October 09, 2023
2423 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2632 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

I had wood, so I cut it up.

More
17 Jul 2014 14:27 #182434 by fastbilly1
My only issue with the craft paints (Apple Barrel, FolkArt, Delta Creamcoat), is there are rarely good bright red and flesh tones. How are yall achieving those?

I am no newbie to painting (I have been doing it since 1995, though had to stop for a while due to losing finite motion in my hands for a few years), but I have never had good luck with getting respectable results with those.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2014 15:04 #182439 by SebastianBludd
I've had good luck with the Folk Art Artists' Pigment paints, and I really like the red in that line. I thin all of my craft paints with future/water (50:50) thinner and the craft paints work fine.

More
17 Jul 2014 15:27 #182441 by Green Lantern
Nice job and very crafty, Superfly. The home made paint transport is awesome and I love your minis/paint jobs. Where do you buy you minis from? They look like a great fit for some games I play. In particular, I need to get my hands on some minis either are Deep Ones or would make good proxies. Any suggestions?

More
17 Jul 2014 16:17 #182444 by Dogmatix

ThirstyMan wrote: Why have you painted a turd purple?

BTW, that lamp with a big mag glass. I want to buy one when I come to USA this summer for painting projects here. Where would be the best place to get one? Preferable mail order, pref sent to my hotel.

Andy: Find one on Amazon.com and send me the details. I'll order it and have it shipped to my place [I'm an Amazon Prime member, so free 2-day shipping on most things] and bring it up for you.

More
17 Jul 2014 16:59 #182448 by ThirstyMan
For all you dummys/drunks/tired/whacked out dudes.

This thread is a year old. Check the dates.

More
17 Jul 2014 17:42 #182453 by Applejack
Dwarven Forge is coming out with their own brand of hobby paints, Pokorny Paints. Using the four pack offered with the Dungeon Tiles Kickstarter I backed, I can say they work great right out of the bottle, no thinning needed. It's all drybrush work for painting the tiles, but I've had good results even with my little amount of experience.

They're big bottles too, 4 fluid ounces, which is probably more than anybody needs. $8 a bottle, at least for KS backers.

More
17 Jul 2014 20:25 - 17 Jul 2014 20:25 #182458 by Dogmatix

ThirstyMan wrote: For all you dummys/drunks/tired/whacked out dudes.

Well screw you too. Guess this copy of Cave Evil will just have to be "forgotten" when I come up to Lancaster since you asked for that a year ago too, ya old bastard. ;-P
Last edit: 17 Jul 2014 20:25 by Dogmatix.

More
17 Jul 2014 21:40 #182461 by SuperflyPete
GL: Strange Aeons. Or RAFM. i have a huge library of Lovecrafty models and many are from those ranges, but RAFM is bette quality and scales better with other ranges. Go to www.lead-adventures forum. Wealth of knowledge:

New Guy Necromancer: its easy-mix your own colors and paint them on 2-4 shades too bright. know they will dry much darker. I use a lot of Vallejo Game/Model colors now too but I find them too thin for a wet pallette technique. the beauty of the Apple Barrel (Moofrank take note) is if you get a shallow bakeware dish and add enough water to just cover the bottom, then put a copy paper sheet over, and then dispense cheap paint onto it, it keeps it moist, all the liquid drops out onto the paper towel, and you get all the pigment to sit on the paper. Great for wet blending, and it,saves a fuckton of paint because if you cover it, it stays moist for weeks. Great for production line painting of armies when you need to take a long break but dont want to have to remember color formulas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Green Lantern

More
28 Jul 2014 12:26 #183211 by fastbilly1

ThirstyMan wrote: For all you dummys/drunks/tired/whacked out dudes.

I may be a dummy, drunk, tired, and whacked out, but I am most certainly not the last thing you said. I mean what?

Being that I was the one who bumped it, I figure I should state why. All topics in this forum are atleast seven months old, and most of the members are still active. So I figured it would be better to ask on the existing topic than to create a new one and get directed to the old one.

But to get back on topic. I have tried your setup with the baking dish Superfly. And while I was super skeptical going in, it works! Not only does it work, it made my soso Apple Barrel Reds completely usable. Now I have to figure out how to add bakeware to my painting desk - I use a 1950s rolltop desk for painting so when I am done animals and children cannot get to it.

More
28 Jul 2014 14:47 - 28 Jul 2014 14:49 #183254 by ThirstyMan
The comment was targeted at Dogmatix who asked me a direct question from a comment I posted a year ago.

Hold back on that ego there.
Last edit: 28 Jul 2014 14:49 by ThirstyMan.

More
29 Jul 2014 09:33 #183342 by fastbilly1
Ah, I thought it was about my bumping an old topic. Many forums consider that an unspeakable faux pa, and honestly I did not notice the topic was over a year old.

As for the ego, the first part was a joke, the rest of it was covering my ass incase I screwed up.

More
29 Jul 2014 09:40 #183344 by repoman
Don't sweat it Billy. Thirsty Man gets cranky when his blood alcohol content drops below 1.6

Shouldn't take anything he slurs out personally.

More
29 Jul 2014 11:11 #183362 by SuperflyPete

repoman wrote: Don't sweat it Billy. Thirsty Man gets cranky when his blood alcohol content drops below 1.6

Shouldn't take anything he slurs out personally.

Apparently you're drunk too. That's 6.1, not 1.6.

And you're welcome, fastbilly.

More
29 Jul 2014 13:36 #183402 by ThirstyMan
BTW Blood Alcohol Content (% by vol) above 0.5 is death so you're both total amateurs in this field. Just leave it to the expert and sip your hot chocolate carefully.

Rising to 0.5 as I'm flying tomorrow night.

Business class so all the booze is free for 20 hrs. Can't think what I will do to amuse myself.

If I am still alive, I will be staggering into Manhattan some time on the evening of the 31st.
The following user(s) said Thank You: repoman

More
29 Jul 2014 18:37 #183428 by Dogmatix

ThirstyMan wrote: BTW Blood Alcohol Content (% by vol) above 0.5 is death so you're both total amateurs in this field. Just leave it to the expert and sip your hot chocolate carefully.

affotd.com/2012/04/16/eight-of-the-highe...-levels-of-all-time/

.5 is merely a goal, not an end-state, for some. (And I've partied with a guy who hit .48. I gotta say, you really have to work to hit that sort of number. Fortunately, every ambulance company you call, by default, will provide a "designated driver" with just a single phone-call, just as long as your destination is the local hospital. That boy really was a particular piece of work....)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.317 seconds