October 09, 2023
2421 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2630 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

What Minis Are You Painting?

More
12 Oct 2017 10:32 #255563 by Gary Sax
God damn that looks good. Love the guy on the right. Super jealous of you guys who are good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2017 11:11 - 12 Oct 2017 11:12 #255571 by Mr. White

Gary Sax wrote: God damn that looks good. Love the guy on the right. Super jealous of you guys who are good.

Thanks, but what I'm doing isn't difficult and I think anyone with a small bit of patience can pull of the same result. It's simply base color, wash, highlight using that same base color. Very simple.

I feel like my minis have pop more due to color selection than painting technique.
Last edit: 12 Oct 2017 11:12 by Mr. White.

More
12 Oct 2017 17:28 #255608 by san il defanso
I finally completed my Silver Tower set. Here's the album of every figure.

Although they all look better on the table than they do way up close like this, I'm mostly really happy with them. The only ones that kind of disappointed me were the Grot Scuttlings, which have a sort of misshapen appearance to them. No matter, I can live with this. Really excited to have it all done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, Sevej, barrowdown

More
12 Oct 2017 17:50 #255609 by Michael Barnes
Those look great! Don't sweat the Grots...the models are TERRIBLE. The stupid spider web on them is impossible to do cleanly. I like those monsters, but hate the figures.

Jeff White has become my painting arch enemy. The cleanness of his miniatures and the great color depth DISGUSTS me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, san il defanso

More
12 Oct 2017 18:01 - 12 Oct 2017 18:05 #255610 by Mr. White
Kickass bases, Nate! I love that blue, but at this point I'm pot committed to the grey and grass I've been using.

Ogroid wears pants?!?

I need to get back in and finish Silver Tower. You're right about the Grots. Those fellas and the tzaangors stalled out my earlier attempts.
Last edit: 12 Oct 2017 18:05 by Mr. White.

More
12 Oct 2017 18:14 #255611 by Mr. White

Michael Barnes wrote: Jeff White has become my painting arch enemy. The cleanness of his miniatures and the great color depth DISGUSTS me.

oh man, if you saw the brushes I'm using...

More
12 Oct 2017 18:19 #255612 by san il defanso

Mr. White wrote: Kickass bases, Nate! I love that blue, but at this point I'm pot committed to the grey and grass I've been using.

Those were inspired by Mr. Michael Barnes. He suggested the Astrogranite, Teclis Blue, and Nuln Oil with the Lothern Blue drybrush. My contribution was to color code the rims of the bases: gold for heroes, silver for monsters, and black for familiars.

More
12 Oct 2017 18:54 #255615 by Michael Barnes
I have seen the brushes you are using Jeff White. You showed them to us. YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG. You need to go buy some $25 Artificer brushes IMMEDIATELY. Plus, highlighting with the same color as the base is SINFUL. You should be highlighting at least two colors up from the base IN ADDITION to the wash. Clearly there is room for improvement here.

Tzaangors are a very different situation than the Grots. The Grots are shitty figures with crap detail and terrible sculpting. The Tzaangors are AWESEOME figures. It's just that they are quite difficult to paint well. All. That. Filigree. I've got like all of the Silver Tower Tzaangors in various states of completion because I was experimenting with them. And then I have two boxes of them waiting for me to develop the technique to make them not look awful. I've also got two boxes of Skyfires/Enlightened and a Shaman on Disc of Tzeentch, the second I bought because I completely fucked up the first one.

Think I might flex back to Death Guard this week...lots of new models, all primed Death Guard Green and waiting...they are easy to get to the wash stage (mainly because you can Agrax Earthshade the whole damn thing) but the highlighting is time consuming. I have two Plagueburst Crawlers on the way, really looking forward to hitting those.

I've gone back to hoodlum basing...wood glue, rocks, sand, done.

More
12 Oct 2017 20:11 #255622 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
Anyone selling plastic rocks? Yep, I'm asking that. PLASTIC ROCK. How stupid is that.... still...

More
12 Oct 2017 20:12 #255623 by Mr. White

Michael Barnes wrote: I've gone back to hoodlum basing...wood glue, rocks, sand, done.

Yep. It's worked for me for almost 30yrs now.

More
15 Oct 2017 05:11 #255734 by Sevej

Another 11 of the boyz!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, Da Bid Dabid, hotseatgames, birdman37, barrowdown

More
15 Oct 2017 19:46 #255752 by metalface13

Michael Barnes wrote: I have seen the brushes you are using Jeff White. You showed them to us. YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG. You need to go buy some $25 Artificer brushes IMMEDIATELY. Plus, highlighting with the same color as the base is SINFUL. You should be highlighting at least two colors up from the base IN ADDITION to the wash. Clearly there is room for improvement here.

Tzaangors are a very different situation than the Grots. The Grots are shitty figures with crap detail and terrible sculpting. The Tzaangors are AWESEOME figures. It's just that they are quite difficult to paint well. All. That. Filigree. I've got like all of the Silver Tower Tzaangors in various states of completion because I was experimenting with them. And then I have two boxes of them waiting for me to develop the technique to make them not look awful. I've also got two boxes of Skyfires/Enlightened and a Shaman on Disc of Tzeentch, the second I bought because I completely fucked up the first one.

Think I might flex back to Death Guard this week...lots of new models, all primed Death Guard Green and waiting...they are easy to get to the wash stage (mainly because you can Agrax Earthshade the whole damn thing) but the highlighting is time consuming. I have two Plagueburst Crawlers on the way, really looking forward to hitting those.

I really don't understand Jeff's resistance to new brushes, but the fact that he can get the results that he does is mind-blowing.

More
15 Oct 2017 21:04 - 15 Oct 2017 21:07 #255755 by Sevej
Just to show you guys how *rough* my painting is.

There's a local group who believe everything should be NMM with smooth transition using 3 dozens of paint layers, drying them in between using hair dryer. If I'm going to have 50 of these guys (at the very least!), I ain't hair dryer-ing them.

Dammit, I missed that guy's nails...
Last edit: 15 Oct 2017 21:07 by Sevej.
The following user(s) said Thank You: barrowdown, Vlad

More
16 Oct 2017 07:23 - 16 Oct 2017 07:54 #255764 by Mr. White

metalface13 wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: I have seen the brushes you are using Jeff White. You showed them to us. YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG. You need to go buy some $25 Artificer brushes IMMEDIATELY. Plus, highlighting with the same color as the base is SINFUL. You should be highlighting at least two colors up from the base IN ADDITION to the wash. Clearly there is room for improvement here.

I really don't understand Jeff's resistance to new brushes, but the fact that he can get the results that he does is mind-blowing.

Think of me as that eccentric musician who only uses their first instrument...or the author who only composes on their archaic typewriter.

Or...perhaps I sell a little bit of my soul to the golden daemon through these ancient brushes...
Last edit: 16 Oct 2017 07:54 by Mr. White.

More
17 Oct 2017 09:36 #255822 by Mr. White
I painted the ogroid from Silver Tower last night and really struggled. This model is exposing the flaw in my technique. All those damn rune scars.

I may repaint it...or leave it as is so I can move on, but banish the model from anything besides ST play...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.428 seconds