revised, Black Ops, or Halo Wars)

I'm still voting POTATOES!

More
12 Apr 2010 02:27 - 12 Apr 2010 13:38 #59467 by southernman
I haven't had the opportunity to play any of the Revised versions, those arrows in the retail edition look frakkin stupid and I wouldn't play that one just for that, but the rule changes for all those versions sound well thought out so I'll still keep my eyes open for a Halo Wars edition. But until then, I love playing Nexus Ops ...

Last edit: 12 Apr 2010 13:38 by southernman.

More
12 Apr 2010 04:06 #59468 by Matt Thrower
It's a harder matchup than it looks at first. But I don't play much Risk anymore, whereas I do play a lot of Nexus Ops. So Nexus Ops gets my vote.

More
12 Apr 2010 07:00 #59470 by mjl1783
I like the arrows. They make the board look like an old wartime newsreel.

More
12 Apr 2010 09:10 #59477 by Aarontu
vote: Nexus Ops

It's like StarCraft! Plus, I really like the cartoony-ness of the artwork and models. I like its unique look.

More
12 Apr 2010 09:27 #59479 by Sagrilarus
I'll take standard Risk with the rules we played as a kid -- maximum seven bonus armies per card set. Taking continents becomes ultra-important and waiting to trade in or attack is pointless. The game flows better. But . . . player elimination is quicker and more inevitable. I'm ok with that.

I agree this one is tough as both games are good, but my vote is for Risk.

S.

More
12 Apr 2010 11:07 #59491 by maka
I really like how combat works in Nexus Ops (each type of unit attacking in sequence) It makes big units vulnearble unless you protect them with other small units and adds interesting tactics to the game. Also, the game is VERY fast, and the fact you're getting all sorts of objectives to gain points makes the game much more interesting than just having to wipe your enemies out.

More
12 Apr 2010 13:39 #59503 by southernman
mjl1783 wrote:

I like the arrows. They make the board look like an old wartime newsreel.

And I'd probably get used to them if I played the game and loved the rules - I'm just a shallow grumpy bastard.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds