October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Arkham Horror VS Battlestar Galactica

More
19 Apr 2010 09:21 #60213 by mikoyan
While I like both games, I think I like Battlestar Galatica a little more.

So Battlestar Galatica gets my vote.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2010 09:21 - 19 Apr 2010 09:22 #60214 by san il defanso
Vote: BSG

Arkham Horror is a great game, but BSG has more interaction, simpler rules, and plays in less time. I'm always in favor of playing the other players rather than the design itself, and that's what BSG does best.
Last edit: 19 Apr 2010 09:22 by san il defanso. Reason: bad code

More
19 Apr 2010 09:59 #60217 by Ken B.
This is almost...ALMOST...as painful as War of the Ring versus The Queen's Gambit.

Narrowly, I must vote BSG. But let's face facts--these are two of the finest games released in the past decade.

More
19 Apr 2010 10:19 #60218 by Walterman
I have never had an enjoyable game of BSG. Flip crisis card. Hope for a card to speed up jump so game ends sooner. The obvious cylon puts bad card in. Humans put good cards in. Add random cards. Repeat until all players quit.

I have also never been in a game of BSG that was played to the end, unless all players quitting is an end.

If you enjoy Shadows over Camelot rethemed as a sci-fi game, cool, but I have to vote for the fun game.

Vote: Arkham Horror

More
19 Apr 2010 10:58 #60220 by Msample
BSG is a tighter game and easier to teach to new players . Arkham has longer stretches of downtime and adding in expansions causes the game to bog down at times, not to mention have a huge table footprint.

Vote BSG.

More
19 Apr 2010 11:17 #60223 by OldHippy
I can't sit through BSG the series. It feels like a bad soap opera for men. The acting is over the top, the story weak, the complete lack of humour dissapointing...

At least Lovecrafts stories are one offs and over pretty quickly. He invented a unique universe and I can admire that (even though is prose is not very tight, sometimes laughably bad, and every story is almost the same). It really comes down to the game for me because as is BSG has to lose to Arkham based on orignal setting versus lame old show updated for fanboys.

But that's the next problem. BSG is an awesome metagame with almost no actual game. I think that BSG is FAR FAR more group dependant, well, they're both group dependant but BSG is especially so. Without the right group BSG is a complete waste of time. Whereas Arkahm would still be o.k. and there are some things you can do on your own. Also, BSG doesn't have many options. I always feel like I'm not sure what to do on my turn because it always feels like either I have no choice, or it doesn't matter.

It is nice to be involved a little during other peoples turns though, but in Arkahm I get some of that just because we all argue about what each person should do in case it fucks with our plans. This is almost a tough call for me, but looking at it now it's more and more obvious as as I write...

vote: Arkahm Horror

More
19 Apr 2010 11:31 #60225 by Shellhead
Msample wrote:

BSG is a tighter game and easier to teach to new players.

I disagree about the ease of teaching Arkham. Since Arkham is a co-op, you can tell new players what they need to know as the game goes on. With BSG, it's important that they understand all the rules for both sides before the game starts, because in a paranoid game, it's difficult to ask questions without attracting suspicion, especially if those questions are related to crucial Cylon things, like revealing as a Cylon.

More
19 Apr 2010 11:56 #60226 by Matt Thrower
Shellhead wrote:

I disagree about the ease of teaching Arkham. Since Arkham is a co-op, you can tell new players what they need to know as the game goes on. With BSG, it's important that they understand all the rules for both sides before the game starts, because in a paranoid game, it's difficult to ask questions without attracting suspicion, especially if those questions are related to crucial Cylon things, like revealing as a Cylon.

Absolutely. In my very first game of BSG one of the Cylon players misunderstood a rule and showed themselves as a Cylon in the very first skill check. In AH on the other hand not only can an experienced player teach newbies the rules as they go along, but he can actually manage the entire administrative portion of the game himself without even having to explain it. You don't need to know the details of how monsters move to make good group decisions in AH.

More
19 Apr 2010 12:00 #60227 by metalface13
Vote: Arkham Horror. It's the best adventure game.

More
19 Apr 2010 12:02 #60228 by Chapel
I always found Arkham Horror a little to "linear" for my tastes. And BSG is so far the only coop game I really like. I love the meta-gaming aspect of BSG and finding and accusing the Cylons.

More
19 Apr 2010 12:29 #60234 by Gary Sax
mrmarcus wrote:

The senseless waste of pitting these two mighty forces of nature against each other, like matter vs. anti-matter, will be a tragedy, not only for the games involved but for our planet. All nations must band together, to ensure that such a conflageration never takes place.

++ This.

Arkham Horror though, by a limit approaching but never reaching 0.

More
19 Apr 2010 12:31 #60235 by blarknob
BSG

I've never had any interest in cthulu stuff.

More
19 Apr 2010 13:07 #60242 by Schweig!
I do not understand the obsession with Arkham Horror. I would rate it a disappointingly 7. Maybe even a 6.5!

BSG on the other hand is the best non-war game.

More
19 Apr 2010 14:31 #60245 by southernman
Frakking rising GOOs - has the earth (either of them) gone mad ?!
These are two great games and I would pay good blood to see KenB in utter turmoil again.

AH does well for any number of players although I hear it gets quite busy with five or more, while I hate BSG with 3,4 or 6 players (although the Cylon Leader helps with 6). I have no probs with co-op games (unless the game sucks) but I enjoy the 'opposing teams' options that BSG brings to co-ops (similar to Fury of Dracula or LotR with Sauron) so you still get to compete against someone. AH gives your the 'how the hell are we ever going to get through this feeling' while BSG provides the back-stabbin paranoia take-that.

So my vote has to go with the game that just gives me a good dose of fun as well as enjoyment

More
19 Apr 2010 14:32 #60246 by flim_flam
AH can be played solo and has a rich, immersive theme. BSG on the other hand IS TOTALLY FUCKING AWESOME!! So...

BSG

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.246 seconds