October 09, 2023
2452 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
28 Apr 2014 12:55 #176772 by SuperflyPete
I was telling Repo that my Target had a swarm of the shit just sitting on a shelf. I walked by, knowingly. "Another Barnes glowing review then off to the sale rack" I thought...knowingly.

I only go to Target once a month to pick up protein shakes. If they're still there, maybe I'll drop some coin. Collectible and 2-player kills this for me. I have Heroscape, so why do I need this?

Tell me where this trumps Heroscape, Mike (no sarcasm), and convince me that I need this over it. I'm quite interested now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2014 13:09 #176773 by Bull Nakano
It's just got purdy dice and a superhero theme. It doesn't even trump Heroclix or Vs.

More
28 Apr 2014 13:44 #176779 by RobertB
Michael Barnes wrote:

Australia, Goa, and Louis XIV were pretty much Waterloo for the soulless Euro for me. Then Thurn und Taxis came out, which made those games look heartfelt and passionate.

I seem to recall Australia getting ripped pretty hard by the Euro crowd when it came out. More of the same, not a lot of there, there, that sort of thing. I guess you can only make it so generic before even fans will bag you for it.

More
28 Apr 2014 14:08 #176785 by Gary Sax
Man, even hearing talk of "rare" and "super-rare" got my hate rising. I don't think I'm cut out for the CCG game anymore. And I do love Quarriors, so this would be a natural fit...

More
28 Apr 2014 14:59 #176794 by phandec

Bull Nakano wrote: purdy dice

You mean that isn't enough???

(I have not bought into this game, by the way, and I [probably] won't.)

More
28 Apr 2014 15:12 #176796 by VonTush
Basically if you liked Quarriors but want something more AND can get past the collectable nature...Then I'd recommend it. There's quite a bit of game there as far as I can tell at this point.

More
28 Apr 2014 15:17 #176798 by Ska_baron
Taught my wife TI3 and no shit, she liked it.

BEST BIRTHDAY GIFT EVER. Her trying it, not her liking it - that just happened and was awesome.

So she has no real background in the Dudes on a Map so this was a big leap into it after I'd raved about it to her brother (who also played and loves it). So she said she'd try it for my birthday and the game is 3 rounds in with just her, me and her brother - with very few options added in to keep it simple and faster.

We've not really gotten to combat yet as we've only now just gotten next to one another, but tonight we'll try to get in another round or two.

As awesome as it is, this is just the test run for this Friday when my official birthday gaming even will take place and Friday night will be us three plus two of our friends who've played TI as much as me. Then the Trade/Politics/alliances will come in better and I think she'll enjoy it even more.

What's interesting is she's very competitive and likes Dominion for example because you generally build your engine better than someone else and they cant mess with you (she hates Witches). But she seems cool with the idea that someone could come in and mess up her fleets/take her planets, but the VP she earns (outside of Artifacts) are solidly hers.

Will update as events unfold...
The following user(s) said Thank You: dragonstout, Black Barney, airmarkus

More
28 Apr 2014 15:21 - 28 Apr 2014 15:35 #176799 by dragonstout
I know I'm going to get shit for this, but: if you can handle Magic: the Gathering, what does MDM:AvX offer that Magic doesn't? The combat mechanic is extremely similar (okay, not similar, *identical*). It very much looks like simplified MTG; I see cards with first strike, trample, etc...except here that's the ONLY ability they have. Like playing Portal with a bunch of French Vanilla commons.

No hidden information, though, that kills the most fun part of nearly EVERY great game! It seems like the worst of both worlds: the dice aren't really used in the usual sense of dice, providing choice-then-luck drama: they're used like cards to provide a random draw (combat/attacks have zero surprise...in a dice game!). And yet you don't get the best part of cards, which is that they provide hidden information to allow bluffing, suspense, etc.

Edit: also, Barnes, trading your Green Goblin for another box of boosters is dumb, really. After opening one box, buying another box of blind boosters is crazy...a HUGE percentage of what you open will be useless. Much better to trade your Green Goblin for every single rare you don't have, or something like that.
Last edit: 28 Apr 2014 15:35 by dragonstout.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bull Nakano

More
28 Apr 2014 15:26 #176801 by san il defanso
The conversation on Marvel Dice Masters is starting to take off. Do you think we could start a different thread with that just so it could be followed a little better?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, VonTush

More
28 Apr 2014 15:30 #176803 by Gary Sax
Maybe uba could swing by and package up those posts, moving them to their own thread?

More
28 Apr 2014 18:36 #176833 by wadenels
Thanks to Sag for pointing out What Price Glory?. This is one of the reasons I like this site; I never would have found out about that game if it weren't for F:AT.

WPG? is really cool. It's not rules heavy, it's extremely interesting, and it's (in my opinion) a proper wargame that fits into 8 pages of rules. It totally could have been a boxed game if it had a few more scenarios, but as it is it's still pretty great. Definitely check it out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
28 Apr 2014 18:51 #176836 by Sagrilarus

wadenels wrote: Thanks to Sag for pointing out What Price Glory?. Definitely check it out.

What Price Glory? was my Bargain of the Year for 2013. A great three hour wargame for $24.

S.

More
30 Apr 2014 10:16 #176963 by Legomancer
Played a P&P version of Machi Koro last night. It's not bad, adorably cute, and has the potential to be huge with casual gamers, but there just doesn't seem to be enough in the base set. (In fact, an expansion will be following closely behind, which should raise alarms.)

You're building a city and there are cards for different buildings. On your turn you roll a die. Some buildings may pay off in money for you, some buildings pay off on other peoples' turns. Some steal money from other players. eventually you can roll two dice, making more powerful buildings pay off. Goal is to be the first to build four particular buildings.

It's super easy to teach and learn, plays quickly, little downtime, and it's fun and funny. But it also just seems to need more. Like, there's a card that pays off depending on the number of buildings with a cow icon on them. In the base set there's one card like that. So to make that building worthwhile, you have to stock up on farms, and since you can only buy one per turn and the farms aren't that great, there doesn't seem to be much reason to do so. Furthermore, the farms are cheap and decent enough at the beginning that when you finally get this other building, there may not be too many left to even get, at which point you'll need another card that lets you swap buildings. All just to make a single card worthwhile. Compare this to the Mall, which affects cards with two different icons, of which there are several.

Ideally this should come with like 30 or 40 different cards in the base and you use a selection of them, Dominion-style, to mix it up. But as is, I think people are going to say you need the expansion to really play it and that's going to hurt it, I think. But what the fuck do I know, people still buy Munchkin shit by the wagonload.

Oh and I played another goddamn Ticket to Ride game. Netherlands. It was, you won't be surprised to hear, another goddamn Ticket to Ride game, speaking of shit people still can't get enough of.

More
30 Apr 2014 11:54 #176972 by Stonecutter
I have a P&P version of Machi Koro and the expansion and yes, it's much better with the expansion, we never never play without it.

More
01 May 2014 09:19 #177109 by charlest
Played our fifth session of Myth. Trudged through a tangled forest and broken stream before meeting up with the Emberweave and passing out at a campfire. Think after our next session, when we finish the second Story Quest, we will put our campaign on hold until wave 2 arrives. Still very much enjoy it but it's gotten in the way of playing other games.

We then got in three games of One Night Ultimate Werewolf and I introduced the Doppelganger to the group. They very much enjoyed it.

Closed out with a five player game of The Resistance: Avalon. I was Morgana, we also used Assassin, Merlin, Percival. Bad guys went up 2-0 but then the good guys ran the table. I took a gamble by failing the first mission with just 2 people, and this may have been a bad move. It was fine though because I figured out who Percival and Merlin were by the end of it and we assassinated the right person. Been awhile since I've played this, really love it with an experienced group.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.397 seconds