October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

Space Hulk: the Downward Spiral

More
06 Oct 2009 13:54 #43990 by Dr. Mabuse
I may have screwed up a bit. A day after I spray-primed my figs (Black) I noticed that there were areas that I missed (underneath armour etc,)I started to cover it with Chaos Black paint.

Should /can I spray primer over those areas painted or have I mucked things up?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2009 15:06 #43999 by VonTush
I wouldn't worry about it. I've used Chaos Black to "spot prime" models before and haven't had probelms. Especially since the areas that I miss are usually tucked away under the model or in a hidden area. The main thing is Chaos Black has more of a semi-gloss than primer which is matte. That means the paint will take a little bit differently but the areas you describe sound like it'll be black anyways so you shouldn't notice it at all. If anything you may want to thin the Chaos Black out a bit because it is thicker than primer so a thick coat of Chaos Black will cause you to lose some detail (if there is detail there).

One thing though, notice and keep in mind the results that you get between painting on primer compared to painting on the Chaos Black. The results will be slightly different; Using Blood Red to cover Chaos Black will look different than Blood Red on black primer. You now have increased your painting knowledge and when you desire a certian look on a model you'll more about how to get there. There really is nothing that you can do "wrong" in painting, there's just moments for learning.

More
06 Oct 2009 15:21 #44001 by Dr. Mabuse
Thanks LVT. I'll be using Mechite Red as the foundation instead of Blood Red by the way so hopefully it shouldn't make too much of a difference.

More
06 Oct 2009 15:40 #44003 by VonTush
It shouldn't at all. Is that one of the GW foundation paints? I've never gotten around to trying one of them and I'd be interested to see how they work for you if that is the case.

Honestly the best advice I can give regarding painting is keep in mind a lot of it will be trial by fire. There are ump-teen different ways you can apprach something to get a result but you'll learn over time what works best for you.

For example when I first got into mini gaming I learned some basic painting techniques from my buddy who has some mad artistic skills. Try as I might though I couldn't get the results that I wanted using those techniques (dry-brushing and inking) but a few years back when I started to paint a Chaos Dwarf team for Blood Bowl I decided to go a whole new route in terms of painting did I start to find the style that I thought worked best for me and started to give me the results that I was really happy with.

And if all else fails, Simple Green works to strip paint off of plastic! Just don't let it sit too long or the chemicals will alter the plastic making it soft and for all practical purposes trash.

More
07 Oct 2009 22:30 #44128 by Shellhead
So my friend with the 40k background showed me some basic painting techniques tonight on some plastic Zombies!!!. His priming technique was excellent, just like Skeletor said, just the briefest press of the button on the spray can. He couldn't find half of his stuff, so we used Scorched Brown for a wash, and that didn't show up with much contrast against the black primer.

Then he showed me how he drybrushes for highlights, mixing a yellow with that Scorched Brown to get a dark mustard color. He basically twitches the paint brush up and down as he slowly moves the brush towards the figure, as though he has some kind of palsy. Once he makes contact with the figure, the brush just briefly flicks across the surface a few times, leaving only paint on the most raised surfaces. But he was out of practice, so the dry-brushing result wasn't especially great. But it looked better than mine, so he repeated his dry-brushing on my zombie, and again, it looked better.

We didn't finish with sealant, because I left mine at home and he couldn't find his sealant. He doesn't dip his figures, so he had no guidance for me there. He did say that he tends to skip putting any paint at all on the bottom of the base of the figure, and that sounds good to me, because I don't want to make these figures tipsy, since I plan on playing a lot of Space Hulk after these figures are finished.

I wasn't altogether impressed with his results, though he did show me some figures that he did in the past that looked much better. So my general game plan at this point is:

1. Practice everything on plastic zombies until they start looking cool.
2. Start painting just the door stands for Space Hulk, because they look a lot easier than everything else in the set. Then the Gene-Stealers, and then finally the Marines last, because they have the most detail.
3. Prime in black, with spray-on primer.
4. Wash the Gene-Stealers in blue.
5. Paint the armor with mechrite red foundation.
6. Paint all the other areas that I plan to paint, working outwards with the most detailed stuff last.
7. Seal with a matte spray-on sealer.

More
08 Oct 2009 20:20 #44258 by Shellhead
Should I do the whole figure, or leave the underside of the base alone? If I do prime/paint/seal everything, will the figure be more likely to tip over during play? If I don't prime/paint/seal everything, will the paint job at the edge of the base become more prone to chipping?

I will start priming tomorrow, first zombies, then doorbases if it's going well. Maybe even Gene-Stealers and Marines if I like the preliminary results.

More
09 Oct 2009 10:17 #44291 by VonTush
For regular troop figures I never worry about painting the underside of the model, a little bit of primer, no problem. My thought is, paint flakes or chips because of contact with things, so I prefer to not put it on the bottom which is the part of the model that is always in contact with something.

As to chipping on the side, it shouldn't but chances are paint will chip or flake somewhere on the model and not just the base and touch-up is just part of the game.

More
10 Oct 2009 10:25 #44352 by Shellhead
I did some target practice priming with the zombies early yesterday evening. At first I was either too close or too far, getting too much primer on an obscuring details (plus knocking over the zombies with the blast) or not enough and missing spots. After I started getting better results, I brought out the door bases from SH to prime.

(I'm feeling time pressure because my painting area is unheated, and we got our first snowfall today. I assume that the cold means that I will need to move my figures inside to dry properly after priming.)

Anyway, the quality of light outside was declining, so I didn't notice that my black primer wasn't fully covering these dark blue door bases. So I will need to prime them again today, possibly just brushing on some primer where the missed spots aren't big.

More
10 Oct 2009 16:57 #44359 by Shellhead
I hit the game store again today, picking up another $20 worth of supplies. I decided that I definitely wanted the Mechrite Red foundation paint, extra black ink, plus Baal Red wash and some dark blue wash. And another brush with a fine tip. I managed to restrain myself from buying the set of glass mixing jars and fancy mixing pipettes. I think that I have spent as much on paint, brushes, glue and other supplies as I did on Space Hulk itself. Good thing that I have a 10% discount at the game store.

Spray-priming is fun. I had shot of bourbon first, to steady my hands. Just finished priming all the Space Hulk stuff, then did my Fury of Dracula figures at the end. Somehow it took me all afternoon, though. Even with a hot lamp trained on spraying table, the drying was kind of slow, so I kept bringing pieces in to warm up. Is it just me, or are some of those Space Marines really difficult to spray prime? The sculpts are so intricate that I had to spray from a variety of angles to hit everything. I can still see all the details, though, so I don't think that I overdid it.

Before priming the Marines, I did superglue a little sand to the tops of their bases. by the time I finish painting them, it won't look like sand (hopefully) but small bits of random debris underfoot. One Marine kept falling over, until I noticed that I had accidentally got some glue on the underside of his base before dipping him in the sand.

I'm going to let the primer dry completely overnight, just in case. Besides, even in the well-ventilated backporch, I seem to have caught a chemical buzz.

More
10 Oct 2009 17:25 #44363 by KingPut
I started on the Free Peoples army from WoR today. Two things I learned. 1st Navy Blue looks too close to Black so my Navy Blue Dwarfs look like they're on the Black Nazgul team. I also learned that Gloss spray paint takes forever to dry. I went with mostly flat paints but I'm trying to get shades of blue for Free People and shades of red for the Shadow side but the stores I've been shopping at don't have a great selection of shades.

More
10 Oct 2009 21:22 #44368 by ubarose
We spent the afternoon painting our Last Night on Earth dudes. We didn't prime anything. The first coat of whatever color I'm using=primer. We just do it kind of assembly line style. We each pick a color, and do all the bits of that color on each figure. By the time we finish passing them down the line, the first one's are dry enough for the second coat. A couple more hours this weekend and they will all be done.

More
10 Oct 2009 22:31 #44372 by Shellhead
Primer is nasty stuff. Despite doing all my priming in a well-ventilated area, complete with intermittent arctic breezes, I got a buzz from the process. A couple hours later, I noticed that my nose seemed a little stuffed up. I blew my nose, and saw black-primed stuff on the tissue.

After a couple of hours passed, I decided to check on my figures. The primer seemed quite dry, so I thought that maybe I could experiment a little with metallic paint and the door bases. I didn't waste money getting the tin color they recommended, figuring that I could wash with Baal red for a slightly rusty tint later. So I started dry-brushing them with Gunbolt Metal. I did a half-dozen, and figured that I would let them dry overnight and see how I liked the color in the morning.

Then I accidentally knocked over my paint pot, spilling nearly half the paint on my newspaper covered table.

So I closed the paint pot and then started quickly dry-brushing the rest of the door bases. I figured that the metal interior of the Space Hulk isn't going to look pretty anyway, so this was not necessarily a problem, working under these conditions. I finished the door bases and still had some usable paint (the thick texture of the paint meant that it didn't spread far when it spilled), so I grabbed some of the Gene-Stealers.

I focused on the Gene-Stealers perched on metallic infrastructure, plus the two ripping up through the floor. And I also dry-brushed the base of that Marine is reaching down and ripping up some floor. That went pretty well, except that dry-brushing the glued-on sand on the Marine's base was a little difficult. Fortunately, my limited skills can do justice to random debris.

More
11 Oct 2009 01:24 #44377 by Dr. Mabuse
Shell, you didn't use a mask?

First rule of Paint Club: Prime Outside.
Second Rule of Paint Club: WEAR A MASK!
Third Rule of Paint Club: See Rules 1 and 2!

More
11 Oct 2009 01:37 #44378 by dragonstout
Just wanted to say this is my favorite painting thread ever. Thanks to Shellhead for portraying what it's *really* like to paint for the first time!

More
11 Oct 2009 01:41 - 11 Oct 2009 01:41 #44379 by Not Sure
Masks are for sissies. Just ask this guy. I think he was going for Gold Disco Space Marines.

Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Oct 2009 01:41 by Not Sure.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.286 seconds