October 09, 2023
2425 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2633 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

What Minis Are You Painting?

More
06 Jul 2016 21:54 #229784 by metalface13
Gotta catch 'em all!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2016 01:48 #230309 by Mr. White
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, ChristopherMD, Brewmiester, hotseatgames, drewcula, birdman37

More
28 Jul 2016 08:14 #230983 by Mr. White
So, I really liked the way that image of the Miners came off and have played with redoing team photos of the others in the same format. Team logo in the middle, a few models facing backward to see the numbers, etc. I'm trying to do this with natural lighting, but I seem to get a little shadow on the right side. oh well.

I need to paint my MVPs for the league up next, then back to another team.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, JEM

More
26 Aug 2016 08:29 - 26 Aug 2016 08:30 #232837 by Mr. White

My painting has stalled a bit when it came to doing up the six MVPs for the league, but I decided to jump back into it and the Enforcer model seemed the easiest way to do it. I was right. The above individual was done with only three colors and took about 20mins. If I were to paint a Deadzone Enforcer faction similarly, I could probably do a whole group in about an hour. Basically, I used Chainmail Silver on a few parts, Adeptus Battlegrey on the others, and a spot of Ice Blue. Then I washed the whole mini with Nuln Oil and when dry did a sorta-dry brush of Chainmail Silver to shiny the armor bits and touched the Ice Blue to the chest light. Done.

Originally, I was thinking I’d paint him green with a purple face mask or maybe go with one of the many Iron Man variants that this model seems to be painted in frequently. In the end, I spotted what looked to be a Robocop take on the model and thought that was perfect. Initially I was thinking his chest light would be red, but being a guard and having a red front arc I wanted a little more color. Plus, Dreadball makes me think of neon blue and red, so going with the electric Ice Blue seemed natural.

One thing that I really enjoy about painting these sort of sci-fi models is that with spray paint technology, at the least, being a thing the models are really easy to paint. I mean, a fantasy model requires more colors as armor, straps, cloaks, boats, hair, etc are all different colors and also require their own shading. With sci-fi models one can assume the metal/hard plastic can simply be painted, so in the end you can paint a model with fewer colors and it still look sharp for the setting.
Last edit: 26 Aug 2016 08:30 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd, JEM

More
26 Aug 2016 12:05 - 26 Aug 2016 12:07 #232853 by Michael Barnes
Maybe today I'll post some pictures of the Midcentury Meteors, the Krash City Killdozers, the Locust Grove Greenbacks and the Judwan Jazz.

I've also got a bunch of Enforcers painted but they look bad- they aren't as easy to paint as you think. Lots of cruddy casting and shallow detail. It doesn't help that I tried to get fancy and mix a custom color, I kind of went with one of their stock color schemes with some tweaks, but this sort of light turquoise color didn't too too well.

Forge Fathers look much better, olive green/brass/orange.

Asterians are looking OK, they are pretty easy to do. Wanted a metallic blue for their armor, light gray for everything else.

Painted all of the Black Plague/Wulfsburg/Hero Box 1 heroes...mixed bag- bad sculpts and bad skill. The Crowz and Wulfz look decent though (all drybrushing, son).

Also recently did the assassins and the Sorceror Lord from Execution Force- these are the best things I've done yet.
Last edit: 26 Aug 2016 12:07 by Michael Barnes.

More
26 Aug 2016 13:20 - 26 Aug 2016 13:56 #232861 by Mr. White
Do it.

It'd be awesome to see more work from other folk up in here.
Last edit: 26 Aug 2016 13:56 by Mr. White.

More
26 Aug 2016 13:37 #232862 by Jarvis
Replied by Jarvis on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
I'll have to get some photos of my stuff. I got my WWE Showdown figures done but still haven't found a way to reduce the tackiness after varnishing them. I may just need to wait it out.

Currently painting the Imperial Assualt: Bespin heroes/Villians and the Mansion of Madness 2.0 heroes. I'm hoping to have them done this weekend so they will be ready for gaming by next weekend.

More
26 Aug 2016 14:10 #232864 by SuperflyPete

Jarvis wrote: I'll have to get some photos of my stuff. I got my WWE Showdown figures done but still haven't found a way to reduce the tackiness after varnishing them. I may just need to wait it out.

In my experience, if they're tacky, they stay tacky forever. I had this issue with my Last Night on Earth stuff, which really STILL pisses me off, 4 years out. There is a solution: Mix 2-3 parts water with PVA glue, and brush on a thin layer. It covers the tackiness up and you end up with an almost rubbery feel, which is better. If it doesn't take the first time, do it again and again to build up a layer of PVA. Just be advised to NOT RUSH. Thin it out really well or it gets drippy and you end up with "droopy" looking areas, especially in areas like crotches, which is both disturbing and amusing in equal parts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jarvis

More
26 Aug 2016 14:19 - 26 Aug 2016 14:19 #232866 by Mr. White
Same thing happened to my Last Night on Earth set. All the minis stayed tacky. I couldn't stand it so sold the game off.

Pete, too bad you're selling of your Armada stuff. Your ships here looked ace!
Last edit: 26 Aug 2016 14:19 by Mr. White.

More
26 Aug 2016 15:26 #232875 by SuperflyPete
To be fair, I pretty much ended with those. I just played it in primer (each faction was primed in a different color) and that was that.

More
27 Aug 2016 15:29 - 27 Aug 2016 15:29 #232914 by Mr. White

This Nightshade model looks like a good candidate for a Batman style treatment, but I never was much of a DC fan. However, I was into a sorta ‘not-Batman’ character from Marvel…Night Thrasher. Well, I was into the first run of the New Warriors through Nova, and Night Thrasher was the leader.

I understand he’s dead now, but I used his colors and get-up as an inspiration for painting this Nightshade model. I added a little more red and light grey though just to give the fig more color…a solid dark grey fig wouldn’t do.

This model took longer than it look because the detail on the face is incredibly small. I had to do the eyes over and over and over. Eventually, I just settled on “oh,well…guess he’s got white contacts” which is fine because his image in the season two book looks to have no pupils as well.

Though looking at the model now, I should have painted some checks on him because he’s clearly skanking…

Last edit: 27 Aug 2016 15:29 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Columbob, Brewmiester, JEM

More
28 Aug 2016 23:29 #232948 by Jarvis
I finally got a couple of photos uploaded that I've done. I tend to go for a good tabletop level play. I stopped going for competition level painting for something that I like and I'm not embarrassed by.

WWE Superstar Showdown:
File Attachment:

Mansions of Madness 2.0 Investigators
File Attachment:

Imperial Assault (Bespin And latest heroes/allies/villians:
File Attachment:
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Mr. White, Columbob, Brewmiester, hotseatgames, JEM

More
29 Aug 2016 08:13 #232953 by Mr. White
Great job with the bases on the MoM minis.

Did you 'blackline' the wrestlers?

More
29 Aug 2016 08:25 #232954 by Gary Sax
You guys are good. Kudos.

More
29 Aug 2016 08:55 - 29 Aug 2016 09:25 #232961 by Jarvis

Mr. White wrote: Great job with the bases on the MoM minis.

Did you 'blackline' the wrestlers?

Thanks! Depending on the game, I like to paint the bases like the background of the board. So they are using tiles from the game. For Fury of Dracula, I did the map with occasional train lines running through them.

As for the wrestlers, it was the skin tone under them. I generally start with a Dark Flesh undertone and gradually lighten them. Usually there is not much of it you will see on the final product. For the wrestlers, I left it in an exaggerated style.
Last edit: 29 Aug 2016 09:25 by Jarvis.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.284 seconds