October 09, 2023
2511 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2708 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
20 May 2014 11:55 #178501 by ubarose

jeb wrote: My kid liked it folks, what can I say. It's not bad--sorry you've all had such a tough time with it. I don't think we had a turn go longer than a minute, and that was when we had to kill two of those big fellas for the Artifact.

I suspect playing with a kid is a much different experience than playing with a group of adult gamers. Kids are like, I want to kick that bear's ass, bada-bing-bada boom, your turn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, wadenels

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2014 12:30 - 20 May 2014 12:33 #178504 by Michael Barnes
but Runebound really won that race by a large distance,

Do what now?

Gawd, Runebound was awful...can we please stop talking about it, maybe it will go away.

It's really a shame Lineage II never really found any traction in the Runebound era...it's a light Talisman-y adventure game but it has a lot more going on...namely, Cosmic Encounter-like sieges with a HILARIOUS combat resolution- both sides roll d8, loser loses the difference in men from his side...which may mean that you send 1-7 of your allies off to the dead cart. You can do the whole one-man standoff thing against a massive army and win.

But yeah, playing games with kids is so very different. No one bitches. No one moans. No one comments about what fucking bullshit they read online about the game. They just get excited and have fun.
Last edit: 20 May 2014 12:33 by Michael Barnes.

More
20 May 2014 15:45 - 20 May 2014 15:48 #178511 by Bull Nakano
Last edit: 20 May 2014 15:48 by Bull Nakano.

More
20 May 2014 15:45 #178512 by Bull Nakano
I don't think Runebound is better than the more recent games I mentioned, but it was totally better than Prophecy and Return of the Heroes...and Talisman.

More
20 May 2014 23:10 #178543 by ThirstyMan
Everyone will please stop dissing Runebound as I just spent a shitload getting all the expansions.

Cease and desist.

More
20 May 2014 23:36 #178547 by VonTush
Runebound I always thought was a pretty darn good adventure game that just had a pacing that was off a little.

More
21 May 2014 03:14 #178559 by mads b.
Runebound is great - especially if you do the quick levelling (1 XP per level, max 5) and skip player vs. player combat. Of course some of the cards are a bit weird (like how you can kill the evil necromancer Vorakesh quite early in the game, but still have to fight the dragon he was about to summon), but a lot of them fit together in cool ways.

I mostly play it solo, though, but with two or three players it's still good.

More
21 May 2014 03:55 #178560 by KingPut

JoelCFC25 wrote: The writing's been on the wall for some time, but I just wrapped up a PBEM game of Washington's War in which KingPut's 'MURICANS wiped the floor with my British.

At the WBC they call the game in 1781 which I think is a good rule. They also give the British a free card draw if they have to play Ben Franklin or Dec of Independence. It becomes tougher and tougher on the British after 1781 and the last 2 years can start to drag.

Thanks for the game. I always love playing WWr.

More
21 May 2014 06:53 #178562 by repoman
Death of a Shelf Toad

I have owned Crusader Rex for ever. I'm taking years. And never played it. That was rectified last night when Jimbo came over and tried it out with me.

Looking at it. It seems like it should be great. An exciting and tense game with a theme I really dig. It turned out it didn't do much for me. Not a bad game to be sure, just dull. Perhaps it's because the game rewards timid play? Conserve your irreplaceable units, don't venture too far from your own towns lest you get hit by winter attrition, lots of sieges where it's better to starve them out than to assault.

Anyway, I didn't hate it but I sure didn't love it. Anybody wanna trade?
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax

More
21 May 2014 10:02 #178569 by Bull Nakano

mads b. wrote: Runebound is great - especially if you do the quick levelling (1 XP per level, max 5) and skip player vs. player combat. Of course some of the cards are a bit weird (like how you can kill the evil necromancer Vorakesh quite early in the game, but still have to fight the dragon he was about to summon), but a lot of them fit together in cool ways.

I mostly play it solo, though, but with two or three players it's still good.

yeah, the faster leveling house rule is a must. PVP in adventure games is usually awful. I like interaction, but usually the price for losing a combat in these games only serve to make the game longer.

More
21 May 2014 10:13 #178570 by Legomancer
Played the SdJ nominee Splendor last night, twice. Hoo. This is what I wrote about it:

Let me be clear: there's nothing wrong with Splendor. It works, it's fine, it does a thing. But that's as far as it goes, or even seems to aim for. It's another item on the list of recent games that seem to be happy eliciting a response of, "Yep, that's a game, all right." We played two games in pretty much silence, doing the things you do in the game until someone won. Occasionally someone called someone else a jerk for taking a card the former person wanted. There's nothing here aggressively bad enough to make one dislike it, nor captivating enough to demand further play. It seems designed specifically to sit on a shelf as part of a "collection". If it wins the prize it's up for, that will be the only way anyone will be thinking about it next year.

The game has these great chunky poker chips in it for absolutely no reason but to drive the cost up, and I'd go so far as to say that if they had been cardboard tokens no one would give this a second look.

Finished out with Guildhall, which I really enjoy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VonTush, san il defanso, Bull Nakano

More
21 May 2014 10:22 #178571 by san il defanso
That matches my own assessment of Splendor almost exactly. It's a perfectly cromulent game, but that's about all it strives to.

More
21 May 2014 11:15 #178575 by Bull Nakano

San Il Defanso wrote: That matches my own assessment of Splendor almost exactly. It's a perfectly cromulent game, but that's about all it strives to.

Cosigned. Board gamers are such easy marks.

More
21 May 2014 12:06 #178579 by Michael Barnes
What do you want out of it? It's a light, casual game. The kind of thing you chit-chat over, but it is smartly designed enough to be interesting and mildly competitive.

Not everything has to be a head-down, hunkerathon.

More
21 May 2014 13:13 #178587 by Legomancer

Michael Barnes wrote: What do you want out of it? It's a light, casual game. The kind of thing you chit-chat over, but it is smartly designed enough to be interesting and mildly competitive.

Not everything has to be a head-down, hunkerathon.

I want a game where the experience of playing it is distinguishable from the experience of not playing it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jeb, Almalik, bfkiller, Black Barney, san il defanso, wadenels, Erik Twice, Bull Nakano

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 2.729 seconds