October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Runewars VS Conquest of Nerath

More
22 Jul 2011 17:24 #99931 by ufe
WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!!

Was looking through the trashdome section, and couldn't find this one. Seems like a natural fit. Besides, I've been looking to get one of them but can't seem to make up my mind. I figured a trashdome was the best way to figure this out, so have at it.

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2011 19:53 #99945 by Gary Sax
Runewars

Totally personal, but I'm done playing Dudes on a Map as simple as Risk. If you play Runewars Epic, there's plenty of competition for space. The orders system really puts a solid decision making engine in the game that cuts away the chaff and makes turns short.

More
22 Jul 2011 23:39 #99961 by Mr Skeletor
Runewars by a country mile.

It's like Gary Sax read my mind. I don't see the appeal in Nerath at all. The fighting starts from turn 1? That's OK if the game goes for 45 mins, but otherwise I like a bit of, you know, build up in my games. I'm also over DoaM games which are all 'attack attack attack'. I prefer ones where enough is going on that even a defensive player can win.
I wasn't the biggest fan of Runewars when it first came out (I did like it though), but I'll be damned if it doesn't just get better and better with each play. In hindsight its possibly best game of 2010.
Nerath I get to chuck dice. Boring.

More
23 Jul 2011 00:30 #99965 by OldHippy
Runewars. If I was offered to chance to play either or today I would choose Runewars instantly. If I was offered it again tomorrow. Same choice. You can keep doing this on a day by day scale. I like my DoaM's with meat and I love building my empire and slowly watching it grow. Although I've had plenty of Runewars games where I get attacked in a round or two it doesn't have to happen all the time.

More
23 Jul 2011 01:56 #99972 by Gary Sax
I get that a lot of people love simple DoaM... I've just never been one of them. I'm guessing a fair number on F:AT are the same way.

More
24 Jul 2011 20:54 #100027 by jur
Runewars

I thought it would win by a mile, but Barnes review of Nerath makes it sound like it is at least a decent design. I also like my DoaM with some meat on them. But the minis look as good as those of Runewars. Gotta hand it to the guys: they have the same high standards (probably because they know they have to, to compete with FFG at all)

More
25 Jul 2011 08:37 #100048 by Matt Thrower

Gary Sax wrote: I get that a lot of people love simple DoaM... I've just never been one of them. I'm guessing a fair number on F:AT are the same way.

While I get where you're coming from, the thing that CoN has going for it is that "simple" DoaM has become deeply unfashionable and it's by far and away the best game in that now very small class. And for all it's "simple" it manages to do some fun and interesting stuff like the dungeon exploration and the naval element very well. It also plays in half or less the time that Runewars takes.

I have a review coming in a couple of weeks, and I'm not voting because I've not played Runewars. But all I'm saying really is that for all you guys might love Runewars don't write off CoN - it's a different kind of game and it does what it does extremely well. Matching it against Nexus Ops would be a more meaningful (and fairer) trashdome if you ask me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
25 Jul 2011 20:16 #100091 by Aarontu
I've only played RuneWars, but I want to say CONQUEST OF NERATH, because if incorporates heroes into battles between armies, has navies and sea movement, and uses dice for combat instead of the card combat that I hate in RuneWars.

More
25 Jul 2011 23:48 #100111 by kookoobah
Runewars

Simple games bore me, and Runewars is one of the best games our group plays. When the expansion hits, it'll blow CoN way out of the water. If each race in CoN had different units, like in Runewars, it might have stood a chance, but wasting diff sculpts for the sake of having diff sculpts is disappointing.

More
26 Jul 2011 00:29 #100112 by seanmac31
Runewars, for sures.

More
26 Jul 2011 05:54 #100124 by mikko_r

More
26 Jul 2011 09:40 #100127 by panzerattack
Conquest of Nerath.

After playing Here I Stand (which is a loooong game but still manages to get the action started from turn 1) I've got less patience for epic games that have a long build up with lots of fanny-arsing around before anything interesting really happens.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds