October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

Dabid's 40k Guard Blog

More
18 Nov 2017 12:02 #257848 by Da Bid Dabid
So after 8th 40k dropped and was all the rage, I figured I'd dig out my old never been fully painted Imperial Guard from 3rd edition and maybe flip them for some other hobby funds. Getting them all out and inventoried for sell led to the siren song of Games Workshop creeping in and checking out the local community, new rules, and revisit painting them. So instead of selling them I guess I'm trying to paint them up again.

Motivation comes in waves, not helped by not being able to play a game or learn the rules of 8th edition yet. To hopefully help rectify that, my first project will be to get the modeling done so I can play a game with the models. So to start this is more about modeling than about painting. I cleared my paint desk of all non-Warhammer models to help focus the limited time I have. Here is my 1000 point force all splayed out in its current state on the modeling table.

So HQ first. Here is my previous Commander next to the one I built for 8th. My 1000 point list calls for just 1, but he's one dude I didn't want to strip to remind me of the old paint scheme. I'll use the painted one until the new one gets done up, he still needs basing material. Which brings me to using baking soda as snow for minis... it turns yellow! I'll likely just cover it with new snow material at some point when other more important stuff gets done.

My other HQ is a tank commander. I had 3 old Russes and cannibalized them to make magnetized weapon option tanks. Note: much easier to magnetize before assembly. I'm scratch building the Punisher turret... right now its just brass rod held together with green stuff, hopefully will look more impressive later.

No elites or fast attack at 1000 points so we get to the meat of the force, the troops. Scions are the most exciting part and here are the 20 of them with their leader hiding in the background, 4 with meltas and 4 with plasmas. The meltas are old metal (maybe space marine ones?) I had lying around, the plasmas I bought from Kromlech. The 5 that are painted were the test scheme that got posted in the mini painting thread. These will be the first squads finished painted up after everything gets the modeling finished. Speaking of basing I use stucco patch, you just slop it on and spread it out. At some point I'll paint them like dark earth/mud and add a litltle snow effects. The Scion leader is hiding in the background and will get some special love and attention on here when its his turn and the painting starts.

And here's the rest of the troops. They will get put on bases to get them table ready and will likely be the last thing addressed in the army. They are all old GW valhallans, with some Pig Iron troops (like the Scions) with GW's weapon swaps to act as sgts.

The Heavy Support is a fireball Demolisher (3 Heavy Flamers) I magnetized all the weapons and it worked better using this method than what I did with the commander's Punisher, but the sponsons can't come off. I put on a little paint as a test color, I'm gonna be painting this different than I have ever tried and use some oil paints and such so I'll try to have it have its own update when that happens.

That is where we stand. I already failed at keeping only Warhammer stuff on hobby desk as I snuck a 15mm mini out the other day to paint. Hopefully having this thread to update will help keep me on track. So next on tap is to get every model on a base and the scratch build of the Punisher turret, hopefully before the next edition of 40k drops.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, birdman37, barrowdown, Vlad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2017 23:34 #257897 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Dabid's 40k Guard Blog
Painting an army is a feat, painting an IG army is doubly so.
Looking back, I wish I didn't rush some of the paint jobs I did on my guards and taken it slower.

More
06 Dec 2017 08:17 #258665 by Da Bid Dabid
Replied by Da Bid Dabid on topic Dabid's 40k Guard Blog
Update!

No pics but I did base all the models and primed a few of them, haven't started the punisher modeling yet. I did however play my first two games of 8th edition. Local store had a beginner friendly event day to promote their upcoming slow grow league. Basically it was come in and we'll show you the ropes with a bunch of players there to guide newbies through the rules. I tossed 500 points into the bag and headed out. Played a 500 point game which was basically me just putting my models on the table in the open and getting shot to pieces by Tau, but I was more interested in learning the mechanics and such (haven't changed that much from 3rd edition, so quick to pick up). Then I teamed up with another 500 points from another Guard player and we took on 1000 points of Death Guard. Lost that one too, but was much more effective at deployment, positioning, and not taking 10 extra minutes per turn. The people teaching the game were great and I signed up for the Slow Grow league which starts this Saturday at 500 pts and builds 250 pts every two weeks toward 2000. This is a great motivator for me to organize and complete my painting as we go. This is the 500 point list I settled on and I need to only paint 5 infantry and a tank to be fully painted (primed those models last night).

Valhallan Detachment
HQ: Company Commander w/ Bolter and KUROV'S AQUILA
Troops: Infantry Squad, Infantry Squad w/ Lascannon X2
Heavy Support: Demolisher with 3 Heavy Bolters

Tempestus Detachment
HQ: Prime w/ Plasma Pistol
Troops: Scions w/ Plasma Pistol and Plasma Gun X2

I also bought the Guard data cards, which are a nice little reference for stuff. Not needing to flip through books in game will help speed up my rookie play. After I paint up those couple models I'll toss up a picture.

More
03 Jan 2018 22:14 #260148 by Da Bid Dabid
Replied by Da Bid Dabid on topic Dabid's 40k Guard Blog
With the holidays over the slow grow 40K league is going to kick in again. I put together my 750 point list and took some shots to show where we are at. I shamefully haven't painted a tank yet... but hopefully will correct that soon as now that my Tank Commander is built, I have more of a bug to paint than build. Here's the list and shot of the current army.

750 Points:
Valhallan Detachment
HQ: Company Commander, Tank Commander w/ Punisher, 3 Heavy Bolters, Storm Bolter
Troops: 3 Naked Infantry Squads
Heavy Support: Demolisher with 3 Heavy Bolters

Tempestus Detachment
HQ: Prime w/ Command Rod and Laurels of Command
Troops: 2 Squads of Scions w/ Plasma Pistol and Plasma Guns X2

Here is a closer shot of the scratch built punisher turret... its kinda orky a little bit as I just cobbled some bits together but think it looks decently cool. You guys think I should add anything to it, my only complaint is the ammo belt and additional area just kinda looks like its floating on the side.

I did paint a Lascannon heavy weapon team trying to match my old style from who knows how many years ago. They look liked their slimed because I likely won't get to dullcoat till spring and my picture is dark/horrible, but I guess you'll have to trust me that they look decent. In the final 2000 point list that this league builds up to, think I'm gonna keep my 4 infantry squads with Lascannons in this scheme, and paint my 3 naked infantry squads that will be moving upfield and screening tanks to match closer to the scions paint job, as seen in this reposted photo when I first re-started this project.

My guard so far are 2-0 in the league and I'm looking to play some more games as I only have a grand total of 4 8th edition games under my belt. I always liked the slightly smaller games of 40k and think I will enjoy the 1000-1500 point level the most. I hope to have at least painted the tanks and the Tempestor before we add 250 points more and move up to 1000.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, lj1983, barrowdown

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.354 seconds