October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Mall Of Horror VS A Touch Of Evil

More
11 Oct 2010 18:10 #76460 by ChristopherMD

WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting on it. End your first post in this thread with the title of the game you're placing a bet on (i.e. voting for) so its clear to me when reading it later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. Counting expansions or not is entirely up to you just as playing with them or not is. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2010 18:26 - 11 Oct 2010 18:27 #76464 by Shellhead
Vote: Mall of Horror.

Mall of Horror is a twisted variation on worker placement, with a voting element that appeals strongly to Jyhad players like myself. It is refreshingly different from all the other zombie games on the market, and places more of a focus on the conflict between human survivors seen in the classic Romero movies.

A Touch of Evil has a couple of interesting ideas, but is generally intended to be Arkham Horror Lite. I have the real Arkham Horror, and it's one of my all-time favorite games, so I have no use for Arkham Lite.
Last edit: 11 Oct 2010 18:27 by Shellhead.

More
11 Oct 2010 18:44 #76467 by DeletedUser
"We may be best friends and all, but if zombies are ever chasing us, I'm going to trip you."

Vote: Mall of Horror

More
11 Oct 2010 19:18 #76469 by Mr Skeletor
Havn't played Mall Of Horror, but Touch of Evil is under-rated around here.

Vote: TOE

More
11 Oct 2010 23:29 #76492 by Space Ghost
Vote: Touch of Evil.

Mall of Horror is somewhat lame. There isn't enough meat in the game in terms of strategy to allow enough diplomacy and negotiation to make the voting process interesting. Just a rethemed version of Lifeboat with zombies and shopping.

More
11 Oct 2010 23:48 #76494 by mjl1783
Mall of Horror is a great game to play with people that don't normally play board games, because it's kind of a party game, and they wrote enough zombie flick cliches into the rules that people tend to buy into the theme easily.

Playing it with regular gamers? Not so much. Your collective enthusiasm will wane pretty quickly, and then it's just a matter of going through the motions. So, I guess it's a great game if you're playing with people who don't realize that it isn't actually great.

A Touch of Evil, though... I only played it once, but good lord was it ever boring. The theme is cool, and some of the rules are inventive, but it's just to sluggishly paced that I had to fight to stay awake, let alone interested. If I want to play a game with a corny "spooky" atmosphere, I'll play Nightmare or Vampire Hunter instead. At least those games have novelty going for them.

Vote: MoH

More
12 Oct 2010 05:11 #76508 by Notahandle
Mr Skeletor wrote: " Vote: TOE"
Space Ghost wrote: " Vote: Touch of Evil."
WTF!? Have you guys turned into Barnes?!!!

More
12 Oct 2010 06:32 #76511 by scissors
Because of the relaxing times my opponents were eaten in the parking lot while I hid out in mall...

Vot: Mall of Horror

More
12 Oct 2010 19:31 #76560 by KingPut
Space Ghost wrote:

Just a rethemed version of Lifeboat with zombies and shopping.

Why I voting for Mall of Horror.

More
12 Oct 2010 23:39 #76570 by The King in Yellow
A Touch of Evil
I don't even have to do any pondering.

More
13 Oct 2010 00:53 #76573 by ModelVillain
...Because the guy with the handgun gets +1 vote

Interesting matchup for horror-based themes, one cooperative while the other viciously competitive. MoH can vary but is often excellent, particularly with players unafraid of getting creative when negotiating.

Besides, while the worst that can happen with AToE is perhaps an overdose of community-theater campiness, MoH presents the possibility of watching in morbid fascination as relationships/marriages are put to the test. Good times!

More
13 Oct 2010 13:28 #76593 by Rliyen

More
13 Oct 2010 14:04 #76599 by Grudunza
I've only played ATOE solo/cooperative, and I think it's probably better as a competitive game, but for what I played I thought it was alright, but just made me want to play Arkham Horror that much more.

Mall of Horror was kind of "meh" the one time I played it, but I could see where it would be great sometimes. A good potential there for negotiation and screwage.

More
13 Oct 2010 14:15 #76601 by wkover
It isn't perfect, but it has screaming honeys that attract zombies. And who doesn't love the parking lot.

Vote: Mall of Horror.

More
13 Oct 2010 14:45 #76607 by OldHippy
Well, Mall of Horror holds no interest for me. But I really like AToE. I love the elders mechanism, not just in principle but in execution as well. I really like the locations and the way it fits together. The secrets are a great addition.

It's not really an Arkham light as most people say. It has very few similarities except for the 5 and 6 are hits/skill check thing, and besides a huge number of games have been using similar skill checks since the 80's. Other then that it's almost completely different. The villians are great, the world is cool, the hero's are unique and interesting. It plays fast and you can play with non-gamers just like Mall of Horror, but it's not as awfull for actual gamers.

vote:

ATOE

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds