October 09, 2023
2485 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2687 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
21 Apr 2014 18:19 #176214 by VonTush

SuperflyTNT wrote: Good lookin' out!! It's worth the price just to get the little figurines!

Totally going to get this.

EDIT: Fuck. That was a BGG image that someone kitbashed using Heroclix dudes.

Fuck. Hopes=Dashed.

A BGG Cock-Tease.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2014 19:07 - 22 Apr 2014 01:19 #176220 by trif
Had one of our semiregular games days, but with a small turn out (lots of sick people) so we stayed on the light side of the spectrum.

Played:

Cards Against Humanity Always fun (as it's basically determining everyone's tolerance for dirty jokes.)

Rampage using the superlight rules from VonTush which sped it up tremendously. One of the players was determined to get all four vehicles in his area so he could launch all of them. We let him do it at the end of the game and the results were - unspectacular. Still I'm going to use VonTush's rules to introduce the game to newbies as it makes the game far more accessible.

Mayday Mayday Resistance style game with some deductive elements thrown in about competing factions in a plane cockpit. The game rules though short seemed unclear and at the end (it's very short) we felt we hadn't played it properly.

Prophecy Euro-Talisman. I couldn't get anywhere as every fight I had ended in a draw. We ended the game on the first artifact acquisition. Although I have the expansion, I'll probably get rid of it as it just didn't seem fun.

Battle Beyond Space Went down very well - I still think it's a great game and I think I may have sold another copy. Does exactly what it sets out to do and has loads of laughs buried in it. Should be much more popular and better known than it is. Kudos to moofrank.
Last edit: 22 Apr 2014 01:19 by trif.

More
21 Apr 2014 19:23 #176223 by Michael Barnes
Battle Beyond Space is STUPIDLY underrated. I'm not quite sure why it didn't take off like it should have. It's a GREAT action game- lots of laughs, super cool theme and it's a rare multiplayer spaceship battle game.

Also, my name in Comic Sans in the rulebook...nightmares do come true.

More
21 Apr 2014 21:41 #176233 by VonTush

trif wrote: Rampage using the superlight rules from (F:At user unknown - goddamn search interface - please show up and take credit) which sped it up tremendously. One of the players was determined to get all four vehicles in his area so he could launch all of them. We let him do it at the end of the game and the results were - unspectacular. Still I'm going to use (F:At user)'s rules to introduce the game to newbies as it makes the game far more accessible.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: trif

More
23 Apr 2014 12:36 #176370 by VonTush
Second to last game night before the host of my Tues Game Nights moves off to Colorado to try his hand at the legal MaryJane trade.

We started with Nexus Ops. It had been many years since I last played and the first on the FFG edition. Early on I was luke-warm on it. Last night though, it was one of those game sessions where you revisit a game after years of being away and you're able to look at it under a different light and under different circumstances and it takes on a new shape and persona.

Our game took about two hours and it was the first time for the other three players. Every person except myself was finding Rock Striders. By turn three or so I was flanked on both sides with those damn things as both the person to the left and right were heading towards my side. Then the opponent across from me gained control of the monolith because of the lack of pressure and after a few turns of holding it I finally managed to convince my opponents to spend a little focus on him. That gave me some breathing room.

It was a good learning game for everyone - The guy to my left wound up in last place because he just wasn't making smart moves (moving miners off of spaces losing income, parking a Lava Leaper on his base for a few turns for defense I guess). The guy across I thought had a good chance having a hand of Energize Cards and lots of VPs. The guy to my right made attacks too early and basically threw his troops to the wolves but still managed to amass a solid number of VPs to almost win. The breathing room I created did provide the opportunity to focus on VPs and I ended up with the win.

Realistically if Red didn't take the Monolith attracting the attention of my opponents I would have been taken out of the game for good. But as it stood if the two other guys focused on VPs at all they would have won a lot sooner that it took me.

The simplicity and beauty of the game really shined for me last night. And I really appreciated it a lot more.

We then did two races of PitchCar, with the most depressing and negative girl I have ever met. She was in 3rd place but every comment was about how she was about to get lapped, how her car was flipping and catching fire...It really put a damper on what is a fun, stupid, light game.

More
24 Apr 2014 08:51 #176428 by Legomancer
Two games of Theseus last night. First as green/red, then as blue and gray. I liked that the second game, while still the same game, felt so different just because of the factions. This is a great 2p game so far, and I'm kind of eager to see how it goes with three.

More
24 Apr 2014 09:45 #176435 by charlest
Myth again, this time we had 5 players for the first time. So we got to see the Apprentice, which had not been played before.

We began the second Story Quest, Act 1. This had us venturing to a nearby Castle where a thief was being held. Word was the Thief had taken a powerful gem known as the Soul Stone from its resting place behind a waterfall in the wilderness. Yardu, the skeleton mini-boss, had discovered this and captured the thief, attempting to locate the stone.

We fought through large swathes of crawlers, cut down some Orc captains, beat down Yardu with a hail of blows, and freed the thief. We discovered the thief did not have the stone on him, but it was stashed at his home, which we will venture to in Act II.

One really cool Chapter Quest came up in this session. Chapter Quests are like small side-quests that pop up during the game, offering extra rewards for accomplishing secondary goals. Our Chapter Quest this session was fending off a wave of Crawlers that were attacking the warrior Marcus the Ready's camp. After killing wagon-loads of the spiders and securing the campsite, Marcus proved pleased. Due to this Chapter Quest, we can now spend Serendipity (a party resource) to summon Marcus to come to our aid. This is permanent and we can do this at any point in the future.

There are several quests which unlock allies that can all be summoned to aid you by spending Serendipity. It's reminiscent of the same mechanic in Dark Souls, where you can call upon certain allies to help you at crucial moments. I can't wait till we run into the Terror with 1,000 legs, we will make sure we have enough Serendipity to bring Marcus to the battle.

More
24 Apr 2014 10:04 #176441 by RobertB
I finally got to play a game of Clash of Cultures. This was with two of my coworkers, who I managed to sucker into playing. None of us had played before, so it made it take a little longer than I had hoped - the box says 3 hours, I was hoping for 4, and we ended up closer to 6. Our slowness aside, I really enjoyed it. With my vast, one-game experience, it feels like there are plenty of paths to win. Plus, it looks really good on the table.

More
24 Apr 2014 10:17 #176444 by Gary Sax
Six hours! Yikes!

I could see it, though, if you took your time with every advance---it's a lot of information to process with the entire tech tree sitting in front of you, waiting for you to find the synergies.

More
24 Apr 2014 11:27 #176459 by RobertB
Gary Sax wrote:

Six hours! Yikes!

I could see it, though, if you took your time with every advance---it's a lot of information to process with the entire tech tree sitting in front of you, waiting for you to find the synergies.

I think it took 30 minutes, if not more, just to work through all the rules. I'd add more time for new player, "What the hell does that icon mean again?" sorts of questions.

It was my copy of the game and, as the teacher, I had walked through the turns the night before like a good, responsible gamer. Unfortunately, that walkthrough was actually about a month or so before we got around to playing it, since I had brought the game again on the off chance I could browbeat them into playing. It turned out that I had forgotten a good bit of it. Use it or lose it.

You're right about that tech tree. It's...it's big. There are a lot of techs, and they _all_ look interesting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
24 Apr 2014 13:18 #176480 by Legomancer
In case you're interested, I wrote a review of Theseus:

Something Has Gone Wrong on Space Station Theseus
The following user(s) said Thank You: scrumpyjack

More
24 Apr 2014 16:35 #176505 by wadenels

Legomancer wrote: In case you're interested, I wrote a review of Theseus:

Something Has Gone Wrong on Space Station Theseus

I've played some 2P and a couple 4P games of Theseus now, and I don't know if I like the scoring changes for more than 2P. All the card text makes sense when you're gaining Data Points and losing Life Points, but it gets all weird and interpret-y when you make the shift to 3 or 4 players.

Anyone tried playing 3 or 4 player Theseus just scoring/hitting like it was a normal 2P game?

More
24 Apr 2014 17:48 #176513 by Michael Barnes
Theseus is the best game of 2014 so far. It's exactly the kind of weird, disruptive and out-of-nowhere design that we need more of. I can't say that I've ever played anything quite like it, but the things that appeal to me most about this type of game are all there in quantity.

I usually don't go in for those stupid BGG promo expansions, but I actually want the extra cards for this, just because I like it so much.

More
24 Apr 2014 19:04 #176515 by wadenels

Michael Barnes wrote: Theseus is the best game of 2014 so far. It's exactly the kind of weird, disruptive and out-of-nowhere design that we need more of. I can't say that I've ever played anything quite like it, but the things that appeal to me most about this type of game are all there in quantity.

I usually don't go in for those stupid BGG promo expansions, but I actually want the extra cards for this, just because I like it so much.

I went and got the extra cards. They're neat; they're not all instant cards like the core space station cards.

More
24 Apr 2014 23:51 #176533 by madwookiee
I just picked up THeseus on a whim - looking forward to giving it a try this weekend.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.623 seconds