October 09, 2023
2488 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2688 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome: Neuroshima Hex! vs Manoeuvre

More
01 Feb 2011 22:09 - 01 Feb 2011 22:15 #86609 by Mr. White

WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting on it. End your first post in this thread with the title of the game you're placing a bet on (i.e. voting for) so its clear to me when reading it later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. Counting expansions or not is entirely up to you just as playing with them or not is. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!
Last edit: 01 Feb 2011 22:15 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2011 22:29 #86624 by dave
Vote: Epic Duels

More
01 Feb 2011 22:31 #86625 by Josh Look
Too easy.

Vote: Neuroshima Hex!

More
01 Feb 2011 22:46 #86628 by Hatchling
If I wasn't disqualified from voting because of my pathetically long gaming dry-spell which makes all games blurr together in an undifferentiated foggy memory, I would vote for Neuroshima Hex, which has much more action and is just more fun for me to play. Or so I hear.

More
02 Feb 2011 06:03 #86643 by Notahandle
Vote: Manoeuvre.

It has more variety of game play than NH, slug it out toe to toe, fluid manoeuvring, grab territory; I've played it a few times recently and each game has felt dramatically different.

More
02 Feb 2011 09:07 #86651 by stormseeker75
I love Manoeuvre. It's fun and easy to teach. Very little to get in the way of playing the game. The hand management is awesome as well and really makes the game.

NH didn't do much for me. It seemed very random. I've decided that I really don't like games in which I need to outguess someone unless that entails blind-bidding.

Vote: Manoeuvre

More
02 Feb 2011 10:33 - 02 Feb 2011 10:36 #86666 by wkover
Manoeuvre is the better 2-player game. Neuroshima Hex! is a good 3-4 player game. In particular, NH! is a fun partnership game with 4.

Vote: It strongly depends on the number of players, but overall I prefer Manoeuvre.
Last edit: 02 Feb 2011 10:36 by wkover.

More
02 Feb 2011 11:28 #86674 by hotseatgames
I've never played Manoeuvre, but I can't imagine liking it more than my beloved Neuroshima Hex!

Vote: Neuroshima Hex!

More
02 Feb 2011 14:41 #86702 by Dogmatix
wkover wrote:

Manoeuvre is the better 2-player game. Neuroshima Hex! is a good 3-4 player game. In particular, NH! is a fun partnership game with 4.

Vote: It strongly depends on the number of players, but overall I prefer Manoeuvre.

So true. I like NH as a 2-player game but Manoeeioiuever is a really well designed game and one of those games that earns GMT bonus points in my book for taking a shot on publishing it.

This one's tough for me because I find that they have kind of different audiences--N'Hex seems to be one of those games that most hobby gamers can quickly warm to while Manoeuvre always seems to bring a little hitch of hesitation when I suggest it because it looks to be more of a dry wargame than it actually is...

But, most consecutive vowels wins the day!

Vote: Manoeuver

More
02 Feb 2011 14:52 #86705 by DeletedUser
I have never played Neuroshima Hex so take my vote with a pinch of salt, but Manoeuvre really is a great game and a lot of fun. It would probably be better to compare Manoeuvre to Summoner Wars than Neuroshima Hex I think.

Vote: Manoeuvre

More
02 Feb 2011 19:43 #86738 by OldHippy
No foolin' around this time. NH is a great game and the expansion armies make it even better. It's also wildly original which gains it bonus points from me.

vote:

Neuroshima Hex.

More
03 Feb 2011 10:26 #86793 by Msample
Wow, this is one of the tougher Trashdomes for me. When I first saw Manoeuvre in playtest form several years ago I was pretty nonplussed. When it came out and I actually played it, I appreciated it for what it was, a light filler with 8 very different armies/decks and a lot more maps than I thought.

Neuroshima Hex is somewhat similar . Once you have the expansions, you once again have a ton of variability. And I haven't even played multi player or with terrain or the special tiles like mercs.

Edge goes to Nhex, since I prefer it over Manoeuvre and the latter falls a bit short in the simulation category at times. Nhex also seems more Ameritrashy.

Vote: Neuroshima Hex.

More
03 Feb 2011 11:25 #86800 by Notahandle
I'm sorry this Trashdome is for Neuroshima Hex vs Manoeuvre.
Not Neuroshima Hex PLUS the expansions necessary to make it as interesting as Manoeuvre.

And the OP, Jeff White, has added a subtle bias: that exclamation mark in the title rightly belongs to Manoeuvre! ;)

More
03 Feb 2011 13:06 - 03 Feb 2011 13:24 #86804 by Mr. White
Notahandle wrote:

I'm sorry this Trashdome is for Neuroshima Hex vs Manoeuvre.
Not Neuroshima Hex PLUS the expansions necessary to make it as interesting as Manoeuvre.

And the OP, Jeff White, has added a subtle bias: that exclamation mark in the title rightly belongs to Manoeuvre! ;)

I put the exclamation mark after NH because it's part of the title, no?

For the record, these are both games I was interested in getting in the last Arms Trade. You know, the one where everyone put up a bunch of junk just to show, but not actually trade. Jackals. I was hoping to be playing one of these now instead of reading about them. I have played both of these games once and am looking to buy one soon. I'm leaning toward Manoeuvre.

On the expansion note, Japan, China, Sweden, and India are in the playtesting stage as a Manoeuvre expansion. I'm not sure why Mexico isn't on the list, but if this first expansion sells well, Jeff is interested in possibly Mexico, Zulus and some others for a second expansion.
Last edit: 03 Feb 2011 13:24 by Mr. White.

More
03 Feb 2011 13:42 #86806 by Juniper
Neuroshima Hex has the best iOS app in all of app-dom.
Manoeuvre has three consecutive vowels in its title.

Vote: Neuroshima Hex.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.138 seconds