October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

Help a noob paint some minis

More
15 Mar 2014 22:45 - 15 Mar 2014 23:29 #173627 by VonTush
That red and silver team is actually a pretty solid choice. It looks like they used a bleached bone/ivory/off-white and with the metal and red you an use a black base-coat easy.

For the silver, if you use GW paints, boltgun metal is a favorite of mine. That would be the first color I tackle on the model. You can base-coat black and then drybrush the silver on (which will get on areas you don't want it on since you have a large area to cover). The scale type chainmail is actually perfect to cut your teeth dry-brushing if you go that route. Another option is to do a solid boltgun metal and then use a black ink or a mixture of 40/60 or 50/50 mix of black ink. EDIT - Holy fuck-balls, I forgot the other color...Brown. Brown and Black mix.

As far as the red goes I think the GW color is Gore Red (to be honest I haven't looked at the GW paint catalogue in a while though and I think they changed the names on a few). If you take my recommendation of using very thin coats of paint that would work well here. Thinned properly you'll want the color to start changing to your desired color, but still have the base color show through. What you do then is start with a thin layer over the entire portion, then go over it again once dried but not take the color all the way to the edge that you want a bit darker. When you keep doing that what happens is the color naturally feathers so the parts you want darker because they are recessed will still show a little bit of that black undercoat and then the higher and raised portions or high points won't show any of that base coat through and will be the color you picked. And even at some of the extreme highpoints such as the tips of the wings on their helmets you might even go another shade brighter and feather it in to make those tips pop.

For the ivory, since it is more minimal on the models cut a few corners there. You can do a thicker first layer and just a few more thicker layers from there. Hell, one solid coat and a very thin layer of brown to give it some depth and slight color variations should be fine.

Overall the silver is pretty easy to pull off and make it look good. The off-white shouldn't be bad either. The red is what will draw the eye though so that's where you'll want to spend the most of your time.

For the skin tones, again I'd follow a similar approach to the red, that way you keep it pretty dark if not black between the fingers. And then the raised portion of the skin will be the regular color.

That gold is a fantastic paintjob with a lot of advanced techniques. I'd have a hard time pulling it of personally.
Last edit: 15 Mar 2014 23:29 by VonTush.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2014 00:41 #173632 by bomber
Yeah I was just passing on Petes (and the internet at large) wisdom. I've been working on trying to replicate Petes look in miniature using his methods and got uber realistic results

photos1.blogger.com/blogger/508/1359/320/lirilith01.jpg

More
16 Mar 2014 03:28 #173635 by Sevej
I don't like dipping, but has nothing to do with the results. Ok, maybe a little. Dipping is like you have a picture then apply a Photoshop filter over the whole picture. I also mutes color, and makes your miniature look like "sephia"ed. Finally, if you get it wrong, you can't know until it's too late unless you have experience. I'm to cheap to earn the said experience.

For color combinations, just use the classics.

Gold is unbeatable when coupled with Blue. There's a reason two mainstream miniatures game use this color for their two prominent factions.

Red is good with black, but muted. White is good with any color (but painting white well is a pain). Silver is also good with anything, but better with darker color.

Red/Green for nasty contrast (but looks great, nevertheless).

Do not try for similar color combination like brown/gold/skin above, unless you know what you're doing. Keep color scheme simple, and things should be contrasting each other. Painting a light brown pouch above a brown cloak is no good unless you're good.

More
16 Mar 2014 05:36 #173636 by SuperflyPete
It is worth noting that I, personally, only dip GW plastics and only to make them more durable. Coat d'Arms sells a great shader that is essentially magic dip. The lifhtnbrown is garbage and fhe black is a little too runny but the dark brown is a great, water-soluble dip alternative to brush on.

More
16 Mar 2014 05:49 #173637 by Brewmiester
If you want to get some other ideas for team colors Glidden has a pdf of some of the major teams

www.glidden.com/color/team-colors.do

More
16 Mar 2014 22:41 - 16 Mar 2014 22:43 #173661 by metalface13
I found some more photos of the red and white team.

Last edit: 16 Mar 2014 22:43 by metalface13.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds