October 09, 2023
2493 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2696 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

What Minis Are You Painting?

More
17 Oct 2009 03:22 #44948 by Lagduf
After a long painting Hiatus I've determined to finish my 40k Salamanders Space Marine forces.

I'm starting with 5 terminators, then i'll move on to 10 tactical marines, a command squad, 5 assault terminators, and finally Vulkan. Oh, and I guess I have two Dreadnoughts to paint as well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2009 09:48 #44992 by Old Dwarf
I'm about to get started on a American War of Independence Project
painting up Regiments of Baccus 6mm strands.The Loyalists & Indians
are on back order & I don't like to start painting until I have all
the figs I need.

OD

More
23 Nov 2009 11:49 #47705 by NeonPeon
I've begun painting my minis for........Dungeonquest of all things! I was never good at painting to begin with but it's been ages, so this should be a learning experience. All I've done so far is prime the minis. First lesson learned - spraying primer outside when there's even a slight breeze sucks. (Duh!!)

I tried not to over-prime, but I felt like I was spraying more than I wanted to, to cover all the details. I can't notice any obscured details so I think I did OK.

I'm using a fairly dark grey primer, and the pieces look much better already. Unpainted metal figures look like shiny blobs. The four plastic figures from the main set have been blue for the past 20+ years - it's almost surreal seeing them in a different color!

More
23 Nov 2009 15:21 #47733 by robartin
Talisman 4th ed. I wish they'd quit releasing expansions. I'm never going to finish. New set of Vallejo paints, they are SO much better than the GW crap I used to use. Next, a set of vintage Fury of Dracula minis.

More
23 Nov 2009 16:56 #47738 by Michael Barnes
Wow, I hope those TALISMAN figs are as beautiful as the work you did on QUEST FOR THE DRAGONLORDS. I mean, the red eyes of that white dragon were truly magnicificent. And the colors you used to paint the individual army piece just made them come alive.

Re: Vallejo- part of the reason that I will likely never paint another miniature again is because I no longer have free access to literally every single color in Vallejo's catalog. That was MIGHTY nice, having all that right there at hand in the store. Plus great quality brushes and supplies, always there...they make some really excellent paints, the reds, yellows, and whites they have blow Citadel out of the water.

More
23 Nov 2009 17:01 #47739 by Rliyen
Got a hair up my butt and pulled out the paints.

Currently working on:

MC-SoTC: Ezoghoul, Razide, Cybertronic Doomtroopers. I finished the Imperials. Ezo's going to look great once I'm finished with it.

Void: I have some Void minis that I have for 40k, Warzone, what have you. However, the paint scheme for them is that of the Judges of Mega City One. They, too, will look awesome once I am finished with them.

WH:40k: Even though I haven't played it in years, I promised myself that I would start painting my entire IG army. That's a tall order, however, to make it more of a pain in the ass, I'm doing COBRA. Cadians are great looking troopers. I've also got Serpentor, Cobra Commander, Destro, Zartan, Torch, Ripper, Buzzer, Nightviper, Crimson Guardsmen, Pythona, and Zandar. All of my tanks are painted in the CAT style or the HISS style. And, when its all done, I even have the Cobra labels to put on the vehicles. Yet another pain in the ass thing to do for a game I'll probably never play again.

More
23 Nov 2009 17:04 #47740 by Shellhead
I'm finished painting my Fury of Dracula figures. If only I could figure out how to take a decent picture with my phone. I also made some progress on Space Hulk yesterday. I washed the Genestealer carapaces in black and painted lots of blood red tongues. The tongues aren't perfect after one coat, there is some midnight blue base coat showing through, but I actually like that look, it seems more animalistic to have tongues that aren't uniformly one color. Maybe I will just leave the tongues as is. If I have time tonight, I'm going to be painting Genestealer claws.

More
24 Nov 2009 10:50 #47811 by robartin
Michael Barnes wrote:

Wow, I hope those TALISMAN figs are as beautiful as the work you did on QUEST FOR THE DRAGONLORDS. I mean, the red eyes of that white dragon were truly magnicificent. And the colors you used to paint the individual army piece just made them come alive.

You'll be so pleased to know that I have moved beyond spray painting my minis solid colors.

The Vallejo paints are great, if only for the eyedropper bottles. It makes so much more sense to use 1 drop of paint for a mini rather than drying out an entire pot. Those GW paints never sealed right when you closed them and always ended up all dried up. I hated that.

Anyhow, I will have to give someone in my Talisman set red eyes in honor of that masterful Dragonlord miniature that I painted back in the days of yore.

More
24 Nov 2009 14:58 #47850 by vandemonium
Sweet baby Zeus I just finished my Space Hulk figures this weekend. I sort of got to a "good enough" point (which is an admittedly low standard) - Overall they are OK - I won't be winning any awards for "best first time paint job by someone too lazy to do it properly" awards or anything, but they are close enough for rock 'n roll for me.

More
24 Nov 2009 16:22 #47857 by Brewmiester
Working on some Dark Elves for a local Blood Bowl League starting up next week.

More
19 Apr 2010 00:52 #60187 by Amontillado
I'm *trying* (which means procrastinating) to paint all my Chaos terminators and Genestealers for a 1st ed of Space Hulk I picked up last year off Craigslist. I'm not sure if I like how they're turning out. These are older, metal termies and there's a lot of detail to paint.

More
20 Apr 2010 12:50 #60338 by Dr. Mabuse
Pnumekin wrote:

I'm *trying* (which means procrastinating) to paint all my Chaos terminators and Genestealers for a 1st ed of Space Hulk I picked up last year off Craigslist. I'm not sure if I like how they're turning out. These are older, metal termies and there's a lot of detail to paint.

I finally bought some new brushes after the last set gave out, so I'm back at it with my 3rd ed. SH.

To be honest I'm not having fun. This has been kinda tedious and frustrating. I knew going in that this would be the only set of minis I would paint but FUUUUCK I want this to be over.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to artistic endeavors and looking at the Termie pics in the manual or online have not helped. I want to achieve that " Golden Demon" level of painting but I know that my desire to hone this skill is pretty low.

Can you say catch-22?

Anyhow I just finished highlighting the armour and I'll be moving on to the small areas next.

I'm not going to be happy with the final results but I'll be relived once the process is over.

More
20 Apr 2010 12:55 - 20 Apr 2010 12:56 #60341 by Mr. White
I'm also painting a set of SH 3rd. This is for a friend serving in Iraq.

Not to brag, but this is taking me no time at all and the minis look great. I'll try to take some pics this week and share, but basically I've primed them their primary color, then painting one or two trim colors and washing the model with badab black wash. doing the genestealers first, and for the amount of time I'm putting into them I'm _very_ pleased. I'll probably be done with all the 'stealers in only 2-3 nights work. Looking at the terminators, I'm guessing a week. But I haven't hit those yet, but will provide my shortcuts when I do.
Last edit: 20 Apr 2010 12:56 by Mr. White.

More
20 Apr 2010 12:58 #60342 by Dr. Mabuse
Please do Jack, I think the shorter this process for me the better, especially if the results are fairly decent.

More
20 Apr 2010 13:43 #60353 by Mr. White
Let me see if I can put something together tonight.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.365 seconds