October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

Space Hulk: the Downward Spiral

More
23 Oct 2009 12:16 #45305 by VonTush
What I was planning on using for my models is some egg crate foam. Typical uses are foam bed liners or acoustical tiles for soundproofing rooms. I was planning on getting some of that, cutting to pieces the size of the SH box and sandwiching the models between the two pieces in the box.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2009 12:22 #45307 by Space Ghost
ubarose wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

I'm going to pick up some kind of fleshtone paint tonight. I won't need it anytime soon for Space Hulk, but I'm going to try to do my Fury of Dracula figures by Saturday. I'm hosting a day of horror-themed boardgames on Sunday (with my collection, I could easily host a week like that), and FoD remains popular with my group.

I used Elf Flesh with the Sepia wash on my FoD hunters, and Elf Flesh over a white base, then a black wash for Dracula. Black wash greys down the color, while the sepia warms it up. I think it worked well.

Argh! I found the FoD minis the hardest to paint. The little bastards are extra tiny and without much detail. The bodies turned out well, but the faces were pretty hard for me.

I am working on the MEQ minis now -- they have a lot of detail too, but the original color of the minis (shiny grey) makes it hard to see the detail once they are primed with a black primer.

More
23 Oct 2009 12:26 #45308 by Shellhead
Space Ghost,

I noticed the same thing about those FoD figures. Judging by pictures posted online, it would be easy to get the faces wrong, trying to paint facial features. So I'm just going to paint flesh tones and then ink-wash them like Uba suggested, letting the ink create the suggestion of details. They're so small that I think just hitting the basic color schemes on the character cards will be sufficient for my purposes.

More
23 Oct 2009 16:06 #45324 by Space Ghost
Shellhead wrote:

Space Ghost,

I noticed the same thing about those FoD figures. Judging by pictures posted online, it would be easy to get the faces wrong, trying to paint facial features. So I'm just going to paint flesh tones and then ink-wash them like Uba suggested, letting the ink create the suggestion of details. They're so small that I think just hitting the basic color schemes on the character cards will be sufficient for my purposes.

Yeah, I have been considering going back to cover up the faces with flesh and then ink-washing them. But, I put a lot of time trying to get some color into the eyes.....I hate doing over my work.

More
27 Oct 2009 21:58 #45629 by Space Ghost
I was just curious how you guys shade or highlight all black figures -- any suggestions?

More
27 Oct 2009 23:25 - 27 Oct 2009 23:30 #45635 by VonTush
Space Ghost wrote:

I was just curious how you guys shade or highlight all black figures -- any suggestions?

That's actually one thing I've never been good at and I need to work at. Here is a link for what looks like a pretty good guide (I haven't read it all but but it looks well written and pretty comprehensive).

Edit: Ok...This link thing just isn't working for me tonight.
forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=97359&mode=linear
Last edit: 27 Oct 2009 23:30 by VonTush.

More
28 Oct 2009 11:39 #45661 by Shellhead
In comic books, artists often use midnight blue for highlights on black costumes. While working with my Fury of Dracula figures, I experimented with leaving the black primer on Dracula's cape and then painting it with Chaos Black just for the highlights, but that didn't really provide enough contrast. I will post some pictures here soon of my FoD figures, which are more than halfway finished.

More
21 Nov 2009 19:19 #47645 by Shellhead
I finally got back to work on Space Hulk today. Since I haven't been doing any painting this month, I thought that I should stick to something straightforward, like the door bases. Mine are basically done, but I wanted to wash some blue for a more shiny metallic surface, and then wash some others red for a rustier look.

Though I did some more reading online about using washes, it didn't really sink in properly, because I was very dissatisfied with the results, even though I watered down the inks to the consistency of milk, just like everybody said. The wash tended to overpower the basecoat, and in a couple of spots, washed the basecoat away, leaving only primer. Fortunately, I only tested two door stands. After wiping away my mistakes with kleenex, I let those two stands dry, then touched up the bolt metal basecoat.

Then I made one more mistake. I didn't look closely at the sealant can before shaking and spraying. I was certain I just bought standard sealant, because I kept thinking that I would need to go back and get some more in the dull coat variety for certain figures. But no, I bought the dull coat to start with, which will look fine on my FoD figures and space marines, but left my doorbases looking less metallic. I will pick some more sealant and for a shiner final layer of sealant, plus use that sealant on the Gene Stealers, for a glossier, slimier look.

More
21 Nov 2009 20:06 - 21 Nov 2009 20:07 #47646 by The Expanding Man
Shellhead wrote:

I finally got back to work on Space Hulk today. Since I haven't been doing any painting this month, I thought that I should stick to something straightforward, like the door bases. Mine are basically done, but I wanted to wash some blue for a more shiny metallic surface, and then wash some others red for a rustier look.

Though I did some more reading online about using washes, it didn't really sink in properly, because I was very dissatisfied with the results, even though I watered down the inks to the consistency of milk, just like everybody said. The wash tended to overpower the basecoat, and in a couple of spots, washed the basecoat away, leaving only primer. Fortunately, I only tested two door stands. After wiping away my mistakes with kleenex, I let those two stands dry, then touched up the bolt metal basecoat.

Then I made one more mistake. I didn't look closely at the sealant can before shaking and spraying. I was certain I just bought standard sealant, because I kept thinking that I would need to go back and get some more in the dull coat variety for certain figures. But no, I bought the dull coat to start with, which will look fine on my FoD figures and space marines, but left my doorbases looking less metallic. I will pick some more sealant and for a shiner final layer of sealant, plus use that sealant on the Gene Stealers, for a glossier, slimier look.

I get good results on metallics by dry brushing GW boltgun metal and then instead of an ink or wash, put on a coat of Tamiya smoke. You will need some isopropyl alcohol to clean your brush, and it helps to dip your brush first in the alcohol and then the smoke to help thin the smoke and get better coverage.

I've done my door bases this way, and it worked out good. Just highlight the edges afterwards with a line of boltgun metal.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2009 20:07 by The Expanding Man.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds