October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2695 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

I just finished painting an entire game system. Anyone else?

More
15 Jul 2018 14:12 #277599 by drewcula
I could have posted this topic under 'what miniatures have you been painting.'
I should have?

On the other hand, I felt this subject may have merited it's own thread.

Last month, I put the last strokes on the remaining pieces in my gaming group's DreadBall collection. 600 plus pieces.
It took years.
I have a few regrets, but I still sleep well at night.

As most TWBGers & FATties know, I'm a DreadBall nut. It's not only the game I play the most, it was KICKSTARTED. OMG! Our own Mr. White suggested I write a blog about my DreadBall fanaticism, and I eventually agreed. For last week's post, I wrote about the experience of painting all these little bastards and I gave out some superlatives. It was a fun moment of reflection. Here's the link.

breaddoll.wordpress.com/2018/07/10/hobby...iature-superlatives/

I have not done this amount of work for any other game / game system. Eventually, I hope to tackle Cthulhu Wars (confession: I haven't even started). Likewise, I hope to finish HeroQuest (to date: base game and two expansions).

Has anyone else painted an entire game line of miniatures? Please share, so I can move forward knowing I'm not the only OCD painter/gamer out there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2018 14:22 #277601 by Michael Barnes
Love this statement-

painting a miniature is like a glorified coloring book. I’m slapping paint onto a fully realized image that happens to be three-dimensional. The process is fun, but it’s technique driven and strictly complementary/secondary to the work of the illustrator & sculptor. As such, it’s no where near as rewarding or fulfilling for me as creating unique works from conception to final execution.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, drewcula, GorillaGrody

More
15 Jul 2018 14:45 #277602 by Gary Sax
I love that green frog dude support model.

More
15 Jul 2018 17:11 #277607 by Michael Barnes
Andrew, this is nice and all but I have to tell you it is not the done thing. You are supposed to have:

20% of the models still on sprue
10% partially assembled
10% assembled
10% primed
10% partially painted
10% being repainted
10% fully painted but not based and/or varnished
20% complete and ready to play

You are going about this the wrong way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

More
15 Jul 2018 17:32 #277611 by Jackwraith
Fer reals. You're, like, crushing the enthusiasm of everyone around you.

No, seriously, that's impressive, mostly because my enthusiasm for painting over a dozen years of 40K/Fantasy finally wore down to nothing (I have 8000+ points of fully-painted Skaven!) I don't want to paint anymore. OTOH, I don't want to play GW games without fully painted models, because I feel like using primed stuff just isn't succeeding at life. So, I don't play GW stuff anymore. That's what first attracted me to X-Wing, since I could play all I wanted without feeling disappointed. But that wore off, too.

Now I just play games like The Others with the standard, pre-assembled gray minis that it came with. Seems OK.

More
15 Jul 2018 18:57 #277616 by drewcula

Jackwraith wrote:
Now I just play games like The Others with the standard, pre-assembled gray minis that it came with. Seems OK.

What do you think of The Others?

I've had it in it's shipping box (see Barnes?) since it arrived. I just can't muster the energy to tackle it. Even though I just met Eric Lang at Origins and had him sign my rulebooks for both The Others and Kaosball...

Now that I'm reading through this bloating mess of a game from Lang AND Daviau (Cthulhu: Death May Die) - The Others seems really similar.

I'm kind of interesting in painting that big stupid looking Cthulhu*, but I don't know if I can justify keeping two big games in the same design space. One vs. Many, as opposed to full co-op I appreciate.

*Frankly, I think I'd rather just buy the Cthulhu and leave the game behind.

More
15 Jul 2018 19:41 - 15 Jul 2018 19:46 #277617 by Colorcrayons
Definitely worthy of its own thread to showcase large, complete works.

Great idea. And also, good job on that. Not just for the effort, but the execution. Double plus good.

Hmmmmm... What completely painted stuff do I still have left?
My gorechosen retheme likely doesn't count since it was all prepainted Monpoc assets, yet I did do a absolute fuck ton of graphic design work. Kinda sorta counts? I dunno.

Upon deep reflection and collection management, I find that I no longer have a complete game painted by my own hands, since they've all been sold years ago or stolen.
This simply will not do.

Ahh well, I do have Wiz-War on the plate actively and agressively being worked on, so maybe I can contribute that at some point hopefully soon.

Again, bravo! The sense of pride and satisfaction after all that work is pretty unique. You can find success and pride for that success in many areas, but doing this kind of detail is something you deserve to be absolutely proud of and brag about.
Last edit: 15 Jul 2018 19:46 by Colorcrayons.

More
15 Jul 2018 20:39 #277619 by Jackwraith

drewcula wrote: What do you think of The Others?

I... like it? I appreciate the theme, even if that kind of overt Biblical stuff is a little tired (and, of course, they had to do the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse expansion, the models for which are amazing.) I like that there's so much variety in the selection of Agents and in the different challenges of the various Sins. I think the missions are a little limited (kill this number of enemies, get this number of models/tokens to this spot, etc.)

My one real hang-up with it is that it's a campaign game in disguise. To get the most of it, you really want to tell a story with it (just like 40K, for example.) That means you want a consistent group that will grow familiar with both the system and the selection of Agents and understand the implicit comparison of trying one mission with one team and the same mission with another team. It's as hard to have that much consistent gameplay as it is for most people trying to run an RPG, which means you either play nothing but that for a couple months worth of weekly game days or you're actually able to play more consistently than that (i.e. not most of us on this site.)

The other thing is the one vs many angle. I'm ALWAYS the one; in Descent, in Fury of Dracula, in The Others, in whatever we play, typically because I'm the owner of said games and I know the system best (I was almost always the DM in our RPG groups, too.) So, that's becoming more of a drawback as the years (and games) go by. If you have it on the shelf, I wouldn't let any of that stop you from trying it out. It's not revelatory, mechanics-wise. But it is pretty fun for a few sessions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, drewcula

More
15 Jul 2018 23:41 #277625 by drewcula

Colorcrayons wrote: Definitely worthy of its own thread to showcase large, complete works.

Great idea. And also, good job on that. Not just for the effort, but the execution. Double plus good.

Hmmmmm... What completely painted stuff do I still have left?
My gorechosen retheme likely doesn't count since it was all prepainted Monpoc assets, yet I did do a absolute fuck ton of graphic design work. Kinda sorta counts? I dunno.

Upon deep reflection and collection management, I find that I no longer have a complete game painted by my own hands, since they've all been sold years ago or stolen.
This simply will not do.

Ahh well, I do have Wiz-War on the plate actively and agressively being worked on, so maybe I can contribute that at some point hopefully soon.

Again, bravo! The sense of pride and satisfaction after all that work is pretty unique. You can find success and pride for that success in many areas, but doing this kind of detail is something you deserve to be absolutely proud of and brag about.

I wake up in the morning some days just to see if you've posted anything new for Wiz-War. Keep it going.
And had I any Monpoc in collection, I'd jump all over your Gorechosen reskin.

More
15 Jul 2018 23:46 #277626 by drewcula

Jackwraith wrote:

drewcula wrote: What do you think of The Others?

I... like it? I appreciate the theme, even if that kind of overt Biblical stuff is a little tired (and, of course, they had to do the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse expansion, the models for which are amazing.) I like that there's so much variety in the selection of Agents and in the different challenges of the various Sins. I think the missions are a little limited (kill this number of enemies, get this number of models/tokens to this spot, etc.)

My one real hang-up with it is that it's a campaign game in disguise. To get the most of it, you really want to tell a story with it (just like 40K, for example.) That means you want a consistent group that will grow familiar with both the system and the selection of Agents and understand the implicit comparison of trying one mission with one team and the same mission with another team. It's as hard to have that much consistent gameplay as it is for most people trying to run an RPG, which means you either play nothing but that for a couple months worth of weekly game days or you're actually able to play more consistently than that (i.e. not most of us on this site.)

The other thing is the one vs many angle. I'm ALWAYS the one; in Descent, in Fury of Dracula, in The Others, in whatever we play, typically because I'm the owner of said games and I know the system best (I was almost always the DM in our RPG groups, too.) So, that's becoming more of a drawback as the years (and games) go by. If you have it on the shelf, I wouldn't let any of that stop you from trying it out. It's not revelatory, mechanics-wise. But it is pretty fun for a few sessions.

Thanks for the honest reply. Your sentiment seems to be best I've run across. Tempered between the fanatics on KS and the haters. As a horror nut, I'm down to clown with Smith's illustrations. It's an amalgamation of all things Clive Barker and the 1990s and nothing terribly original. But Lang has been SO hit and miss for me. I think I would prefer the longer campaign nature, but I don't know if I want to make the investment if it's only going to rock my dark world for a handful of plays.

More
16 Jul 2018 11:08 #277662 by rafcordero
Congrats! The only system I have fully painted is Shadespire and that doesn't approach the number of minis you've done for Dreadball
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, drewcula

More
16 Jul 2018 11:17 #277663 by Jexik
Nope! There's a reason I play X-Wing and Heroscape. My Stuffed Fables is about 80% done though. ;)

More
16 Jul 2018 15:37 #277689 by drewcula

Jexik wrote: Nope! There's a reason I play X-Wing and Heroscape. My Stuffed Fables is about 80% done though. ;)

LOL. I hear ya there. I adore Heroscape. I jumped into Valhalla back in 2004 with full abandon largely because it was already painted. A few years earlier? It was Star Wars Epic Duels. Prior to 2010, all of my miniature based games were unpainted. Dungeon! Heroquest, Blood Bowl...

Things change...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
16 Jul 2018 16:49 #277701 by ubarose
The Spawn just asked me last night if I had any unpainted minis that needed painting. I was like, "Hell, yeah!" So maybe she will get some of mine done for me this summer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
16 Jul 2018 18:29 #277713 by Shellhead
If 2nd edition Fury of Dracula counts as an entire game system, I have finished painting an entire game system. All five figures.

I too have pondered that painting minis is somewhat like 3D paint by numbers.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.565 seconds