October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2694 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome: Corey Konieczka vs Kevin Wilson

More
03 Apr 2011 21:52 - 03 Apr 2011 21:52 #93042 by Schweig!
I don't really like Arkham Horror. Probably at least the Hasbro/AH version of Cosmic Encounter is about as good as the FFG version, and the same is true in regards to the original GW version of Fury of Dracula. I have not played any of Kevin's other designs.

I did however receive countless hours of enjoyment out of BSG, Starcraft and Death Angel. Arkham Horror pleases many people, but my VOTE goes to: COREY. He also sports a beard that would make any Amish fella proud.
Last edit: 03 Apr 2011 21:52 by Schweig!.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2011 22:56 #93047 by jeb
These fellas are two giants in the industry, no doubt. I see Kevin as more of a developer than a designer--his development kicks major ass. That's how you end up with good (great?) games (FoD, AH, CE) taken to great (or greater) games. Who's got the DUNE re-design/dev? Corey or Kevin?

Corey is expanding design space like a champion. STARCRAFT, WARRIOR KNIGHTS, REINS OF POWER (wistful sigh...).

They both can end up with some bloat on the games, but isn't that what we're after sometimes? Toughest 'dome yet. I'll go with Kevin, just for making ARKHAM the franchise it is today. No offense to Launias, but this is Kevin's game now.

Vote: Us. (Ok, Kevin Wilson).

More
04 Apr 2011 01:20 #93051 by mikko_r
At first this seemed tougher question than it turned out to be. I tried to think of all the games these two had, what I like, what's Ok and what I don't much care for, blah blah blah. But all the time in the back of my head one thought kept on repeating itself: Kevin did Arkham.

Vote: Kevin Wilson

More
04 Apr 2011 02:56 #93052 by Stonecutter
I think we're taking for granted just how hard it is to make a good redesign (or forgetting how easy it is to fuck up a redesign.) 3rd edition of Cosmic, anyone? Game design is so derivative as it is, if we take the "it's just a redesign" line of thought to its logical conclusion than just about any game that isn't genre redefining should be great. How many AWFUL DoaM games are there? I mean, Nexus Ops exists and yet just about every next iteration of A&A blows.

And also this:

mikko_r wrote:

Kevin did Arkham.

I love Corey, and Runewars is one of my all time favorites, but still, gotta say:

More
04 Apr 2011 03:29 #93053 by Hex Sinister
Jackwraith wrote:

Their one semi-mutual project, in my experience, is Starcraft. I was part of the FFG testing groups that worked on Kevin's original design. It was... not fun. Then Corey took over and banged out a version that many people rave about.

This is really interesting. Too bad you never got to try the final version!

Again, I haven't played it because I'm on that "why would I want to play a video game as a board game" thing.

Because they're both good games? I also thought it was a strange concept at first but I figured it would be a neat game to try on a tabletop. Some things overlap but the experiences are completely different. If you get an opportunity to try SC:TBG you might consider it. It would be cool to hear what got changed from Kevin's design. I had no idea he worked on the project.

More
04 Apr 2011 04:21 #93055 by scissors
Doom Dice vs Runewars Cards.

Vote: Kevin Wilson.

More
04 Apr 2011 05:54 #93056 by Shapeshifter
While like most I love Wilson's redesigns, his original designs have left me a bit lukewarm. Descent being too slow/lengthy for it's own good, with that Rainbow six spawning ruining an otherwise great design and Android being more of a great idea than an actual great game. Civilisation made me conclude this is crossing the border of what works on a pc and what works in boardgame form. I would rather play the pc version in all honesty.

The Corey stuff I have experience with has impressed me however without any noteworthy exceptions. MEQ has some great cardplay mechanics (and I generaly prefer dice) and BSG is despite it's repetitive nature always an intense immersive experience with 5-6. I also like Runewars for getting so many neat mechanics together to form a coherent whole. And undoubtly he had his part in upgrading the fantastic TI3 into a brilliant one by adding "Shattered empires", the expansion that should have come with the base game.

So my vote goes to Corey.

More
04 Apr 2011 07:46 #93057 by clockwirk
Corey attempts innovation and succeeds most of the time. Kevin attempts innovation and fails most of the time.

vote: Corey K.

• Angry Weeks
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Apr 2011 10:50 #93069 by Angry Weeks
Replied by Angry Weeks on topic Re:Trashdome: Corey Konieczka vs Kevin Wilson
I must go with Kevin Wilson due to his contributions to the Silver Line games and the Doom dice alone are one of the most innovative things EVER in the Ameritrash genre.

As to the Silver line games or "Non Life stealing games" as I like to call them.

Magdar while considered universally bad has a certain charm to it that only a true game lover would design. My favorite however is Arena Maximus a great chariot racing game in a fantasy setting.

More
04 Apr 2011 10:58 #93072 by Rliyen

More
04 Apr 2011 12:51 #93086 by Msample
I hated Cosmic Encounter and have heard enough bad things about Descent, whereas I like a lot about MEQ and have gotten a LOT of play out of BSG and its expansions.

Vote: CK

More
04 Apr 2011 13:14 #93088 by jur
I like the way this one is going: interesting stuff on what re-designs tell you about a designer and whether they 'count'.

Also good to see people having different ideas about which games are best

Anybody have an idea what these guys would do to a historical theme, rather than fantasy/sc-fi/horror?

Keep it up!

More
04 Apr 2011 13:20 #93093 by Jackwraith
Hex Sinister wrote:

Because they're both good games? I also thought it was a strange concept at first but I figured it would be a neat game to try on a tabletop. Some things overlap but the experiences are completely different. If you get an opportunity to try SC:TBG you might consider it. It would be cool to hear what got changed from Kevin's design. I had no idea he worked on the project.

Yeah, my mentioning that reluctance was kind of meant to be a "why I didn't do this". I've been interested in at least giving it a try. Unfortunately, I'm the prime purchaser for my group and I just don't have the $ to spend on a "maybe" right now.

Of course, reading over this thread I realize that I forgot about Descent, which I and my group have gotten a ton of mileage out of, which would lead me toward changing my vote. The Doom dice (and then Descent dice) are a solid point. Ugh.

More
05 Apr 2011 09:50 #93143 by wkover
Vote: Kevin Wilson.

I've spent more time playing Doom and Descent than all other Corey K. games combined.

More
05 Apr 2011 10:01 #93146 by Walterman
Cory K designed Runewars.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.147 seconds