October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

Cave Evil

More
22 Feb 2012 15:16 - 22 Feb 2012 15:18 #117341 by Dogmatix

Gary Sax wrote: Interested to see your table---which geekchiq table did you get? Pics would be sweet, I've thought about shelling out for a coffee table from them.

Also, what campaign are you playing?

5x7 maple Emissary (4x6' play surface) with cherry leaves. It's a hell of a nice looking table but it's a fucking monster. In addition to believing in "go big or go home," we figured this was "for the next house"--we're figuring on getting out of this townhouse into a decent-sized single-family detached number before the baby starts school, so might as well get the one that will serve the long haul]. It's billiards table sized and in the same nighborhood weight-wise. Big mutha...

The campaign is 3 Days of Gettysburg; always wanted to play the one big G'burg game and my choices (on my shelves) are: Terrible Swift Sword [SPI & TSR versions], Thunder at the Crossroads [Gamers] or 3DOG. Opted to launch myself into the bowels of the GMT GBACW series on the assumption that the other 3 games will come easier thereafter.
Last edit: 22 Feb 2012 15:18 by Dogmatix.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2012 16:08 #117359 by Gary Sax
Sounds sweet, how was your experience? Did it take forever?

Wow, went with the GBACW campaign. Nice.

More
22 Feb 2012 16:49 #117379 by Dogmatix

Gary Sax wrote: Sounds sweet, how was your experience? Did it take forever?

Wow, went with the GBACW campaign. Nice.

Yea, it was a solid 18+ months and a good bit of back and forth. Part of that was certainly driven by not quite understanding what I was looking for with the 2 different woods on the table ("you want a calico table?" 'Dear god, no! Just cherry leaves; look here: www.copelandfurniture.com/product.php?id=123 for what I'm talking about.' Apparently I was the first guy to ask for this. Turned out to be a hit in the shop though as I got a couple of emails about it as well as comments from the guys who delivered it [one or both of them worked on the table, too]).

Geek carpenters are a bit like hippie programmers (anyone in IT should be familiar with the type--they code by feel, dude, not best practices--their shit always seems to work even when every rule says it shouldn't but it's generally unmaintainable by anyone but the original coder); nothing is ever precise...it's more "precise-ish." Count on whatever should be 1 email taking 3 phonecalls.

They're actually quite responsive, but you need to just tear the first 10 pages right off your monthly calendar and forget about it. Only spot that made me a little nuts was when we remitted the second half of the payment, which generally means the project is on the production floor, and then it stalled. Not much work seems to get done in the summer, which makes some sense since it's prime game and comicbook convention season. Since it's a small shop and a good portion of their staff seems to travel to market the company, I kind of assumed that would happen. However, once we got into the fall, things were slow to advance. Then I had pictures of the finished table and a delivery date in-hand when it suddenly got delayed again. Apparently their QA manager pulled the table out of the delivery queue when he found too many fit and finish issues and had them rebuild basically from the ground up (got those pictures too). That tacked another couple of months onto the whole thing.

In the end, though, the product really is pretty fabulous. It ain't cheap by any stretch, but, then again, custom-built furniture rarely ever is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
22 Feb 2012 20:57 #117419 by Notahandle
Dogmatix wrote:
" The "window pane" approach. Clever. :)"
Thanks.

" The one significant downside with the thick sheets is that the edges are unfinished and can be prone to chipping if handled roughly."
Some fine sandpaper and several hours left me with nicely smooth and rounded edges. Given the amount of use I hope to get out of them, it seemed worth investing the time.

" The thinner sheets, on the other hand, seem to scratch and scuff more easily."
I bought some professional art portfolio sleeves for use when putting them away into the portfolio itself. Having sanded the sheets, I thought a small extra cost to protect them while being moved around worthwhile.

Hatchling wrote:
" derail deshmail! let it all proliferate amigos!"
Isn't it an unwritten F:AT rule that no thread can be derailed without Barney's participation? :)

More
23 Feb 2012 01:29 - 23 Feb 2012 01:30 #117452 by Dogmatix

Notahandle wrote: " The one significant downside with the thick sheets is that the edges are unfinished and can be prone to chipping if handled roughly."
Some fine sandpaper and several hours left me with nicely smooth and rounded edges. Given the amount of use I hope to get out of them, it seemed worth investing the time.

Out of curiosity, do the sheets still butt up against one another flush/tight/square? I was thinking of taking some sort of billion-grit sandpaper to my big sheets after chipping one corner mishandling the 4-footer on the way to the car (fortunately, I can pretty much guarantee that corner would never be a problem unless I needed to play a 5.5-foot long map--and I only have 2 games where that could happen, so no loss there). I was afraid, however, of creating a bit of a gap between sheets. For smaller ones I wouldn't sweat so much, but a 48" crevasse would be kind of a pain in the ass.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2012 01:30 by Dogmatix.

More
23 Feb 2012 20:54 #117549 by Notahandle
I've used a couple of sheets fairly often, e.g. for Manoeuvre, and neither of us noticed any problems. I've just pulled a couple of sheets out. If you look really close, edge on, you can see that the sides are rounded. If you didn't know, you probably would never notice when playing a game. Certainly there are no gaps. sand lightly, not in anger. ;)

More
24 Feb 2012 09:43 #117591 by Matt Thrower
I just passed on the chance to own one of only 10 copies of Cave Evil that an importer bought in to the UK. I feel dirty. They were £75, and money is tight, and it wouldn't be played inside the next 12 months, so it was the sensible decision. But still, I feel dirty.

More
25 Feb 2012 17:15 #117680 by Notahandle
Ack! That's high! Don't feel so bad, particularly if it's unlikely to be played.

More
26 Feb 2012 01:37 #117703 by Dogmatix

MattDP wrote: I just passed on the chance to own one of only 10 copies of Cave Evil that an importer bought in to the UK. I feel dirty. They were £75, and money is tight, and it wouldn't be played inside the next 12 months, so it was the sensible decision. But still, I feel dirty.

10 copies at £75? That's not "importing" or "distributing"; that's, at best, "smuggling." Jesus.

More
29 Feb 2012 12:18 #117972 by Hatchling

Dr. Mabuse wrote: Next up I've scoped out minis for the Necromancers.

What minis are you getting, Anthony? I think I might pick some up too.

Someone I know very kindly gave me 22 stands (2cm base) that will hold the squad markers perfectly. I'm two stands short for a four player game, but if I get minis for the necro squads, not only will things look cooler, it will free up four stands.

More
29 Feb 2012 17:01 #117992 by Dr. Mabuse
I've been looking at the Reaper Dark Legends series.

Great score on the stands , I've been looking for a copy of Star Wars: Jedi Unleashed and strip it for the stands.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hatchling

More
01 Mar 2012 03:57 - 01 Mar 2012 10:25 #118053 by Hatchling
I just checked those minis out and they look pretty cool. Expensive though, but I guess that's the norm for minis.

Here are the ones I'm thinking of getting once I get enough motivation:

These are "25mm". Is that small enough for the CE hexes? (I don't know much about minis...)
Last edit: 01 Mar 2012 10:25 by Hatchling.

More
01 Mar 2012 04:52 #118055 by Dr. Mabuse
Pyromancer:

Ice Dead Sorceress

Black Wizard (HA! same mini as you)

Blood Sorcerer:

Rotten Magi:

They'd all be painted with black and grey of course.

Now I just need to get some funds together.

More
01 Mar 2012 10:54 - 11 Mar 2012 21:17 #118070 by Hatchling
Another nice one (Shaeress Nashanneth, Dark Elf Queen):

My revised picks are her and these

Dulkathar, Necromancer

Khalatine, Evil Cultist

and Barrow Warden Mystic (good idea..thanks!)
Last edit: 11 Mar 2012 21:17 by Hatchling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
01 Mar 2012 17:51 #118104 by Dr. Mabuse
Great call on the Dark Elf Queen.

I'll re edit my post later with the model names and numbers for future reference.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.326 seconds