October 09, 2023
2286 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

Mad Dog's Painting Gallery

More
19 Nov 2017 22:16 #257894 by ChristopherMD
My first ever attempt at painting minis has begun. For this glorious honor I have chosen the game Space Cadets: Away Missions.

So that is all of these minis;

Now primed into all of these minis;

Then after 4 episodes of Punisher and a quick dip.

Tomorrow I hope to work on dry-brushing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2017 09:32 #257909 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Mad Dog's Painting Gallery
Good luck! You'll do fine. You'll improve your skills with every painted figure. Remember: painted miniatures always look better than unpainted miniatures.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
20 Nov 2017 22:12 #257945 by ChristopherMD
Okay, I'm pretty damned happy with these. All that's left really is to clear-coat them. I decided I don't care about doing faces for boardgame minis.

Also had some time to test out my saucermen scheme. There's a lot of them to paint so I wanted to keep them simple with black uniforms.

Will try to get pictures in the daytime when I'm all done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Cranberries, drewcula, birdman37

More
20 Nov 2017 22:51 #257947 by SuperflyPete
Those look rad! I’d paint the base tops or scrape off the oops! marks and then seal them. They look too good to let that shit fly.

More
20 Nov 2017 23:12 #257948 by Michael Barnes
Seriously, spend about one minute per figure painting the bases and you’ll be surprised at the way it completes the looks. I think you could even use that crazy, bright ass silver you are using there and it would look cool.

Faces make a difference too. If you just wash those skin areas with Reikland Fleshshade or a similar skin wash, it’ll make a big change to their look- they will look more complete. Again, it’s about a minute per figure to do that, and it will give their eyes, nose, mouth, cheeks, etc. definition.

The aliens, they would so well to have a green wash slapped on them for the same reasons. The black is tough- I hate painting black. I would have done those dark gray and washed a few times with a black shade.

You got some nice, bright colors there, those will look great with the game. Love that you did Trek colors too.

More
20 Nov 2017 23:20 #257950 by ChristopherMD
Probably won't seal them until I seal everything at the same time. Planning to finalize bases last once everything else is done. Just painted them real quick for the pics.

More
21 Nov 2017 10:21 #257966 by SuperflyPete
Just remember to mask the sides of the bases if you paint them - those plastic clips will scrape away paint. I found this out the hard way with the Adventurerers ones I painted and gave to my kids.

More
22 Nov 2017 09:56 #258061 by ChristopherMD
Decided to go with a different uniform color for these guys. Planning to do a second layer and dip tonight.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, barrowdown

More
22 Nov 2017 10:07 - 22 Nov 2017 10:08 #258063 by Michael Barnes
There you go! That looks better than the black. If you feel like doing it, painting those eyes would make these guys really pop. White with a black dot in that little hole would look a little too much though- maybe yellow or something. I think I’d also do that shirt/ the “V” part of their uniform in a different color- maybe silver.i would probably hit those belts with silver too.

Little stuff like that matters...the key if you are trying to keep it simple is to just pick out one or two big details that you can hit quickly and easily.
Last edit: 22 Nov 2017 10:08 by Michael Barnes.

More
22 Nov 2017 14:41 #258094 by ChristopherMD

I think they look creepier all one color which I like. I do want the Leader cape non-purple though so I might go with black/purple.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
22 Nov 2017 16:42 #258106 by Michael Barnes
Ya, see, picking out the belts and that trim made a big difference.

If it were my set, I'd do that cape in a turquoise or maybe even a silver. I keep saying silver, but I think that whole lame (read: la-may) is perfect for the game. In fact, if there were a glittery silver that is what I would use.

Of course, capes always look good in red, too.

More
23 Nov 2017 21:44 #258150 by ChristopherMD
A lot of freshly dipped Saucermen.

More
27 Nov 2017 15:36 #258282 by ChristopherMD
Current progress on the evil Saucerman menace. I'd be happy sealing these but I'll leave them until everything is ready to seal. Then I can decide how much more time, if any, I want to spend on the project. Leaders are dipped so should be done soon too.

Also, I've determined that I don't like dipping. i'm using Army Painter Quickshade and feel like it always leaves too much on that I have to paint over so my Martians don't look like they shit themselves. I'll continue the method for the rest of the game to be consistent but suspect I'll move to a brushed-on wash in the future.

More
27 Nov 2017 19:51 #258300 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Mad Dog's Painting Gallery
Great army of martians! I never "dip" myself, just selective wash with brush. Also, if I can help it I layer instead of washing. Just like the effect better. More control, less filter effect and gives reliable result.

More
16 Jul 2018 16:51 - 16 Jul 2018 16:54 #277702 by ChristopherMD
Too many threads lately about other people's progress on their minis painting has motivated me to get back to work on my Space Cadets minis. Apologies for the picture quality. I was catching the late-day sun and don't have a tripod or steady hands.

First we have the fearsome Martian army. These guys have already been dipped. The red bases aren't staying as I'm going with a neutral grey for everyone in the end. Will fill in their eyes before clear-coating.

Next is the terrifying Space Leech. Straight from outer space to your inner nightmares. These are ready to be dipped. Its nice to work on something only two colors.

Also I ended up buying the pre-paint crew because I wanted to compare to my paint job. I'm happy to say mine is better. I will never care about pre-painted minis in a game ever again.

Finally, after a first pass the deadly Sentinels begin to take shape.

Still a lot of work to do but glad I started up again as I'd forgotten how relaxing it can be to listen to some music and paint minis.
Last edit: 16 Jul 2018 16:54 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Michael Barnes, Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds