October 09, 2023
2452 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

What Minis Are You Painting?

More
22 Nov 2010 20:22 #80053 by ubarose
Got inspired to paint this weekend. Or maybe I was just procrastinating about getting stuff ready for the holidays. Anyway, we finally finished our Tales of the Arabian Nights minis, which we had started back in January. We had gotten four done, and then lost the muse. We also painted about half of our Castle Ravenloft minis. Maybe pictures soon. Or maybe later. I really have to clean and pack and do other boring stuff that sucks now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2010 20:34 #80055 by moofrank
I got priming and prep done on my Incursion set. I did finish the doors, objective markers, and consoles.

Used a new technique: alcohol ink metals. I picked up a set at Joanne's. These are AWESOME. The stuff brushes on really thin, and the flakes are vivid and practically invisible. The resins look almost like metal objects.

I also pinned the minis properly with a pin vise and superglue. This is so much less trouble than the epoxy I have been using. Looks like it would go well with the Napoleon plastics as well.

I put the rest of the Incursion minis in a box for a bit awaiting Earth Reborn. If there is a demand, I can probably work out a speed painting tutorial for them. Given that they are primed, I bet they can be knocked out in an evening.

More
23 Nov 2010 11:08 #80094 by ubarose
Well, I didn't get the cleaning or the packing done. I'm such a slacker, although I did get a load of laundry done, so we will have something to pack. Packing for a trip is kind of a pain because I don't believe in owning more clothes than we really need for weekly wear. The Spawn wears a uniform and I have to wear boring work clothes to my job, so neither of us owns a lot of casual clothes. To pack for a five day trip means all the casual clothes need to be clean. I'm usually doing laundry right up until the last minute so I can put what was worn the evening before into the suitcases.

Anyway, as I said, I was a slacker and spent the evening painting again. Painting gives me a feeling of serenity which is rare in the hectic, noisy, business of every day life. Nothing but music and total focus on the tiny thing right in front of me. I should paint more. It would probably make me a better person to be around.

THe Spawn and I put the finishing touches on the Tales of the Arabian Nights minis, put felt on their bottoms, and carefully packed them into their box. It's a really tight fit in that Tales box with the addition of 8 figures. We also put the finishing touches on couple of the Castle Ravenloft figures. I taught the Spawn how to do a wash. Her figures turned out quite well. She likes to paint the heroes. She base coated another one of the heroes before bedtime. I started and finished two more of the villians - the Howling Hag, and the little muppet looking dude. I think we just have Strahd, and the big monsters left to do. And also the heroes that the Spawn has claimed, but until she finishes them we are just using some pre-painted other D&D minis we already have.

More
23 Nov 2010 11:14 #80095 by Mr. White
Painting up the standard orc and human team that comes in the BloodBowl core box. After a several year hiatus, I'm running a league again and couldn't be more excited to game.

I'll post pictures of the teams for sure.

More
23 Nov 2010 11:28 #80096 by Shellhead
Dr_Mabuse wrote:

I finally bought some new brushes after the last set gave out, so I'm back at it with my 3rd ed. SH.

To be honest I'm not having fun. This has been kinda tedious and frustrating. I knew going in that this would be the only set of minis I would paint but FUUUUCK I want this to be over.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to artistic endeavors and looking at the Termie pics in the manual or online have not helped. I want to achieve that " Golden Demon" level of painting but I know that my desire to hone this skill is pretty low.

Can you say catch-22?

Anyhow I just finished highlighting the armour and I'll be moving on to the small areas next.

I'm not going to be happy with the final results but I'll be relived once the process is over.

Same here on almost every point. I've been putting off working on my Space Hulk figures, in part, because I know that I won't be satisfied with the finished results. I don't have any serious artistic ability, so I have to work very slowly to compensate.

Unfortunately, I have waited too long. I told myself that I wouldn't play Space Hulk until I finished painting, but of course I have since played about 20 games. The last time I played, my opponent accidentally broke off Sergeant Lorenzo's helmet hood ornament, because he kept picking up Lorenzo by that part. If my figures had all been painted and sealed, maybe that wouldn't have happened.

I do have some time off coming up, so I want to at least make some more progress. But it's been over a year since I bought my paint, so I may need to buy fresh paint. I've heard that Games Workshop paint doesn't have a great shelf life.

More
23 Nov 2010 11:47 #80098 by NeonPeon
Shellhead wrote:

Same here on almost every point. I've been putting off working on my Space Hulk figures, in part, because I know that I won't be satisfied with the finished results. I don't have any serious artistic ability, so I have to work very slowly to compensate.

Unfortunately, I have waited too long. I told myself that I wouldn't play Space Hulk until I finished painting, but of course I have since played about 20 games. The last time I played, my opponent accidentally broke off Sergeant Lorenzo's helmet hood ornament, because he kept picking up Lorenzo by that part. If my figures had all been painted and sealed, maybe that wouldn't have happened.

I do have some time off coming up, so I want to at least make some more progress. But it's been over a year since I bought my paint, so I may need to buy fresh paint. I've heard that Games Workshop paint doesn't have a great shelf life.

I've never gotten around to painting my Space Hulk dudes either, for similar reasons. Soon I'm going to "just do it" and not worry so much about the results. I think I bought into the idea that these figures are god's gift to gaming and should be painted as such...I need to just do it and be content with less than perfection, which will still be AWESOME.

I wouldn't worry about old GW paint - about 95% of all my paints are from a big GW set I bought at least 5 years ago, and they're all fine. Some that hadn't been touched for ages needed water and a good stirring, but that's to be expected.

More
23 Nov 2010 12:07 #80104 by Rliyen
Painting my IG and Eldar armies has been on my 101-1001 to do list.... I seriously need to dedicate some time to this this coming holiday weekend.

More
23 Nov 2010 16:45 #80149 by The Expanding Man
I've had a real burst of painting in the last couple of months.

I knocked off my Battlelore, Descent and Castle Ravenloft minis.

I'm now working on the end of my Malifaux and Warmachine minis.

More
24 Nov 2010 06:32 #80189 by Estragon
I am painting my very first few dozens of minis -- bought a used (unpainted, assembled) LoTR Mines of Moria set for equivalent of 20$. Good terrain at the very least.

GW paints do suck. The problem seems to be that you must be really meticulous in closing them -- chunks have already formed in my Codex Grey (which is not so good a tone anyway, so it's OK). Vallejo on the other hand... just amazing. Also, the 2x price difference for 1 ml:o

I am considering buying this bunch of Rackham paints:http://www.ludikbazar.com/product_info.php?products_id=35488 Anybody have experience with them? The reviews online are not so good, but at least this is quite cheap.

More
24 Nov 2010 08:53 #80194 by raviv
I just finished painting a set of miniatures to replace the heroes' cardboard stands in Horus Heresy.
Here they are:
www.boardgamegeek.com/image/823668/horus-heresy
www.boardgamegeek.com/image/857758/horus-heresy

More
02 Jan 2011 15:27 - 02 Jan 2011 20:45 #83359 by ubarose
We spent some time this vacation painting Invasion from Outer Space. I got stuck with painting all the Martins. I usually get stuck painting the dudes that are a lot of, that are all basically alike, because I can paint faster. Finished all the touch up to day (I also have a steadier hand for the finer details).

Now I just have to get the damn helmets glued on. The dude at the hobby shop recommended "window" glue, which I guess is used to glue clear plastic windows to things like airplane models. The glue is really thin and a huge pain in the ass.
Last edit: 02 Jan 2011 20:45 by ubarose.

More
02 Jan 2011 17:39 #83361 by moofrank
The trick to really thin glues is a tiny 5cc diabetic syringe. Just touch a drop to the bottom rim of the helmet and capillary action will pretty much drag the glue around the rim.

One thing I wish I could work out is a good way to buy syringes without hunting down a diabetic. Useful things. We had a cat who needed insulin, bu our supply is running low. A lot of the thin glues are solvent based and destroy the plastic bits in no time flat.

More
02 Jan 2011 20:10 #83367 by SusanR
Frank - you might be able to order syringes from pet/livestock supply places like Omaha Vaccine Company From a quick glance, it looks like just a few states need a prescription. Also - check local feed and livestock supply stores. I know they used to sell them in Atlanta but that was many years ago (when I lived there and had a horse).

More
02 Jan 2011 20:44 - 02 Jan 2011 20:46 #83368 by ubarose
I figured out one of my problems with getting the helmets to stay on. The helmets don't seat correctly in one of the sculpts. There's a tiny bit that is preventing the helmet from making full contact all the way around. So now I have to very carefully cut and scrape that tiny bit away. Wish me luck.
Last edit: 02 Jan 2011 20:46 by ubarose.

More
03 Jan 2011 11:28 #83406 by moofrank
Thanks Susan: Some Googling gave me this:
www.temple.edu/lawschool/phrhcs/otc.htm

Turns out Georgia is fairly easy to get them as long as you can convince a pharmacist that you have a non-illegal use.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.390 seconds