October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2699 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

What Minis Are You Painting?

More
04 Jan 2019 08:11 #289230 by the_jake_1973
A couple more Arcadia Quest figures.

Hammer Bros.

I was going for a greenish stone with hints of gold and copper, but it ended up looking a bit heavy on the metallic side. I don't hate it, but I'll likely stipple some grey over the hammers it to knock it down a bit. The picture does not do justice to the depth of the body color which is too bad.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, drewcula, birdman37, Hadik, GorillaGrody

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2019 15:05 #289676 by GorillaGrody
First miniature I’ve painted from this line.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Sevej, birdman37, the_jake_1973, charlest, Hadik

More
14 Jan 2019 15:21 - 14 Jan 2019 15:23 #289986 by Matt Thrower
Took me literally a year to do my first whole warband - I'm a slow painter at the best of times and I don't particularly enjoy it. But I do like the results.

The first one took ages in dribs and drabs. Then I did two more in a burst of a few days. Then the last one I got bored so it was dribs and drabs again.

Ironically I started with these first because they're my least favourite warband. Was never much of a fan of GW Orcs and I like them even less now they're Orruks or whatever. But it seemed a good way to re-acquaint myself with a brush as it wouldn't matter too much if it went wrong.

Another photo here that will just not attach for some reason
1drv.ms/u/s!Aud9y2sjHqsPg8tr0Oa8t13-IfM7YQ

To be honest, I'm not massively enthusiastic about the sculpts and fluff of any of the bands. I like the Briar Queen and the Sepulchral Guard the best (my WFB armies were Empire and Vampire Counts) but the number of models puts me off when I'm so slow. What I'd really like is Nurgle, but it doesn't exist. Yet.

Going to do Steelheart next in a hoplite style, all bronze and limited colour so it should be a bit faster. Maybe only 6 months.
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Jan 2019 15:23 by Matt Thrower.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, allismom3, Brewmiester, Sevej, birdman37, GorillaGrody

More
14 Jan 2019 17:50 #289998 by Michael Barnes
The Nighthaunts are suuuuuuper easy IF you don’t worry about the details and the fact that they are stunningly incongruous models with too many textures (bone, skin, cloth, and ethereal all sort of mix and match.

Here’s what you do.

Spray Corax white
Brush with either Hexwraith Flame/Nighthaunt Gloom/Nihilakh Oxide

Done. You can get fancy and dry brush with Ulthuan Gray. If you want more depth, wash with Coelia Greenshade and then do that. If you think they need more, Leadbelcher the metals. But they actually look good one ghostly color.

The Corax White is the critical element there- other whites don’t work as well for this technique.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, allismom3, Hadik

More
14 Jan 2019 21:30 #290006 by Hadik
Replied by Hadik on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
Here are my Spooky Bois... one got lost on the workbench....

The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, GorillaGrody

More
15 Jan 2019 04:25 #290018 by Matt Thrower

Michael Barnes wrote: The Corax White is the critical element there- other whites don’t work as well for this technique.

Great tips. but I'd be grateful if you could elaborate further on why this is? I don't generally use spray paints - they're expensive and I don't trust them to cover properly. And I normally undercoat black, so I'd not use a white spray for anything else. But corax white is only available as a spray so I'd prefer to go with a pot paint colour if possible?

Agree on the idea of leaving them mostly white, but I won't be able to resist on painting in the metals at least. I love that Varclav the Cruel model, and I feel it would be dull without all those barbs and mail and keys blocked in. Plus I like the idea of dead spirits using real weapons to cause real damage to the living.

More
15 Jan 2019 06:22 #290022 by Jazzbeaux

MattDP wrote: Great tips. but I'd be grateful if you could elaborate further on why this is? I don't generally use spray paints - they're expensive and I don't trust them to cover properly. And I normally undercoat black, so I'd not use a white spray for anything else. But corax white is only available as a spray so I'd prefer to go with a pot paint colour if possible?

You really do like taking the slow paint route, a spray will save you time and you can get colour match pots from places like Army Painter as well as Gamesworkshop for any undercuts that don't get a full coat.

More
15 Jan 2019 06:47 #290025 by Matt Thrower

Jazzbeaux wrote: You really do like taking the slow paint route, a spray will save you time and you can get colour match pots from places like Army Painter as well as Gamesworkshop for any undercuts that don't get a full coat.

It's the money, mostly. I don't like lavishing cash just to save time, and a can is 3-4 the price of a pot and doesn't cover as many figures. Plus if you're having to paint over gaps, it's not actually saving that much time.

More
15 Jan 2019 06:56 #290027 by Jazzbeaux
It depends a little how you spray, I used to do it in a box on a flat surface so mostly the paint came from above with lots of missed areas. So perhaps 60% solid coverage?

I now use heavy duty cardboard tubes (get them from work) with blutac to attach the figures. I can then rotate the tube as I spray and more importantly get an angle underneath. Now 95% coverage! Do need to do outside though...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower

More
16 Jan 2019 07:23 - 17 Jan 2019 03:57 #290087 by Jazzbeaux
Recent work, Plaguebearer and Blight King by me. Skeleton by my nine year old son.

Its upside down!!! Did try to correct this...
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Jan 2019 03:57 by Jazzbeaux.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, allismom3

More
18 Jan 2019 15:39 - 18 Jan 2019 15:40 #290229 by GorillaGrody
Gandolf, with friend.

Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Jan 2019 15:40 by GorillaGrody.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
18 Jan 2019 15:41 #290230 by GorillaGrody
Aragorn, with friends.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sevej

More
19 Jan 2019 22:40 #290290 by GorillaGrody
More Middle Earth.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, hotseatgames, drewcula, Hadik, WadeMonnig

More
20 Jan 2019 21:41 #290320 by WadeMonnig
My soon to be miniature painter (daughter's boyfriend) was super impressed with this thread, especially the LOTR. I'm going to have him start on the monsters in cyclades.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GorillaGrody

More
25 Jan 2019 20:02 #290702 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic What Minis Are You Painting?

Making progress on the dragon rampant army.

The wife finally finds a hobby to do in the evenings so I have been working on one unit throughout the week, the front most one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.098 seconds