October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome: Corey Konieczka vs Kevin Wilson

More
05 Apr 2011 21:02 - 05 Apr 2011 21:09 #93207 by Mr. Bistro
Corey K, even if he was hit by a train after BSG and nothing else came from him.

EDIT: Or hell, just the man's work on Shattered Empire,helping to turn a great game into the game, should have him win.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2011 21:09 by Mr. Bistro.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2011 23:05 #93210 by Octavian
Tough choice, but I'll go with Corey K. He doesn't hit the highs Wilson does, but he also doesn't hit the lows.

More
05 Apr 2011 23:58 #93211 by jeb
Octavian wrote:

Tough choice, but I'll go with Corey K. He doesn't hit the highs Wilson does, but he also doesn't hit the lows.

That is a cool way to think about it. Corey is more consistent. I hope to keep switching my vote as we revisit this poll in the years to come. I want nothing but success for these two.

More
06 Apr 2011 00:50 #93212 by kookoobah
Very tough. Both have huge hits (Rune Wars, Shattered Empires, Warrior Knights VS Fury of Dracula) and some big bombs too (BSG, Starcraft, Doom)

Kevin has a lot of games I'm just lukewarm on (AGoT, Descent, Arkham and CE) and these are games that are classics in the genre.

I'll go with Corey K, just by a hair. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Fury of Dracula, but our gaming group is BIG on DoaM and Corey hits it out of the park.

More
06 Apr 2011 01:55 #93215 by jur
Octavian wrote:

I don't buy this line of reasoning. Do you judge painters and musicians by their best works or their whole oeuvre?

In the end, artists are remembered for their highs

More
06 Apr 2011 08:45 #93216 by Dair
Jur wrote:

Octavian wrote:

I don't buy this line of reasoning. Do you judge painters and musicians by their best works or their whole oeuvre?

Not necessarily. Is a one hit wonder with a great song better than a band that has consistently put out good material for a long period of time? I would take the band with a strong body of work even if none of their songs are as good as the one hit wonder's big hit.

More
06 Apr 2011 09:25 #93220 by Columbob
Really tough choice. I've had lots of fun with Cosmic, Arkham, Doom and Descent, but I've also had lots of fun with BSG, RuneWars, MoM, Death Angel, Warrior Knights (playing this tomorrow night hopefully)...I think what tilts this in Corey's favor is the beautiful and essential Shattered Empire.

VOTE: COREY

kookoobah wrote:

Kevin has a lot of games I'm just lukewarm on (AGoT...)

This is a Chris P design. I think Corey might have worked on the Storm of Swords expansion though.

More
06 Apr 2011 09:52 #93225 by SuperflyPete
Kevin Wilson, hands down. Corey is great from what I've played of his stuff, but Kevin's are brilliant. Cosmic? Arkham? Total wins.

I'd almost give it to Corey based on BSG alone, but Death Angel is a negative and the fact that of all the things he could've worked on, he did a "LCG" in Terrinoth and that was the death blow.

More
06 Apr 2011 11:50 #93247 by Octavian
Jur wrote:

Octavian wrote:

Would it make a difference if some of the musician's best works are covers?

More
06 Apr 2011 11:56 #93248 by Chapel
Jur wrote:

Octavian wrote:

But only after they're dead. While they live everything they do will be scrutinized.

More
06 Apr 2011 11:56 #93249 by Space Ghost
Vote: Kevin Wilson -- thinking about this actually may have motivated me to write an article.

As for being covers, it depends. If it is Jimi Hendrix performing All Along the Watchtower, then the cover stands on its own.

More
06 Apr 2011 11:57 #93250 by Da Bid Dabid
Despite the greatness that is Shattered Empire, the redesigns win out.

Vote: Kevin Wilson

More
06 Apr 2011 11:59 #93251 by Ska_baron
Gonna go with Cory on this one.

For now.

More
06 Apr 2011 12:06 #93252 by jur
Octavian wrote:

Jur wrote:

Octavian wrote:

Would it make a difference if some of the musician's best works are covers?

I'd say that it's a separate issue.

The whole point with covers/redesigns is originality, not consistency. You might argue that it's easier to achieve consistent highs by covering/redesigning, but then you finally judge the artist/designer on his originality.

But people like music for different reasons, so probably also in game design. Some like consistency (of a high level), others prefer genius.

More
06 Apr 2011 12:20 #93254 by Octavian
I think a lot of people like both. A lot of the votes here, including mine, have had "by a hair" or similar qualifiers attached.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.253 seconds