October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
04 Jun 2014 17:35 #179662 by Erik Twice

Hatchling wrote: Where's the love for Steam? Great game, and no clumsy board mess. And Morgan's expansions are excellent.

It's one of my favourite games of all time. I've played it more than 60 times and I still want more. And I agree Morgan's expansions are excellent, really great stuff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2014 06:34 #179712 by Pug
I went to a local board game cafe and played two rounds of Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game. I hadn't played the game in years, but I always liked it. I contacted some local players and setup a meeting. I watched one game as a refresher on the game mechanics, and played two. I won one, but got slaughtered on the second.

I used one of the guys decks during the two games I played, but am inspired to make my own for the next time, even though I have a limited pool of cards. A cool game, probably my favorite card game in recent years. I like the mechanics of the game and the narrative you can create in the game. Lots of interesting combos and combinations. Just gotta pick up a few more of the bigger expansions and I'll be happy!

More
05 Jun 2014 19:43 #179770 by Aarontu
My wife and I played COSMIC ENCOUNTER with a couple friends last week. It was awesome; I love that game.

More
05 Jun 2014 19:49 #179772 by wadenels
Three nights, three games.

Played LoTR Confrontation. First time I ever played this and I was the dark forces. Really fun game. I like it better than Stratego. Stratego is a game I want to like more than I actually do because the premise seems so interesting. Confrontation gives me enough Stratego with a setting, card play, and special abilities that I like. Now I kinda wish I had picked up the deluxe edition.

Nuclear War followed by Weapons of Mass Destruction, which is basically the same game. This is my kind of game. Easy sit back and blow up your friends type of game. Goes well with beer and threats. I picked up Nuclear War, Escalation, Proliferation, WMD, and a full set of the boosters for $15 total and I'm pretty happy about it. Now I can't decide if I want to mix up the decks or not.

Risk: Godstorm, which was awesome, is awesome, and will always be awesome. I won again, because that's kind of what I do.

More
05 Jun 2014 23:09 #179780 by Michael Barnes
Mix 'em up. But you're going to want to edit the warheads and missiles. And cut the propaganda WAY down.

We used to play with everything, even those stupid "booster packs" they did.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels

More
06 Jun 2014 07:03 #179788 by repoman
For F:AT Thursday we played the Mummy game with the magnets. You move your pieces on a verticle board while the mummy player moves their's from the opposite side. And it all comes together with the magic of magnetism. The real name is something in German. It was cute and the finish was much closer than I thought it would be. I imagine this game would be fabulous with 3 kids as the explorers and an adult as the mummy.

Then we played Wrath of Ashardelon. One of those games that you know is good but you forget just how good until you play it again. Really one o if nit the best dungeon crawl.

And we had shots of whiskey from the Globe Bar. That's two weeks in a row and is thus a Secret Lair ritual now.

More
06 Jun 2014 09:06 #179795 by Legomancer
Played The Ares Project last night, which a friend picked up recently. This is what I said about it:

This one is a real head-scratcher. I don't know what to make of it. In a way it's kind of like Neuroshima Hex: Das Kartenspiel, but that's not really too accurate. We played with the advanced (regular) rules, which was probably a mistake, as the besic construction and combat rules present in the starter game are wonky enough without adding the other layers. It also was a bad move because they really do mean "advanced". I was playing the Space Wizards and there's a lot to consider and manage that is very hard to do if you've never played at all before. Still, there's something there, and while I feel that exploring it further is going to result in a game that's not really my thing, I'd like to see more.

I think I'd like to try the baby game at least once before heading back in.

More
06 Jun 2014 09:52 - 06 Jun 2014 09:53 #179807 by Gary Sax
I've always been intrigued by the Ares project, I just know it wouldn't get any play around here. The asymmetry looks awesome.
Last edit: 06 Jun 2014 09:53 by Gary Sax.

More
07 Jun 2014 00:30 #179912 by Gary Sax
Put a beat down on my buddy in Twilight Struggle. I'm starting to think that 2 player games (esp. wargames) are my favorite type of games... really had a good time with beers and a thinky game while talking bullshit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
07 Jun 2014 01:22 #179916 by Space Ghost

Gary Sax wrote: Put a beat down on my buddy in Twilight Struggle. I'm starting to think that 2 player games (esp. wargames) are my favorite type of games... really had a good time with beers and a thinky game while talking bullshit.

I wish I had some excuse to come to Lubbock so we could play this. Still my favorite board game.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.862 seconds