October 09, 2023
2479 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
28 Jan 2019 21:40 #290830 by Msample

Gary Sax wrote: Fucking a Msample, what a slate. So jealous of the John Company play in particular.

Super impressed you guys did the full company scenario and not just the monopoly period!

One thing that might be hypothetically useful for John Company to start with up front is that you are mimicking behavior that actually happened---people extract from the company till it collapsed, then formed their own rival companies. So these exit options are totally feasible and will happen in a long game. Also, fuck genuine metagame whiners in a negotiation game.

Everyone knew this going in; doesn’t mean they agree with how the game portrays it once they see it in action.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2019 08:39 - 29 Jan 2019 08:40 #290854 by charlest
That is impressive that you played the full company game. From what I gather, the majority of players are just playing the straight up non-advanced game (it's where my experience lies). Our plays have only taken about 2.5-3 hours for the non full company game as well. Not sure it's worth the exta hour or two and headache of those extra rules.

Differences between the full company and regular game notwithstanding, in my few plays it never felt like tanking was the obvious route. Shipping goods is incentivized and that can make the company quite a bit of scratch. If you're well represented on the board you can make quite a bit from dividends and possibly shipping. If this wealth is spread around a bit, there will then be several people who want the company to keep running.

The problem with tanking is that it's not immediate, and you may be left holding the bag by the time it actually goes under.
Last edit: 29 Jan 2019 08:40 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
29 Jan 2019 09:46 - 29 Jan 2019 09:46 #290864 by Gary Sax
I'm not experienced so don't take my opinion seriously but...

The one thing I don't get on the immediate tank strategy is how you get points besides manors? The point of the retirements is the offices, which you only get if you're running the company and don't leave disgraced (iirc it's much more expensive if you're disgraced). Tank too hard and you won't get efficient point conversion.
Last edit: 29 Jan 2019 09:46 by Gary Sax.

More
29 Jan 2019 10:08 #290868 by charlest
I think the idea is to gain some points from an retirement or two, maybe a manor, and then tank the game?

More
29 Jan 2019 10:58 #290878 by Michael Barnes
Look, I love y’all but when you start talking about John Company I start to nod off.

More
29 Jan 2019 12:11 #290887 by lj1983
Got together with some people from the library game group.

Blood Rage - Its literally been years since I've played this, so I forgot about things like the troll jumping out and just smashing all the dudes in an area. I remembered why I didn't love this game....I'm not a fan of drafting. and that's such a huuge part of this.

Still, I can recognize that it is a good game, probably the best CMON game that I've played. How the powers interact and how much of an impact timing your move on things showed me that there's a lot to learn here if I wanted.

I ended up in 3rd of 4, but within 5 points of the leader by switching to Loki hard-core in the 2nd age and just dumping all my people in to places that were going to get beat up on. I did end up handing a couple extra points to the winner, just by not realizing that I could get my guys killed without joining that specific fight.

Argent: The Consortium - So, last time I played with this group, we did two things that really tone down the game. I played with a 4 player setup, with only 3 players (not purposely....) and we played the summer break scenario, which adds in mages over the 5 rounds. these two things make the board really open, and so you can see the game and what it can do....but the conflict just isn't there.

So I set it up right this time (always a plus!) and we taught another. so 4 players, and the first round I think 60% of the mages ended up in the infirmary. I ended up 'turtling' up, with 3 different spells/abilities that allowed me to react when one of my mages was banished/wounded. so by the end, I was the last target for all the fireballs and poisons and banishements being thrown around. I was the technomancy school, so I did not fight for those couple 'research' spots on the board, and just bought my research. by the end I was swimming in Mana and spells, and just gave up on supporters.

For the voter cards, for a while I've just been shuffling them all out and make all 12 random. one player requested that next time, we shuffle, but pick two to be face up. I think that's a good idea, it'll still reduce the impact of influence, while also allowing just alittle bit more information out there.

Still my favorite Worker placement, and this specific game was a lot of fun. and this is still *usually* playing with the starting board set-up and all 'A' sides on the mages.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike

More
29 Jan 2019 12:24 #290890 by Sagrilarus

Got back yesterday from three days of gaming at a con in Niagara Falls ONT.

This is one of the conventions I've considered attending. Nice part of the world, even in January. Oddly enough we've gotten more snow in Maryland than they have up in Niagara.

So, last night was our first real shot at Battlestar Galactica: Starship Battles which was a good time. I can speak to the game itself later. But I'd like to take a minute to discuss the concept of learning a game as a group instead of having one person learn it and then be on the hook to teach it to everyone else verbally. Last night confirmed my endorsement of learning games that way.

When reading the rules myself prior to last night I had a couple of mental blocks on how maneuver worked in the game. Speed vs Kinetic Energy and when to use the drift template had me pretty screwed up, in spite of the rule book more or less being solid on the topics. So when my buddy Stephen sat down while I was setting up and dry-running he grabbed that one page in the rule book and started reading himself. What I was describing didn't make sense to me from a physics perspective and didn't seem to seat well with the rules. That was for good reason, because I had not interpreted correctly and when Stephen started bringing out his interpretation of what he was reading we were able to find where we were supposed to be. We had a good time doing it. The game suddenly came alive, and it made MUCH more sense when both of us put our heads together on how to play.

I've mentioned on other sites, Reddit and BGG in particular that sometimes learning a game as a group can be a unifying, pleasurable experience and I generally get shouted down. Someone showing up with a game that they haven't completely digested is apparently being a shitty game player. But in spite of our slow-going in the first couple of turns it was a good session that we really enjoyed. The discovery was part of the fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, allismom3, Msample, lj1983, mezike, Hadik, DarthJoJo

More
29 Jan 2019 18:32 #291037 by Msample
Tanking JOHN COMPANY: you form a private firm after deregulation; you can make a a lot of VP on the last turn. Of course, since the private firms act first, there are less trade routes to fill for the company. Esp appealing for those with no Executive offices.

More
29 Jan 2019 19:04 #291046 by jeb
We finally finished PANDEMIC:LEGACY, Season 1 after three years. Scored 850! Making us legendary. Applause all around. I am keeping the board and will mount it somewhere. Things got rough over in China/Southeast Asia, yeesh.

Felt really weird to just throw the game away though. Just a big old box in the trash like garbage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, Frohike, DukeofChutney, DarthJoJo

More
29 Jan 2019 19:17 #291048 by Erik Twice

Gary Sax wrote: I'm not experienced so don't take my opinion seriously but...

The one thing I don't get on the immediate tank strategy is how you get points besides manors? The point of the retirements is the offices, which you only get if you're running the company and don't leave disgraced (iirc it's much more expensive if you're disgraced). Tank too hard and you won't get efficient point conversion.

I think not being hit by the -3VP per office held penalty is enough to win. I mean, nobody else is getting money if the company tanks, either, so it's not like they can compensate.

More
29 Jan 2019 19:58 #291053 by Shellhead

jeb wrote: We finally finished PANDEMIC:LEGACY, Season 1 after three years. Scored 850! Making us legendary. Applause all around. I am keeping the board and will mount it somewhere. Things got rough over in China/Southeast Asia, yeesh.

Felt really weird to just throw the game away though. Just a big old box in the trash like garbage.

Is Pandemic: Legacy worthless after the campaign? I've heard that Risk: Legacy is perfectly playable as Risk after the campaign, though the board is of course highly customized.

More
30 Jan 2019 08:51 - 30 Jan 2019 08:52 #291079 by RobertB

Shellhead wrote: Is Pandemic: Legacy worthless after the campaign? I've heard that Risk: Legacy is perfectly playable as Risk after the campaign, though the board is of course highly customized.

Yes. It isn't playable after the December missions.
Last edit: 30 Jan 2019 08:52 by RobertB.

More
30 Jan 2019 08:54 #291082 by charlest

Msample wrote: Tanking JOHN COMPANY: you form a private firm after deregulation; you can make a a lot of VP on the last turn. Of course, since the private firms act first, there are less trade routes to fill for the company. Esp appealing for those with no Executive offices.

Ah, no deregulation or private companies in the non-full company game.

More
30 Jan 2019 11:01 #291097 by SaMoKo
I love not far from Niagra Falls and didn’t even know there was a con lol.

More
30 Jan 2019 11:08 #291098 by Gary Sax
Yep, that's the only scenario I've run through as well, so didn't see that there was an alternate, non-manor, VP mechanism.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.966 seconds