October 09, 2023
2485 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2687 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Castle Ravenloft VS Descent: JitD

More
01 Nov 2010 01:32 #78068 by ChristopherMD

WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting on it. End your first post in this thread with the title of the game you're placing a bet on (i.e. voting for) so its clear to me when reading it later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. Counting expansions or not is entirely up to you just as playing with them or not is. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

D&D Castle Ravenloft
VS
Descent: Journeys yada yada

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2010 01:50 #78069 by Mr Skeletor
We have had this matchup a dozen times already.
What more is there to say?

More
01 Nov 2010 08:27 #78076 by scissors
It's on! Vote: Descent: journey yadda yadda.

More
01 Nov 2010 08:34 #78079 by Mr. White
I was hoping for LNoE vs Betrayal. Have we had that one?

Anyway, if this were CR vs Heroquest, AHQ, WHQ, etc then CR would not get my vote, but against Descent...

Vote: Castle Ravenloft

More
01 Nov 2010 09:11 #78084 by Stormcow
I'll admit that I was not a huge fan of Descent to start with. I was done with it way before CR was even announced. Too much dead time! Castle Ravenloft is essentially the same game as Descent, but with a much faster pace and and set-up. No contest for me.

Vote: Castle Ravenloft.

More
01 Nov 2010 09:42 #78085 by Ken B.
VOTE: DESCENT

More
01 Nov 2010 09:50 #78088 by OldHippy
I loved Decent when it first came out and played the shit out of it. We don't play it anymore really... kind of tierd of playing the same scenario's and never bought an expansion. We went back to D&D for awhile but now it looks like it's only going to come out once every two years or so... which is fine.

If we want to play a lighter Dungeon Crawl then it's back to our youth and back to Heroquest.

4th edition D&D sucks my balls every chance it gets. It's just a greedy little ball sucker. Our groupd calls it Euro D&D. It's over balanced. Castle Ravenloft looks like it would do everything it could to ruin all the great memories I have of fighting Straud as a youth in a good D&D system. It looks like it would do anything it could to rape that one part of my youth that is better left alone. Fuck Castle Ravenloft for making a boring dungeon crawl that is too little 20 yerars to late. WOTC can suck my balls.

FFG is still on good terms with me

vote: Decent

More
01 Nov 2010 10:40 #78102 by Columbob

More
01 Nov 2010 10:53 #78104 by Ska_baron
Descent's not as enchanting to me as HeroQuest was when I first got it, but then again I ain't 7 now either.

Vote: Descent!

More
01 Nov 2010 10:56 - 01 Nov 2010 10:58 #78105 by Mr. White
JonJacob wrote:

Castle Ravenloft looks like it would do everything it could to ruin all the great memories I have of fighting Straud as a youth in a good D&D system. It looks like it would do anything it could to rape that one part of my youth that is better left alone. Fuck Castle Ravenloft for making a boring dungeon crawl that is too little 20 yerars to late. WOTC can suck my balls.

How can you claim it's boring? A lot of vitriol for a guy who hasn't even played the game.

Descent was dead for us a long time ago. Our copies were sold in anticipation in buying CR, which has indeed brought us _far_ more enjoyment. Though I'm not thrilled by some of the aesthetic choices, and it's not my favorite game, it does provide a good time at the table.
Last edit: 01 Nov 2010 10:58 by Mr. White.

More
01 Nov 2010 11:20 #78108 by OldHippy
Vitriol?? That's a lot of superfulous syllables, of which I feel nothing.

It's a trashdome so I'm posting in kind... and I do hate 4th edition. It's overbalanced soul sucker D&D. I've read enough about CR to know I don't want it and as per trashdome rules I am under no obligation play it... Which is good because I don't plan on it.

But remember... I find over emotional posts more entertaining and I still play heroquest. Which, if you buy into modern metaphysics, actually has a soul.

More
01 Nov 2010 11:27 #78109 by SuperflyPete
I've finally played Ravenloft, and I have to tell you all, unabashedly, I'm an idiot. That is, if you believe Mr. Loter.

That being said, I despise Descent now. I've only played it a few times, but Man Alive is that the most sittingest-waitinest long winded game ever. 2 hours to move from one room to another? Seriously?

Vote: '85 Dungeonquest.

More
01 Nov 2010 11:43 #78118 by Mr Skeletor
superflytnt wrote:

I've finally played Ravenloft, and I have to tell you all, unabashedly, I'm an idiot. That is, if you believe Mr. Loter.

That being said, I despise Descent now. I've only played it a few times, but Man Alive is that the most sittingest-waitinest long winded game ever. 2 hours to move from one room to another? Seriously?

Vote: '85 Dungeonquest.

Wow, I thought for sure castle crapper would be right up your ally.

This really should have been Ravenloft vs Heroscape. The flash in the pan brainless mickey mouse game vs a game which should have been mickey mouse but elevated itself through fantastic design into a big boys games.

VOTE: You fucking well know what I am voting for.

More
01 Nov 2010 11:44 - 01 Nov 2010 13:05 #78121 by Sagrilarus
That's what's worrying me about Castle Ravenloft too. I'm concerned it's the part of D&D that I like the least. After my first few thousand hours of play the combat aspect really took a back seat, short of killing the bad guy at the end. The final resolution of the story was worth a few sword swings for sure.

The last time I played Descent (I was the Overlord) one of the players essentially became impenetrable after one of his level-ups. He could walk through the monsters and they could do him no damage. That was frustrating. In spite of that, I think the game is still pretty doggone fun if you have the time AND (this is big) if you give the Overlord a bit of indulgence on the scenario content so he can put together a great experience with it. Contrary to the F:At litmus test . . .

vote goes to Descent.

P.S. If Skeletor just opened the door on Heroscape, it has my vote by 100 miles.
Last edit: 01 Nov 2010 13:05 by Sagrilarus.

More
01 Nov 2010 12:02 #78130 by Space Ghost
Vote: Descent

I like Ravenloft fine, but it really doesn't have the detail that Descent has and it is very "samey".

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds