October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

What Minis Are You Painting?

More
27 Jun 2018 15:53 #276401 by GorillaGrody
After about seven months of off and on work, I think my Ogres are finally done.

Am strongly considering adding a couple of Gargants down the line.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: barrowdown

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2018 15:56 #276402 by GorillaGrody
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Michael Barnes, drewcula, birdman37, barrowdown

More
27 Jun 2018 16:19 #276407 by Michael Barnes
The blue bases are an unusual but very cool choice. Those look like fun to paint - Los of personality.

I’m working on the Warscryer Citadel at last. Needed a break from Nurgle and Gaslands. It is not a great model- like a lot of GW’s older scenery kits it has weird shifts in texture and it doesn’t fit together all that well. It looks pretty neat overall, but it is definitely an “arm’s length” model.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GorillaGrody

More
27 Jun 2018 17:24 #276413 by Gary Sax
I really like the feathered/furry beast

More
06 Jul 2018 13:35 #277031 by GorillaGrody
PSA: Waystone Green is such a magical paint I’m thinking of rubbing it into my eyes to see if I become a less mediocre person, because what it’s done to a mediocre paint job has made me a less unhappy person.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Michael Barnes, Gary Sax, Hadik, barrowdown, BaronDonut, Scott Rogers

More
06 Jul 2018 13:39 #277033 by Michael Barnes
Mediocre??? Get outta here dude!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
06 Jul 2018 13:59 #277034 by GorillaGrody

Michael Barnes wrote: Mediocre??? Get outta here dude!

I’m telling you, I owe it all to the way Waystone Green and Nihilakh Oxide interact. I could have practically blindfolded myself and got a pretty good result.

More
06 Jul 2018 14:04 #277035 by Michael Barnes
I started on my Nighthaunts...I’m using the new paints. I tried the “battle ready” style that Peachy has in his video, but I thought it didn’t look good- he was doing Hexwraith Flame I’ve over the whole thing and then Nighthaunt Gloom over the cloaks. They looked sort of one dimensional. So I decided to do the cloaks black, and now thy have more of that “Haunted Mansion” look I wanted. I really don’t like painting black because I have trouble highlighting it, but so far the four I’ve done look decent.

I like the models (Chainrasps)...but they have this kind of inconsistency that GW models sometimes have. They kind of don’t make sense. Double fabric areas, a bone face, spectral arms...it’s sort of a mishmash. If you do the skull bone color, then why are the arms spectral? But if you do the arms bone, it’s weird because they aren’t skeletal. I get that the effect is supposed to be that they are sort of between ethereal and corporeal...but it’s sort of awkward.

I did Keldrek too...very easy and fun to paint.

The new paints are good- they are basically different colors of Nihilakh Oxide. Hexwraith Flame is CRAZY bright green, but dry brushing Ulthuan over it gives a good result- you have to go pretty steady/heavy over it. Nighthaunt Gloom is tricky- it’s really like a very liquid Thunderhawk Blue so it has a dusty gray hue- not really a “spectral” color. The guidance is to paint it over Ionrach Skin and highlight with Deepkin Flesh, but I’ve found it too dark. It’s probably better if you want a less Haunted Mansion look.

More
06 Jul 2018 14:48 - 06 Jul 2018 14:48 #277037 by GorillaGrody
I’m really curious about the new paints, but am already deeply committed to the Oxide thing from my previous death models.

I found the Chainrasps a little vexing, too. Mostly, I worry that there’s not enough differentiation between them and other Nighthaunt models on the table. In the end, I’ve decided to just let them be caspery ghost-type ghosts. They fit in with the official Myrnmourn look this way.

Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Jul 2018 14:48 by GorillaGrody.

More
11 Jul 2018 09:22 - 11 Jul 2018 09:26 #277299 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
Watched Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans and quickly fell in love with the grunt suit.

Very impressive kit also. It had inner frame, which usually HG 1/144 kits don't. Not many accessories (just the axe and rifle), but extremely cheap kit. I recommend this to anyone wanting to try gunpla.
Last edit: 11 Jul 2018 09:26 by Sevej.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, barrowdown, GorillaGrody

More
11 Jul 2018 17:02 #277357 by Michael Barnes
We have a few of those Graze dudes, they are really cool. I think the dark green one (female pilot) is the best one.

More
12 Jul 2018 13:22 #277404 by GorillaGrody
Painting ghosts is fun.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Michael Barnes, birdman37, Hadik, Dr. Lao, Scott Rogers

More
18 Jul 2018 10:40 #277818 by ubarose
Those are totally gorgeous GG

More
06 Aug 2018 10:01 - 06 Aug 2018 10:03 #279309 by GorillaGrody
Going to play my third game of Kill Team later in the week. I’ve played AdMech vs Harlequins and Death Guard vs Grey Knights so far. I decided to whip up a Thousand Sons squad in anticipation of playing vs. my friend’s Tau.

My take is that this is the best iteration of a GW skirmish system I’ve seen. I wouldn’t blame anyone from shying away from this after Shadow Wars and Necromunda were both whiffed within a year of each other. It might help, however, to know that GW called in designers with real competitive/ board game chops, rather than just sentimentality for the legacy, to design Kill Team. It introduces the 8e base mechanisms perfectly, while changing them up enough to be fun in a small team environment. Still too many “roll one die through 4 steps” moments, but overall this is a winner, one I’d happily play anytime.

Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Aug 2018 10:03 by GorillaGrody.

More
06 Aug 2018 11:45 #279320 by Michael Barnes
Enough is enough. “Oh hay, I just randomly decided to paint up some fucking incredible looking 1k Sons.” I hate you!

Seriously though, great work on those. I keep thinking about doing a KT with them (like I need another). I’ve got Tzaangors out the ass, just need the Rubrics.

KT is...I kind of think...better than playing full 40k. I had an awesome game last night with Orks Burna Boyz v. AdMech. Lines of Battle scenario. Just 50 points a side. Orks did their Orky thing, charging and spraying fire everywhere. AdMech managed to hold thanks to some well placed snipers and Canticles of the Omnissiah bonuses. 30 minutes from scouting to resolution.

I don’t know why they keep on with the three roll resolution.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.569 seconds