October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Starship Catan VS Perry Rhodan

More
12 Sep 2010 12:01 #73702 by ChristopherMD

WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting on it. End your first post in this thread with the title of the game you're placing a bet on (i.e. voting for) so its clear to me when reading it later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. Counting expansions or not is entirely up to you just as playing with them or not is. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2010 12:25 #73703 by moofrank
Hmmm. Not really very trashy, and I bet there will only be a tiny handful of people who have played them both.

Starship is a longer game with more focus on ship upgrades and exploration. It is also practically lacking in interaction. Perry Rhodan is a shorter game with no exploration and a focus on pick up and deliver.

Vote: Starship Catan. Just barely.

I really love adventurey games and Settlers, and so the style appeals to me more. And the lack of interaction doesn't bother me as much as some folks here.

More
12 Sep 2010 16:58 #73712 by lj1983
only played starship catan. very dissapointing. it felt like a combination of Race for the galaxy and Galaxy trucker (I know both are newer games), but weaker than both. fiddly and slow with little payoff.

perry rhodan is supposed to be a 2 player version of Merchant of Venus

vote: Perry Rhodan

More
12 Sep 2010 17:19 #73715 by dave
lj1983 wrote:

[Starship Catan] felt like a combination of Race for the galaxy and Galaxy trucker

W.
T.
F.

Anyways, Starship Catan was always so-so for me because I didn't like the strategic balance in the game (i.e., there is a single line to pursue, making every game samey), and the memory element was a little over-the-top (and I like a little memory in my games). We've been thru at least two of the published scenarios, and they were interesting but in the end not much better as games. I do like the resource mechanism; I prefer the Anno game (+ exp) which put the same mechanism into a board game.

I've played Perry Rhodan once, and it was okay. Not among the best Kosmos for me, but a decent and cute little game.

Vote: Perry Rhodan.

(But I'd take Settlers Card Game over both.)

More
13 Sep 2010 11:44 - 13 Sep 2010 11:48 #73771 by ubarose
Vote: Perry Rhodan

It's a fast playing, two-player in a small box. For us, it fills the niche that Lost Cities fills for other couples. But, unlike Lost Cities, Perry Rhodan doesn't suck.

We nearly always bring it with us to game nights because we usually arive at exactly the wrong time and need something to play while waiting for games in progress to finish up. There's no memory element to it, which the Man dislikes about Starship Catan. There's more player interaction, and the set up, clean up and play time is shorter than Starship Catan. It's not deep, or hugely exciting, but there aren't many other quick two player games that I enjoy as much.
Last edit: 13 Sep 2010 11:48 by ubarose.

More
14 Sep 2010 17:19 #73981 by MrZir
Perry Rhodan

For all the same reasons Uba mentioned.

More
14 Sep 2010 17:29 #73983 by Ken B.
Starship Catan was boring, and took too long for what it is.

VOTE: PERRY MASON IN SPACE...I guess

More
14 Sep 2010 18:46 #74002 by Mr Skeletor
I have never even heard of Perry Rhodan! What the hell is it?

More
14 Sep 2010 18:54 #74005 by ChristopherMD
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Kosmos 2-player that's apparently based on Merchants Of Venus, which judging by the comments here must be the most boring game ATers like.

More
14 Sep 2010 21:15 #74032 by ubarose
Mad Dog wrote:

Mr Skeletor wrote:

Kosmos 2-player that's apparently based on Merchants Of Venus, which judging by the comments here must be the most boring game ATers like.

HA! You are probably right.

Perry Rhodan is a pick up and deliver game in space. Although "space" in this case is planets arranged in a straight line. Goods that need to be delivered to a specific planet appear, and you have to fly your space ship to the planet they appear on, load them into your ship and then fly them to their destination and unload them and get paid. You have a hand of cards that you play to take special actions, or screw with your opponent. You can use your money to buy technology cards out of your hand as well, to make your ship go faster, hold more stuff, etc. First person to make a certain amount of money wins. It's listed in the Z-man catalog it's listed as a card game.

As I said, it's not a super exciting game, but neither is Starship Catan.

More
14 Sep 2010 22:22 #74042 by Mr Skeletor
Why is it called "Perry Rhondan"? That sounds like the lead singer of a 90s grunge band.

More
More
14 Sep 2010 22:43 #74046 by ubarose
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Why is it called "Perry Rhondan"? That sounds like the lead singer of a 90s grunge band.

Perry Rhondan is a pulp science fiction hero. There's like over 100 books in the series or something like that. I read a couple when I was a kid, but I don't remember much about them.

More
15 Sep 2010 06:31 #74069 by dan daly
I've never played either game.

It's a fast playing, two-player in a small box. For us, it fills the niche that Lost Cities fills for other couples. But, unlike Lost Cities, Perry Rhodan doesn't suck.

That niche is dominated by Battle Line in our house.

More
15 Sep 2010 07:14 #74070 by Shapeshifter
Just "reading" the Starship Catan" rules gave me a headache.
Don't know why, I usually read far more complex rules and enjoy that, but this particular rules seemed both fiddly and and not in sync with the lightness of the game. I sold it without the urge to play it, which says alot about how I feel about the game.

Perry Rhodan is exactly how Uba describes. It's not the ultimate spaceship pick up and delivery game. But it's fast-playing and just offers enough depth for it's short playtime.

So my vote: Perry Rhodan with a head start

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds