October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
01 Jul 2019 10:33 #299082 by Sagrilarus

DarthJoJo wrote: . . . Thebes is really under appreciated. It should be right up there with Ticket to Ride or Carcassonne as a modern classic. There’s the tactility of digging for chips in the excavation bags, and the central turn order mechanic creates stressful decisions without complexity.

Yeah, I have to ask my buddy to bring this one about once every six months just to get my fix in. It isn't requested by anyone, but when it comes out everyone talks about how good a play it is. I think by modern standards it's too lucky, but I love that dip into the bag, and it's a pretty solid representation of how life goes for a treasure hunter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2019 11:02 - 01 Jul 2019 11:03 #299084 by charlest

Sagrilarus wrote:

charlest wrote: We've also now played the campaign (read: advanced) game of Wings for the Baron a couple of times, and I think it improves the overall game. I certainly dig the base game, but adding in Recon and Bomber designs allows for multiple new strategic vectors. It also really emphasizes continual factory expansion, something which is minimal in the standard game. Everyone enjoyed this again and this looks to be a keeper.

Euro game of the year for 2015 and no one has even heard of it.

It looks like Dan Yarrington bought VPG and laid a bunch of people off (including Alan Emrich). He's also let some of the wargame titles go back to their designers (ETO being the only named specifically). Hopefully Wings for the Baron doesn't become impossible to find, although it doesn't look great since it's not even listed on their site anymore.

Link: boardgamegeek.com/thread/2147226/where-are-all-games
Last edit: 01 Jul 2019 11:03 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
01 Jul 2019 11:06 #299085 by Shellhead
Met up with the monthly hipster board game group. Seven players this, including a married couple and their 18 year-old daughter. That was a bit awkward, because the first game we played was What Do You Meme? It's yet another Cards Against Humanity kind of game, except that you use a picture of popular internet meme and players try to match it with a hopefully funny and profane card from their hand. I usually do well with Cards Against Humanity, but I tend to be middle-of-the-pack with this game, which I have now played twice.

I brought Citadels, and we played that next. Even though this group tends to be more than 50% non-gamers, we actually had three experienced Citadels players at the table. Seven is a great number, because you see all the roles get played every turn, and it's harder to anticipate who will choose which role. Near the end, half the players were on the verge of winning. Some king-making moves on the last two turns knocked out the two front-runners, and the teenage girl won. Good game. I like how each player tend to latch onto a couple of favorite roles, and there is no single ideal combo for the win.

More
01 Jul 2019 12:09 #299087 by Gary Sax
The idea of a VPG without Alan is just weird.

More
01 Jul 2019 12:49 - 01 Jul 2019 12:50 #299089 by Sagrilarus
(Wings for the Baron, Victory Point Games)

You know, I just had to patch my copy because four of the markers (important ones) got lost somehow. I could print from the rule book and paste onto foam backings, and a part of me thought maybe I should buy another copy because, you know, Wings for the Baron is going the distance like Settlers or Ticket to Ride with my group. It's a heavily rotated title. But then I said nah, why blow $31 on a second copy. It will take me years to wear this thing out and in a pinch I can buy a second copy.

Now that second copy will be in a used market where, perhaps, Wings for the Baron has been out of print for ten years. Gets me to thinking.
Last edit: 01 Jul 2019 12:50 by Sagrilarus.

More
01 Jul 2019 13:19 #299090 by mezike
Well you guys managed to trigger my fomo on Wings at any rate. Thanks? Maybe I’ll thank you later at any rate :)

More
01 Jul 2019 13:50 #299091 by ubarose
@Charlotte

We almost played Fury of Dracula last Thursday, but we had two players that had never played a hidden movement game, so we decided to break them in by playing Last Friday instead, which has way fewer rules than Fury of Dracula.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig, UnluckyFrogGaming

More
01 Jul 2019 14:08 #299093 by Ah_Pook
Played Talisman 2e with my dad and 10yo nephew this afternoon, including all the expansions (minus Dragons, which I don't have). First time using the City since I traded for it a little while back. They both chose characters that started in space, because why wouldn't you given the option. I had a Philosopher who started in the city. We only played for a couple of hours before calling it, but my dad was crushing and almost assuredly would have eventually won. He had a Staff of Mastery that let him enslave monsters and then found a 7 strength dragon to enslave, and some Battle Armor that he found in space, and some other real good stuff. My Philosopher wandered around the city and the countryside and basically didn't find anything useful anywhere ever. I almost became a Master Thief but failed, that was the heady peak for me heh. My nephew had a real bad time in space and got beat down by a variety of aliens, but did end up getting a bunch of Craft level ups eventually and was on a solid path to maybe doing something good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mezike, Frohike

More
01 Jul 2019 15:51 #299098 by UnluckyFrogGaming
Oohh! I'll check out Last Friday. Deduction and hidden movement games with a horror angle seem to be my thing nowadays :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
01 Jul 2019 16:15 #299102 by engineer Al

UnluckyFrogGaming wrote: Oohh! I'll check out Last Friday. Deduction and hidden movement games with a horror angle seem to be my thing nowadays :)

Check out the upcoming "It Came from the Tabletop" podcast. Josh and I will be talking about this game and another hidden gem. Should be on the front page here tomorrow morning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, hotseatgames

More
01 Jul 2019 17:26 #299110 by Josh Look

engineer Al wrote: Check out the upcoming "It Came from the Tabletop" podcast. Josh and I will be talking about this game and another hidden gem. Should be on the front page here tomorrow morning.

Can confirm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, engineer Al

More
01 Jul 2019 23:44 - 01 Jul 2019 23:45 #299132 by Gary Sax
Played some Ora et Labora with my spouse, I've had it for ages but we've been deep diving Fields of Arle instead. She wanted to play twice so it went over quite well.

I like it, it has more of that turn things into other things into points than Fields of Arle does. The thing that does drive me absolutely nuts about it is that it puts in player interaction pretty heavily (you can place your opponents pawns to work for you by paying them a moderate amount, which can fuck your opponents plans in a large variety of ways) but it means you have to know what buildings they have as they are basically on your tableau too for a price. By the end of a game they could have 10-15 buildings on cards. If you were playing 4 players you'd have to know which of the other three players at the table has which of the 30 buildings.

Making knowing everyone else's endless tableau is just bad physical design combined with bad game design.
Last edit: 01 Jul 2019 23:45 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
04 Jul 2019 19:10 #299240 by Erik Twice
Games should be far more mindful of accessibility issues.

Anyways, I played Lords of Waterdeep today. I like the game, even though it is what it is. There's not much to say about it, to be honest, other that me being 30 points below the next player for the first half of the game was (rightly) taken as a threat instead of a point of weakness. I finished second, not being able to catch up the combo of the first player.

Then we played a Bruno Faudutti game about dragons that was very questionable. I had fun but the game itself is pretty bad. The idea is that players flip cards and then decide to put it in one of five piles. Alternatively, they can say enough and take one of the piles. Whoever has the most points and isn't eliminated by not having enough of X or Y wins. It's quite literally a memory game.

Then I left because we were going to play with a guy who has shown me very poor sportsmanship the last two times we played. I'm not interested in playing with someone who gets upset and loudly for doing badly at a game or for being "attacked" in the weakest, friendliest of euros.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
05 Jul 2019 02:21 #299247 by mc
Today was last day of term (I'm a high school teacher) and some kids showed me that there is a little website implementation of Spyfall. So we played several rounds of that and I figured there might be an online version of Fake Artist and lo and behold that was there too so I introduced that one which was a bunch of fun. Good to know.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Frohike, Vysetron

More
05 Jul 2019 10:23 #299261 by charlest
More Pax Pamir 2nd edition. Absolutely love it. Won a very tight game where two of us pushed the Afghan coalition early and another player jumped on board mid-game. Fourth player won scoring with no coalition dominating in the first scoring round, but Afghan dominated the final one and I pulled ahead thanks to three gifts which I had purchased. I was hoarding money for a large chunk of the game and worked to whittle away at my fellow Afghan coalition's prestige. Both scoring rounds were triggered by two cards appearing at once and I let out a loud holler when the final one triggered shortly after the third dominance card was revealed. The timing was perfect to secure me the win.

I also tried it two player (without the AI opponent) and was a bit underwhelmed. It was a very conflict heavy take on the experience, but we found small mistakes or acquired edges were amplified and it snowballed quite a bit. I was steamrolled and I feel like two specific cards really turned the tide against me. Probably won't play at that count again, at least not without the bot.

I also introduced Slide Quest to two newbies and they both enjoyed it, although my main gaming buddy said he'd be fine never playing it again. I find it quite amusing and unique though and plan on hanging on to it.

We also got in High Society, and two more plays of Netrunner: Terminal Directive (I'm on a four game losing streak as the Runner...).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, Frohike

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.332 seconds