October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

RuneWars WarRune Variant. (alpha)

More
28 Sep 2010 05:21 - 28 Sep 2010 07:41 #75230 by Mr Skeletor
This is an untested work in progress. Constructive feedback welcome.
If someone with a little photoshop skill wants to make the cards, I’ll give you a big kiss.

This variant give the runes spell like powers, usable by those who capture them. It may make the game run longer.

COMPONENTS
Runepower cards(need to be made)
These cards represent the great powers that the dragon runes posses, and are tied in with the runes you capture. Gaining these will grant you powerful advantages.

Power tokens (use spare false rune tokens, or any counters you have lying around)
These tokens are used to activate some Runepowers you possess.

SET-UP

False runes are used in this variant, as per standard rules.
The first player to control six areas containing Dragon Runes wins the game. If no one has acquired six by the end of the eighth year, the game ends and the player who controls the most dragon rune tokens wins. Ties are broken as normal.
Players start with no runes of any kind – neither real nor false.
Shuffle the Runepower cards and place them and the tokens to the side of the board. Players begin with neither.

NEW RULES

Gaining Dragon Runes
Whenever you gain control of a Dragon Rune, you gain a new Runepower card as well:
1. If the Dragon Rune was uncontrolled previously, draw a Runepower card from the deck.
2. If you took the Dragon Rune off another player, draw a random Runepower card from that players hand.
You can never have more Runepower cards than you have Dragon Runes. If you ever find that you do, randomly discard Runepower cards until this is no longer the case.

Using Runepower Cards
To use a Runepower card, you must meet the following two casting conditions.

First you must use the rune at the right time. The Runepower card text will tell you when you can use it. There are two possible options:
On Activation: Whenever you are given the option to move rune tokens (such as with the Fortify Order (#8)) instead of moving Rune tokens you may execute an ‘On Activation’ spell on one of your Runepower cards.
Anytime: Follow the instructions on the card to see when the Runepower can be used. Normally an ‘anytime’ spell forces you to spend a Power Token to use them.

Second, you must nominate the area where the spell will be cast from – the powerful spells effects can be seen by all in the realm. The area you nominate must contain a Dragon Rune which you control that is not in your home realm (the spells are far too dangerous to risk activating near your home.) If the Dragon Rune is currently hidden, reveal it by turning it face up. Once a Dragon Rune is face up it remains that way unless it is moved, in which case it may be turned face down and hidden again.
If you are not willing to reveal a Dragon Rune, or don’t have any areas that qualify, you cannot use your Runepower.

Dragon Thrones

Dragon thrones are not runes for any purpose aside from gaining victory. They do not grant you Runepower cards, and you cannot activate Runepowers from their location.

CARDS

Dragon Rune of Death
On Activation: Gain a Power Token.
Anytime: As soon as a hero is killed, spend a Power Token to remove all wounds from that hero and leave him in his current space. He does not lose any reward cards.

Dragon Rune of Mithrilin
Anytime: When executing a Rally Support Order (#6) spend a Power Token to gain two different benefits per city he controls, instead of only one.

Prismatic Dragon Rune
On Activation: Choose a non-home realm hex. Make two Dragon Attacks on that hex.

Dragon Rune of Carnovax
Anytime: During combat spend a Power Token to ignore all wounds that would be inflicted on your troops during the next initiative phase.

Dragon Rune of Phrynelyx
On Activation: Activate any hex that has no more than one enemy unit on it. You may move any of your units that are in one hex into the activated hex. If the target hex had a enemy unit on it remove that unit and two of your teleporting units from the board.

Miasmic Dragon Rune
Anytime: Before a combat begins spend a Power Token to inflict wounds to the side of your choice equal to the number of neutral units that begin the game in the hex the battle is to be fought in.

Dragon Rune of Ghox
Anytime: Before determining the winner of a battle spend a power token to add +6 to the side of your choice.

Dragon Rune of Margath
On Activation: Add a Dragon to the board. If the hex contains units, the Dragon becomes a neutral unit for that army.

Dragon Rune of Abarax
On Activation: Remove a unit of your choice from the board.

Skeletal Dragon Rune
On Activation: Return an Order Card that has been played on the table to it’s owners hand. If they haven’t executed it yet it returns to their hand after they have.

Dragon Heart Rune
On Activation: Remove an Activation Token from the board.

Dragon Rune of Baraxis
Anytime: At the start of combat spend a Power Token to ignore all flags that would be inflicted on your troops during this combat.

Dragon Rune of Eregax
On Activation: Inflict a wound on the hero of your choice.

Dragon Rune of Droxor
Anytime: During combat spend a Power Token to have all your units attack twice in the next initiative phase.

Dragon Rune of Life
Anytime: At the start of combat Spend a Power token to have any of your units that are killed in this combat be treated as if they were routed instead. Units that were already routed are still killed.

Dragon Rune of Ambush
Anytime: At the start of combat spend a Power Token. During the combat in cases where there is a tie for initiative your units will attack first (rather than having both sides attack simultaneously.)

Dragon Rune of Fromax
On Activation: Remove 2 units of your choice from the board. The units may only have 1 life point each.

Dragon Rune of Doom
On Activation: Choose any empty hexes that you like. Repopulate those hexes with the neutral monsters that were in them at the start of the game.

Dragon Rune of Essence Draining
On Activation: Take an Influence Token from each other player.

Dragon Shard Rune
On Activation: Choose an opponent. Look at his hand of Tactics cards and take the one that you want, returning the others.
Last edit: 28 Sep 2010 07:41 by Mr Skeletor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2010 06:26 #75233 by mads b.
This is a great idea. I like that moving the runes will now make much more sense as an option, and also the flavour part of why you cannot activate a rune in your homelands. Furthermore that means that you can either use runes for effect or you can turtle with them.

But what about the powers - do you have any ideas as to what they should be?

More
28 Sep 2010 07:05 - 28 Sep 2010 07:42 #75234 by Mr Skeletor
Typing them up now.

EDIT: All up. Made all this shit up today so I have no idea how fucked the balance is or where the holes may be.
Hope it makes sense.
Last edit: 28 Sep 2010 07:42 by Mr Skeletor.

More
28 Sep 2010 10:13 #75254 by MattFantastic
If a game is so good out of the box, why would you make variants for it?

But seriously, this is making me want to play it even more. It sounds super awesome and balance is for suckers.

More
28 Sep 2010 14:12 #75272 by mads b.
I still like the idea and I think there's lots of good stuff in the cards. I've noted some comments below, but basically I think they are a bit too powerful and game changing. Being able to, for instance, just kill of any unit is a major thing and I think some of them need to be limited. Especially because it seems like you can use the cards several times.

One other small thing is that I don't quite see if you need to reveal a rune when using its "anytime" ability.

Anyways, here's lots of comments and suggestions. Feel free to take it or leave it.

Dragon Rune of Death
Anytime: As soon as a hero is killed, spend a Power Token to remove all wounds from that hero and leave him in his current space. He does not lose any reward cards.

Having this rune card will effectively make your heroes a non-target. So while I think the ability is cool, getting to use it at anytime (if you have a power token) is just too damn powerful.

Dragon Rune of Mithrilin
Anytime: When executing a Rally Support Order (#6) spend a Power Token to gain two different benefits per city he controls, instead of only one.

This is very cool and could potentially make the cities much more interesting. But how about if activating it meant that you placed a power token on a city and then next time you use a rally support order, you get an extra thing from that specific city?

Prismatic Dragon Rune
On Activation: Choose a non-home realm hex. Make two Dragon Attacks on that hex.

This is also quite powerful, but I like that it's "on activation" meaning that you can't just throw it people anytime you want. But don't the dragon require a sacrifice? Something about sacrificing a unit in the area that holds the rune, for instance?

Dragon Rune of Phrynelyx
On Activation: Activate any hex that has no more than one enemy unit on it. You may move any of your units that are in one hex into the activated hex. If the target hex had a enemy unit on it remove that unit and two of your teleporting units from the board.

This could be fun. But I would like if it entailed a risk for the guy teleporting. Maybe you'd have to draw cards and total all the hits or something.

Dragon Rune of Ghox
Anytime: Before determining the winner of a battle spend a power token to add +6 to the side of your choice.

Maybe +6 is a bit too much. And why not tie it to the runes specifically? Something in the line of: Anytime: Before determining the winner of a battle spend a power token and reveal a rune to add +4/+6/+135 to the sice of your choice.

Dragon Rune of Abarax

I think this should be limited either by distance (adjacent to the area the activated rune is in for instance) or by unit type. Losing one of your maybe only two hex-units this way would suck big time.

Dragon Heart Rune

This is, I think, a cool and simple ability. It's also a potential game changer, but then again I'm pretty sure some tactic cards work the same way.

Dragon Rune of Droxor
Anytime: During combat spend a Power Token to have all your units attack twice in the next initiative phase.

I'm thinking that maybe this should be limited to a low tier unit.

Dragon Rune of Fromax
On Activation: Remove 2 units of your choice from the board. The units may only have 1 life point each.

I like that this has several uses. Can be used to remove neutrals or a small obstacle, for instance.

One last thing (if anybody is still with me). I generally feel that casting this powerful magic should be hazardous or have consequences. I know that revealing your runes (sounds dirty somehow) can be a big thing, but something potentially more dire would make sense, I think.

More
28 Sep 2010 14:19 - 28 Sep 2010 14:21 #75274 by Columbob
Were those rune names taken from Runebound? I seem to remember a few of those names (haven't played Runebound in ages and sold off my games last year anyways). Still, great idea that adds to the ties between the games and to the fluff and background.

I don't remember if the Shards of Timorran in Battlemist could give you powers like that.
Last edit: 28 Sep 2010 14:21 by Columbob.

More
28 Sep 2010 17:53 #75295 by kookoobah
Just read the rules of Battlemist, and yes it did have "StarPower" which was mana to be used for spells that the Shards of Timorran granted.

Song of Fear (1)
Kill two routed units in a battle you are in.

Song of Fire (1)
Destroy any two resources from your opponents stockpile.

Blah blah blah. It's on BBG Files if you feel like looking at it.

Some of the more powerful ones included summoning units into your home realm (4), countering a spell, giving all units +3 in combat on a d10.

Battlemist also had dwarves and orcs, so maybe there really is hope for new races and spells for runes in the expansion. I hope they announce it next month. It's been a year!

More
28 Sep 2010 20:26 #75304 by Mr Skeletor
mads b. wrote:

I still like the idea and I think there's lots of good stuff in the cards. I've noted some comments below, but basically I think they are a bit too powerful and game changing. Being able to, for instance, just kill of any unit is a major thing and I think some of them need to be limited. Especially because it seems like you can use the cards several times.

I have no idea how they play, but my objective was to make them powerful game changers. These are after all the most powerful of Runes (red cards in Runebound), and your army is fighting to aquire them. So to have the Rune effects be just a minor benifit is both anti-climatic and unthematic.

So to try and offset their power I did 2 things:

1. Using them makes the player a target. If you use them you not only have to reveal where one of your runes are hidden but ALSO can't defend runes in your home turf but have to leave them out in the middle of the board. So it using them means you may lose them. On the other hand a player may choose to 'play defensive' by hiding his runes in his more easily defentable home realm and not using them. So he forgoes the power but and plays a more low key defensive game.

2. Limit their use. Remember you can only use a rune when you get the option to 'move runes', which from memory isn't that often. There is the 8 card, and a couple of cards in the tactics deck. And I think that's it, but I need to run through all the cards in the game and check. Anyway in my mind a player would only trigger around 4 runepowers at the most in a 8 season game at the most - which isn't much. If he is doing more it more than that he is probably playing his 8 card too heavily at the expense of doing something else. Plus the 8 card is a pain as it blocks the bonuses of other cards unlessits winter. So relying too much on runepowers will probably use you the game.
Remember this inclused 'anytime' powers - all of those need a power token to play and power tokens are only gained via rune activation.

Like I said, I'm assuming that the major way to move runes is via the 8 card - if there are other ways im forgetting about then I need top change it. But assuming that I'm right and you willo only cast 3-5 spells per 4 hour game, then the spells should be powerful and memorable.

One other small thing is that I don't quite see if you need to reveal a rune when using its "anytime" ability.

Yes you do.
Again note that all anytime abilities need a power token, and power tokens can only be gotten via activating a rune. So an 'anytime ability' is really just a delayed rune activation (sort of like charging the rune up). I had to use this mechanisim as you can't activate runes during combat.
I may change this and get rid of the power tokens and just make you 'tap' a rune on activation, then untap it later when you use its power. Might make things clearer. It means you wont be able to store up power tokens, but I honestly can't see players being able to store more than one at a time anyway.

Anyways, here's lots of comments and suggestions. Feel free to take it or leave it.

Thanks heaps its very much appreciated as this will need lots of messing around to make it playable.

Dragon Rune of Death

Having this rune card will effectively make your heroes a non-target. So while I think the ability is cool, getting to use it at anytime (if you have a power token) is just too damn powerful.

What if your hero still lost his reward cards?

Dragon Rune of Mithrilin

This is very cool and could potentially make the cities much more interesting. But how about if activating it meant that you placed a power token on a city and then next time you use a rally support order, you get an extra thing from that specific city?

Permanently or just a once off?

Prismatic Dragon Rune

This is also quite powerful, but I like that it's "on activation" meaning that you can't just throw it people anytime you want. But don't the dragon require a sacrifice? Something about sacrificing a unit in the area that holds the rune, for instance?

I think its meant to be magic dragons in a prisim or some shit.
I'm reluctant to bring in 'scarifice' because it's antithematic - I can't think of any rune games where rune use requires sacrifice. Plus it's a dragon rune - you are not beseaching the dragons you are commanding them!
I'm not sure this cards text is 100% clear - you don't gain 2 dragons, you just draw 2 fate cards are resolve them as if a dragon drew them. It's not a proper combat or anything.

Dragon Rune of Phrynelyx

This could be fun. But I would like if it entailed a risk for the guy teleporting. Maybe you'd have to draw cards and total all the hits or something.

Could be an idea, especially if this card is overpowered.

Dragon Rune of Ghox

Maybe +6 is a bit too much. And why not tie it to the runes specifically? Something in the line of: Anytime: Before determining the winner of a battle spend a power token and reveal a rune to add +4/+6/+135 to the sice of your choice.

Suprising - I actually think this is pretty weak as not that many battles (in our games anyway) come down to stregth, normally one side gets wiped out before then. I made iot +6 so it was better than a fort.
I'm not sure I understand your suggestion - are you saying the bonus increases for each rune you reveal?

Dragon Rune of Abarax

I think this should be limited either by distance (adjacent to the area the activated rune is in for instance) or by unit type. Losing one of your maybe only two hex-units this way would suck big time.

Actually I think the other rune that kills 2 smaller units is worse, see below.

Dragon Heart Rune

This is, I think, a cool and simple ability. It's also a potential game changer, but then again I'm pretty sure some tactic cards work the same way.

Cool.

Dragon Rune of Droxor

Actually wouldn't this card be better for low tear units?
If I have 3 archers and a giant I'd rather give my archers 6 attacks than my giant 2.

Dragon Rune of Fromax

I like that this has several uses. Can be used to remove neutrals or a small obstacle, for instance.

I'm actually a bit nervous about this one, as I can see it being used to zap off guys on the back line that are just holding a hex, thus depriving you of the city or resources of that hex. Or maybe even making you no longer hold a rune!

One last thing (if anybody is still with me). I generally feel that casting this powerful magic should be hazardous or have consequences. I know that revealing your runes (sounds dirty somehow) can be a big thing, but something potentially more dire would make sense, I think.

While I normally like the idea of 'hazardous magic', it just doesn't fit the theme. If this were a warhammer game I'd be more in favour of it. But runes have always seemed to be pretty easy to use (even fighters can use them.)
But let me think on it.

After running through this post I think I will ditch the power tokens and switch to a tapping system. Should make everything simpler and cleaner. I'll make changes when I get home tonight.
Thanks again mads, please comment further if you have any other thoughts or ideas.

More
28 Sep 2010 20:30 - 28 Sep 2010 20:32 #75305 by Mr Skeletor
Columbob wrote:

Were those rune names taken from Runebound? I seem to remember a few of those names (haven't played Runebound in ages and sold off my games last year anyways). Still, great idea that adds to the ties between the games and to the fluff and background.

I don't remember if the Shards of Timorran in Battlemist could give you powers like that.

Yes, most of them are from Runebound, thought Runebound doesn't have that many Dragonrunes so I had to make a few up to hit 20 (I still based them off Runebound cards).
I tried to tie them to their effects in runebound to keep continuity, which for me is the most fun part of these kinds of projects. Not all of them are good ties though.

I didn't think of looking at battlemist for ideas. Probably should.
Last edit: 28 Sep 2010 20:32 by Mr Skeletor.

More
29 Sep 2010 03:50 #75330 by mads b.
Comments below.

Like I said, I'm assuming that the major way to move runes is via the 8 card - if there are other ways im forgetting about then I need top change it. But assuming that I'm right and you willo only cast 3-5 spells per 4 hour game, then the spells should be powerful and memorable.

Arent you allowed to dick around with runes every time you gain a rune? I don't know if that would qualify as "moving a rune", but you might want to specify it.

Yes you do.
Again note that all anytime abilities need a power token, and power tokens can only be gotten via activating a rune. So an 'anytime ability' is really just a delayed rune activation (sort of like charging the rune up). I had to use this mechanisim as you can't activate runes during combat.
I may change this and get rid of the power tokens and just make you 'tap' a rune on activation, then untap it later when you use its power. Might make things clearer. It means you wont be able to store up power tokens, but I honestly can't see players being able to store more than one at a time anyway.

I like the idea of tapping. This will also force you to reveal what runes you actually have meaning that your opponents can prepare a bit. Only thing is that randomly losing a rune card can really hurt you as you might lose a prepared one. Or will you only lose unprepared cards?

I do get what you mean about activating a rune in an area to get a power token/tap a rune card, but what I meant was whether or not you had to activate yet another rune in order to actually use the power token/the tapped card?

Dragon Rune of Death

What if your hero still lost his reward cards?

Yes, I think that would work as a charm.

Dragon Rune of Mithrilin

Permanently or just a once off?

Permanently would be very cool. And it would paint a big fat target on the city in question.

Prismatic Dragon Rune

I think its meant to be magic dragons in a prisim or some shit.
I'm reluctant to bring in 'scarifice' because it's antithematic - I can't think of any rune games where rune use requires sacrifice. Plus it's a dragon rune - you are not beseaching the dragons you are commanding them!
I'm not sure this cards text is 100% clear - you don't gain 2 dragons, you just draw 2 fate cards are resolve them as if a dragon drew them. It's not a proper combat or anything.

I get how it works, but it can still be a powerful attack. And I understand your reluctance to introduce a sacrifice, but I think it needs to be balanced somehow. Maybe have a limit on distance (eg. two hexes).

Dragon Rune of Phrynelyx

Could be an idea, especially if this card is overpowered.

I seem to recall that the TI3 teleport card works like this. It makes for a cool gamble.

Dragon Rune of Ghox

Suprising - I actually think this is pretty weak as not that many battles (in our games anyway) come down to stregth, normally one side gets wiped out before then. I made iot +6 so it was better than a fort.
I'm not sure I understand your suggestion - are you saying the bonus increases for each rune you reveal?

I believe that the bonus from a fort is at times crucial in battle, but maybe +6 is okay. What I meant was simply that you could use either +4, +6 or whatever.

Dragon Rune of Droxor

Actually wouldn't this card be better for low tear units?
If I have 3 archers and a giant I'd rather give my archers 6 attacks than my giant 2.

That's a good point.

Dragon Rune of Fromax

I'm actually a bit nervous about this one, as I can see it being used to zap off guys on the back line that are just holding a hex, thus depriving you of the city or resources of that hex. Or maybe even making you no longer hold a rune!

You're right. How about tying it to a hero so that you'd need to have one in the area in question? And/or making spaces that holds a revealed rune immune to the effect?

While I normally like the idea of 'hazardous magic', it just doesn't fit the theme. If this were a warhammer game I'd be more in favour of it. But runes have always seemed to be pretty easy to use (even fighters can use them.)
But let me think on it.

The idea of hazardous magic came from your reason as to why they would never do the spells in a homeland. That implied some risk. I can see what you mean, but from a game perspective I always love having to weigh up risks and potential rewards.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds