October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

Fury of Dracula

More
30 Oct 2009 13:56 #45790 by ubarose
Fury of Dracula was created by ubarose
This thread is for pics of your painted minis, and any other info on how you pimped out your copy of Fury of Dracula.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2009 14:22 #45793 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Fury of Dracula
When I got Fury of Dracula, I immediately added a red velvet draw bag for Dracula's tiles. BGG has some nice full color player aids in there file section, which I printed out and rubber cemented onto red card stock, which stiffens them and provides a nice red border.

Once, when playing with KingPut and family, the hunters got into a big old argument about where Dracula could possibly be. I pulled out some pale colored glass blobs, and handed them to KingPut so he could illustrate his reasoning. This significantly cut down on the shouting, pointing, rolled eyes, mispronounced location names, as well my dear family's desire to beat each other about the head with sticks. So I keep a handful of those glass blobs in with the game. Some gamers have commented that this aid to memory and communication is a cheat, but I say, "Bite me." It makes the game more accessible to newbies, and decreases bossiness. Plus, if I'm Dracula, I don't give a damn. If the hunters want to believe that they can hunt me down using a bunch of glass blobs, let them cling to their delusions.

Finally I painted the minis.
Attachments:

More
30 Oct 2009 14:40 #45795 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re:Fury of Dracula
ubarose wrote:

This significantly cut down on the shouting, pointing, rolled eyes, mispronounced location names, as well my dear family's desire to beat each other about the head with sticks.

And this enhanced your enjoyment how?

Sag.

More
30 Oct 2009 14:51 #45796 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Re:Fury of Dracula
Sagrilarus wrote:

ubarose wrote:

This significantly cut down on the shouting, pointing, rolled eyes, mispronounced location names, as well my dear family's desire to beat each other about the head with sticks.

And this enhanced your enjoyment how?
Sag.

I wouldn't say it reduced our family's desire to beat each other about the head with sticks, the glass beads just reduced the down time to the head beating.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
30 Oct 2009 15:03 #45797 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Fury of Dracula
Uba, those figures look nice.

I especially like the way that each figure got a color-coordinated base. My figures are more than half done, but I couldn't decide what to do with the bases so far. I didn't like the look of the FoD figs I've seen at BGG where they based them with fake grass. But I don't want to just leave the bases gray or paint them black.

After a few failed attempts that I quickly scrubbed away, I decided that trying to paint the facial features was a bad idea, because these figures seem to have grotesquely exaggerated faces. So instead, I went with lightly dry-brushing the faces in flesh tones (except for Drac, who is bone white), and I will eventually give them a slight ink wash, leaving shadowy eye sockets and traces of the other features.

One particular problem that I have is Godalming's monocle. I tried painting it a light silver, but his whole face looks so weird that I've decided it might be a bad sculpt. So I'm going to try to strip the face paint off and then maybe re-carve his features slightly with an exacto knife. I don't want to get rid of the monocle, just clean it up so it's more distinct from the face.

More
30 Oct 2009 15:24 #45798 by ubarose
Shellhead wrote:

I especially like the way that each figure got a color-coordinated base. My figures are more than half done, but I couldn't decide what to do with the bases so far. I didn't like the look of the FoD figs I've seen at BGG where they based them with fake grass. But I don't want to just leave the bases gray or paint them black.

I painted the bases black, and then dry brushed a few different shades of brown on them that matched the colors of the board. Then I just painted the edge of the bases the primary color of the character. It makes it a little bit easier for the people I tend to play with to identify their character. "I'm the red guy," is easier than, "I'm the guy with the thing in his hand."

As I said in another thread, I just washed the faces with a sepia wash. The faces on these figs are a little fubar, Godalming's monocle particularly so. Painting facial details just makes it more obvious. I probably should have cut down the strange monocle "string thing, as it kind of looks like he has a growth on his face fro the other side, but I can't be bothered with that level of perfectionism.

More
30 Oct 2009 15:32 - 08 Nov 2009 14:01 #45800 by ubarose
Here's a down shot of the top of the bases so you can see what I am talking about
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Nov 2009 14:01 by ubarose.

More
30 Oct 2009 15:39 #45801 by NeonPeon
Replied by NeonPeon on topic Re:Fury of Dracula
Looks nice Uba. Do the color schemes match the character portraits?

More
30 Oct 2009 15:45 - 30 Oct 2009 16:19 #45803 by Shellhead
ubarose wrote:

I painted the bases black, and then dry brushed a few different shades of brown on them that matched the colors of the board. Then I just painted the edge of the bases the primary color of the character. It makes it a little bit easier for the people I tend to play with to identify their character. "I'm the red guy," is easier than, "I'm the guy with the thing in his hand."

As I said in another thread, I just washed the faces with a sepia wash. The faces on these figs are a little fubar, Godalming's monocle particularly so. Painting facial details just makes it more obvious. I probably should have cut down the strange monocle "string thing, as it kind of looks like he has a growth on his face fro the other side, but I can't be bothered with that level of perfectionism.

Yeah, the variable brown color looks really good in those top down pictures, like actual soil underfoot. I was thinking of repainting just the edge of the monocle string in black (with a toothpick instead of a brush), but yeah, it's so big that it looks like a growth on the face. So I'm going to remove it with the exacto knife. Then I'm going to strip the paint on the face and see if there is anything else weird around the monocle that I can trim.
Last edit: 30 Oct 2009 16:19 by Shellhead.

More
30 Oct 2009 15:50 #45805 by Shellhead
NeonPeon wrote:

They're close. Mina's dress is more of a lavendar or light mauve color in her character portrait, and Dr. Seward is wearing more drab tones of green in his portrait. And nobody knows what color pants any of the dudes are wearing, because those portraits don't really show that.

More
30 Oct 2009 16:17 #45806 by ubarose
NeonPeon wrote:

Sort of. The portraits are so dark as too be nearly black, so what color people are wearing is open to interpretation. I wanted the figures to be significantly distinct from one another so as to be easy to identify on the board, so I took some liberties.

More
30 Oct 2009 16:19 #45808 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re:Fury of Dracula
They are very smexy.

More
30 Oct 2009 16:25 #45810 by ubarose
Shellhead wrote:

Mina's dress is more of a lavendar or light mauve color in her character portrait.

Interesting. In my copy Mina looks like she's wearing either very dark green or possibly navy blue. Probably depends upon the print run.

More
30 Oct 2009 16:52 - 30 Oct 2009 16:53 #45811 by Shellhead
The Mina portrait in my set looks like this:

Or possibly a darker violet color. As you said, the artwork is very dark.
Last edit: 30 Oct 2009 16:53 by Shellhead.

More
30 Oct 2009 17:32 #45813 by ubarose
The purple bits are more blue on my card, and the green is greener. Probably more blue ink in my copy than yours.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds