October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

Bags for cards?

More
14 May 2012 18:55 - 14 May 2012 19:07 #125556 by Stonecutter
Bags for cards? was created by Stonecutter
Edit, never mind, I found them.
Last edit: 14 May 2012 19:07 by Stonecutter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2012 19:04 #125558 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: Bags for cards?
AC Moore or Michael's

S.

More
14 May 2012 19:09 - 14 May 2012 19:11 #125561 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Re: Bags for cards?
I usually use snack size ziplock for normal size game cards. For the dinky ones like Dungeonquest you'd need something even smaller.

The snack size hold the cards pretty well width wise, but they have some room to slip in the length. I very rarely see this as a problem, and It makes it easier to stuff the deck in there.

There might be a more optimal solution, but it works okay, they're cheap, and I can usually just steal some out of the pantry without having to make a special trip. Score.
Last edit: 14 May 2012 19:11 by Not Sure.

More
15 May 2012 01:46 #125596 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Re: Bags for cards?
Or, if you want something heavier, royalbag.com is your friend. I use these guys for 4mil and 6mil bags for counters, cards, magazines, and games up to the size of SPI flatpacks [the single most ill-advised packaging idea in the history of boardgames I think...]

More
15 May 2012 02:09 #125599 by Not Sure

Dogmatix wrote: SPI flatpacks [the single most ill-advised packaging idea in the history of boardgames I think...]

Apparently you're unfamiliar with Mission: Red Planet.

More
15 May 2012 02:34 - 15 May 2012 02:34 #125604 by Dogmatix

Not Sure wrote:

Dogmatix wrote: SPI flatpacks [the single most ill-advised packaging idea in the history of boardgames I think...]

Apparently you're unfamiliar with Mission: Red Planet.

Don't know much beyond the knowing looks people seem to give each other when it's mentioned; though I gather it was more game than box somehow by design? I'd counter that M:RP was a one-off problem. The dread flatpack was an entire product line packaged in such a way that (1) hundreds [or thousands] of counters could easily jump trays or out altogether to be consumed by the greatest natural predators in the boardgame biosphere: household pets, children, and vacuum cleaners; and if you managed to never lose a counter, (2) the packaging itself would remedy that situation by completely disintegrating over time.

M:RP only earns the top spot if SPI's flatpack is removed from consideration due to winning the overall Lifetime Achievement Award in the category....
Last edit: 15 May 2012 02:34 by Dogmatix.

More
15 May 2012 04:16 #125618 by Not Sure
Just messing with you, M:RP was the game that people at BGG were whining about it being too hard to take the box lid off. Tempest in a teacup.

More
15 May 2012 15:11 - 15 May 2012 15:20 #125654 by Dogmatix

Not Sure wrote: Just messing with you, M:RP was the game that people at BGG were whining about it being too hard to take the box lid off. Tempest in a teacup.

Aaah. I get it now! Here's a fun-if-lengthy anecdote (because I'm avoiding a pile of work sitting here and generally don't do "brief" anyway) for context: You gotta realize that within my first 6-months on BGG, my enthusiasm for rejoining the Wide World of Boardgaming was severely dampened by 2 things that, at the time, I didn't realize were basically par for the course for "the boardgaming community." The first was any number of lengthy disourses about box lid tightness, the absolute horrors of less-than-perfect fit, and lots of near-scholarly (i.e., not actually tongue-in-cheek) explications of the "box fart." "You've got to be fucking kidding me" and "who has this kind of time to worry about this stuff" came out of my mouth a lot when I read that stuff.

The second was the Enormous Moral Outrage (EMO) over how slight variations in counter/token thickness in some Dungeon Twister sets "completely ruin the game because supposedly hidden items were instantly recognizable". Being perplexed and, apparently, quite naive, I asked who memorizes tiles by thickness and joked that you needed a micrometer to measure them anyway. Someone then linked me to a thread where someone did, indeed, use a fucking micrometer to measure the tiles. And, for good measure, I got a PM where someone corrected me for calling those things "counters" instead of "tokens" because "counters were for wargamers and we don't care about wargames here." My reply was something in the vein of: "Ah, my bad, I thought you were merely a 'pedant' but I understand now that the appropriate term is "complete fuckwit with a distinct dash of douchenozzle." I was stunned when they printed and basically *gave away* replacement kits for the game as a result. For a low margin, fairly low volume hobby, who the fuck has the money to spend on something like that and why would they bother? Talk about another indication of my naivete...

That was basically the last time I ever paid any real attention to any thread about packaging save for 2. I followed the Great Bitchfest about how dark Flying Frog's LNoE tiles were because the Dungeon Twister debacle showed me that they'd likely be reprinted. I wanted to buy (not "get for fucking free") a set because I tend to keep the lights on the low side when I game (or do anything else--I well and truly hate the "stadium lighting" a lot of people insist on when gaming, watching TV, eating, or doing much of anything else). The other is my own piece of internet fuckwaddery as I rarely pass up an opportunity to bitch and beg Queen Games to change their 3 standard box sizes to something a weeeee bit less ginormous...

The Dungeon Twister EMO Affair (along with the Great Barnes Blowout and The Hounding of Rob Martin, which happened more or less concurrently with the DT thing) was actually what drove me over to register on the F:AT blog. (And I got turned-on to/found it because Rylien (err... sic probably) dumped a bunch of geekgold on me for my first geeklist [writing up a fun list of my getting back into the hobby in terms of a junkie looking to score] and, I think in response to a thank-you PM I sent [yea, I send those], he indicated he liked this place.)
Last edit: 15 May 2012 15:20 by Dogmatix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lj1983

More
15 May 2012 16:00 #125668 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: Bags for cards?
Mission Red Planet was bad production. Somebody set a machine up improperly. Those flat boxes were specifically designed that way and nobody (at least no one that actually played the games) stopped to consider what would happen if they weren't stored in just such a way.

My solution for my Mission Red Planet was to split a corner. That wasn't a popular option apparently.

That's the other peeve in full gale at BGG -- the museum-level of preservation of game pieces and boxes. Saving the sprues and scotch guarding the component trays and making tuckboxes big enough to hold cards with inner sleeves inside of outer sleeves.

I generally pull the tray and just put all the components into baggies in little kits. It's particularly useful for kid games where a short setup time is key to keeping their attention.

S.

More
15 May 2012 18:26 #125721 by Dogmatix

Sagrilarus wrote: I generally pull the tray and just put all the components into baggies in little kits. It's particularly useful for kid games where a short setup time is key to keeping their attention.
S.

Very first thing I do. Few box inserts stay in my collection for more than a minute.

Hell, I've also turned down unpunched copies of games I want to play in favor of punched ones if they did all the sorting/kitting work for me. I wanted to check out the old GDW Europa series and passed up several pristine copies in favor of a somewhat beat up copy where the guy in question had taken a combined Fire in the East and Scorched Earth set and punched, sorted, bagged and labeled the 3,000+ counters by counter, unit, and arrival date. I can't guarantee it's complete, but I'd bought from this cat in the past and his stuff was always neatly put together and he could verify that all the right bags were in-place. (In addition to saving me about 40 hours worth of work, it was at least $100 cheaper to buy this set vs. buying unpunched sets.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Notahandle

More
15 May 2012 18:43 #125728 by moofrank
Replied by moofrank on topic Re: Bags for cards?
If you are coming down to Trashfest, I could bring a package from Plastic Bag Mart in Marietta. That's it. Boxes and boxes of cheap plastic bags in various sizes.

More
15 May 2012 19:39 #125744 by Stonecutter
Replied by Stonecutter on topic Re: Bags for cards?
Trashfest is on my to do list someday, but it's not an option this year, sadly. I found a seller on amazon who sells 4 mil 3x5 and 4x6 bags by the 100 for about $7 each, so I'm going to grab one of each, that should suffice.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds