October 09, 2023
2458 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
09 Apr 2019 08:49 #295216 by Vysetron

Legomancer wrote: We don't need another Phil Eklund, who can't stop making the same game over and over. It's annoying and off-putting, which is a shame because there's a solid game there.

It's worked pretty well for Eric Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2019 09:21 #295218 by Sagrilarus
Seal Team Flix is really good. Had a great time playing it last night. I played Melissa, nicknamed "Shooter", and decided that if that's her nickname, that's how I should play her. So I pushed my luck and selected the assault rifle. I burst-shot the heck out of everything that stepped near me and flicked away. I've done a lot of flicking, so I did pretty doggone well with it. Got a promotion! According to the Internet she's earning $71,000 per year now as an E7.

We had a great round and got out with only one guy having any significant wounds. Really recommend this one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, jpat, Jexik, hotseatgames, Frohike, charlest, WadeMonnig

More
09 Apr 2019 09:24 #295219 by charlest

Sagrilarus wrote: Seal Team Flix is really good. Had a great time playing it last night. I played Melissa, nicknamed "Shooter", and decided that if that's her nickname, that's how I should play her. So I pushed my luck and selected the assault rifle. I burst-shot the heck out of everything that stepped near me and flicked away. I've done a lot of flicking, so I did pretty doggone well with it. Got a promotion! According to the Internet she's earning $71,000 per year now as an E7.

We had a great round and got out with only one guy having any significant wounds. Really recommend this one.

Wait until you get to Mission 2, which is basically the Ia Drang Valley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
09 Apr 2019 09:25 #295220 by Gary Sax
yeah, the opening bit in the doorway is murder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cdennett

More
09 Apr 2019 09:37 #295221 by Sagrilarus

charlest wrote:
Wait until you get to Mission 2, which is basically the Ia Drang Valley.

Wow, thanks for the heads up! This will be a featured game at the May Getaway weekend in Dewey Beach. Me and a dozen of my buddies have rented a beach house for a long weekend of gaming.

Also played Trade on the Tigris, which everyone else is loving, I'm ok with it. I have a gift for losing in this game. It works well, but I just don't seem to get the knack of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
09 Apr 2019 10:16 #295222 by hotseatgames

Gary Sax wrote: yeah, the opening bit in the doorway is murder.

Pro-strat: first action is to bank a grenade off the far right door frame, killing the sentry tucked back there. Barring that, just throw it at the row of 3 cover blocks or down the middle hallway. The noise will cause the sentries to take cover, which removes at least the threat of the sentry in the long hallway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Frohike, WadeMonnig

More
09 Apr 2019 11:57 #295223 by Jexik
Finally got in my first game of Root.

Wife's Marquise 30. My Eyrie: 1. Number of Turmoils: 3.

Needless to say she's willing to play again. My first turmoil was on turn 2 or 3, I thought, "aw shit, can I take that back," about in my recruit step, but ended up rolling with it...
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
09 Apr 2019 12:17 #295224 by charlest
Just to make sure, you know the Eyrie score their roost points every single turn in the End Phase, while Marquise only score their VP the moment they build the token (not every single round)?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jexik

More
09 Apr 2019 12:20 #295225 by Not Sure

Jexik wrote: Finally got in my first game of Root.

Wife's Marquise 30. My Eyrie: 1. Number of Turmoils: 3.

Needless to say she's willing to play again. My first turmoil was on turn 2 or 3, I thought, "aw shit, can I take that back," about in my recruit step, but ended up rolling with it...

Are you sure were counting VP correctly? That's an absolute rout. Eyrie should be earning points for every roost every turn (even in turmoil), and only losing VP for Bird cards during a turmoil, not every card in the decree.

Seem like something's wrong there, the cats are usually much too action-poor to keep the birds down that hard. Either they let off pressure in order to build for VPs, or they don't make any progress because they're fighting too much.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
09 Apr 2019 13:15 - 09 Apr 2019 13:19 #295231 by Jexik
I never had more than 3 roosts and I lost roughly 7-8 points from going into turmoil. The first Roost doesn't give any VPs, so I was usually scoring at most 1-2 points when I did score. I think I only destroyed one building of hers as well.

Going into turmoil on turn 2 meant that I was just as action poor all game.

charlest wrote: Just to make sure, you know the Eyrie score their roost points every single turn in the End Phase, while Marquise only score their VP the moment they build the token (not every single round)?

She had 4 Sawmills and 3 each of the other buildings, and crafted a couple things. I'm pretty sure we did everything right, rules-wise. I also got ambushed once when I really needed to win a battle and then build in the space. That was turmoil 2 or 3.
Last edit: 09 Apr 2019 13:19 by Jexik.

More
09 Apr 2019 13:18 #295232 by Sagrilarus

hotseatgames wrote:

Gary Sax wrote: yeah, the opening bit in the doorway is murder.

Pro-strat: first action is to bank a grenade off the far right door frame, killing the sentry tucked back there. Barring that, just throw it at the row of 3 cover blocks or down the middle hallway. The noise will cause the sentries to take cover, which removes at least the threat of the sentry in the long hallway.

It would appear we need to think a bit more broadly in the coming installment.

More
09 Apr 2019 14:37 #295237 by hotseatgames
That mission is unfortunately difficult, considering its position in the campaign.

More
09 Apr 2019 15:12 #295240 by Gary Sax
It's a crucible. imho, you might just skip to the next one with a mild success if you think there are players who might get frustrated by a difficult situation (door breach first turn). It definitely highlights how scary an opposed door breach is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Frohike

More
11 Apr 2019 22:03 #295357 by hotseatgames
Note to self... don't take your fantasy ameritrash prototype card game to a board game meetup full of Euro lovers. They had zero interest in trying it.

Instead I played the following:
1. Road Kill - a take that card game in which you try to maximize the dead animal cards on other players' roads while keeping your road as death-free as possible. Not terrible, but the production value was.

2. Trans America - goddamn train game, enough said

3. Hanabi - I know there is much love for this... I don't enjoy it.

I would have been better off doing solo play testing. :/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, allismom3, WadeMonnig

More
12 Apr 2019 10:04 #295371 by Legomancer
played good stuff last night including Shards of Infinity, which was new to me. A deckbuilding brawler, it's 10x more interesting than Star Realms (though it made me miss Nightfall). Thinking about picking it up.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.307 seconds