October 09, 2023
2296 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
16 Feb 2019 13:20 - 16 Feb 2019 13:27 #292435 by Ah_Pook
My wife picked us up a copy of Quacks of Quedlinberg recently. We both had reservations re there being enough game there to justify it being a $55 big box game, but those quickly fell by the wayside as we have played it. Everyone has loved it so far. Its just fun as hell what can I say. I do still think it would be better served as a small box $20 game, but eh. The combination of building up your bag and the gambling push your luck tension of trying to find that one damn tile you know you bought last round just works. Plus having a bunch of different effects for each color tile gives it some variability legs.

I've also played New Frontiers 5 times now and I think its pretty great with a couple caveats. It does exactly what it says on the tin, ie it smashes up a bunch of stuff from the Puerto Rico/RFTG lineage of games into a super streamlined well honed boardgame. It plays great at all counts, and theres a lot of interesting stuff to explore each game. Really enjoying it. My main issues are 1) its too expensive, which is whatever since I already bought it... but I feel like the $75 MSRP is going to hamper this games appeal big time. You get a ton of cardboard in the box, and I don't feel ripped off, but its a way harder sell. Especially if someone is looking at a copy of RFTG or San Juan or Puerto Rico for <$20 and wondering why they need this instead. And 2) Depending on your experience with this family of games I just don't know how much you need this. Its a fantastic distillation and iteration on a lot of things that have come before, but if youve played Puerto Rico and/or RFTG a bunch its going to feel pretty similar in a lot of ways. And again, the $75 price point weighs in there too. I could easily see preferring this to RFTG (especially multiplayer) and Puerto Rico (especially 2p), but are you going to prefer it that much where that value proposition works out? Anyway, I have it and my wife and I both really enjoy it and a bunch of people at my game group want to play it a lot more so I'm into it... but I think its a weirdly positioned game as far as who its for.

edit: Also I printed out the Knizia designed expansion for Fits and played it last night. Nothing earth shakingly different, but I just love the shit out of Fits and want to mention how great it is whenever its relevant. The new boards are definitely meaner than the original boards, which was fun. Ted Alspach designed 3 more expansion after that too but they all look like they change up the game too much for me to care about printing them out (stuff like putting letters on the board and you only score points by spelling words and weird stuff like that).
Last edit: 16 Feb 2019 13:27 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, Frohike, Gregarius, GoTeamVenture

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2019 14:53 - 17 Feb 2019 17:41 #292438 by Shellhead
Monthly boardgaming with the beer snob hipsters last night. We skipped last month because one of our December players died in January and the funeral was the weekend that we would normally play.

Eleven players, so we split into two tables. The host tried to pitch HeroQuest, but instead his table opted to play the Bob Ross: Art of Chill game. It took them four hours to play, though their table was slowed down by smoking breaks and a couple of players who got high. I didn't know this Bob Ross game existed, but here it is:

www.biggcreative.com/games/bob-ross-art-of-chill/

Our table of six played Zombicide (base game), and the game owner dribbled out the rules gradually, so I never got around to walking over and looking at the Bob Ross game. The game owner had us play a scenario that he was unfamiliar with, which gave him the chance to screw up more rules. One player's character got shot to death because another player didn't understand the line-of-sight rules. My character died because the slippery rule wasn't properly explained to me. It was okay, but not particularly better or worse than any other zombie game. The sub-genre seems to inspire mediocrity.

A couple of light gamers left, so four of us took on Room 25. We got off to a slow start, and at one point, I was forced to move into an unknown room because two other players got carried away with shifting rows and columns of the maze. I got very lucky and stepped into the Vortex Room and got sent back to the center. On the fourth turn, we got even luckier and found both the Key Room and the exit. As often happens with new players, people got carried away with shifting rows and columns around, and one player suffered a severe attack of analysis paralysis on the penultimate turn. We still managed to win on the final turn. I would love to play a non-co-op scenario some time, but so far people have found the basic co-op hard enough.

Next was Tsuro with four players. I don't normally like abstracts due to the absence of a sense of narrative but this was an engaging competitive puzzle of navigating a maze of strings while avoiding other players. One guy got confused at some point and ended up on another player's string, which shouldn't be possible. The host won.

(Several years ago, I bought Love Letter for my girlfriend as a Christmas stocking stuffer. We quickly discovered that two-player Love Letter isn't fun, and my girlfriend re-gifted the game right back to me. Three years ago, I impulsively made a re-themed version of Love Letter based on the Camarilla vampires of the World of Darkness, and have finally been playing it recently. I call my re-theme In the Court of the Prince. It's the perfect filler when playing Jyhad, when you've got three players waiting for a fourth so we can start the next game.)

The Bob Ross group wasn't finished playing yet, and we were now down to three players, so I brought out In the Court of the Prince. The host got knocked out of the game right away in the first two rounds, so she wasn't initially impressed. But eventually she staged an amazing comeback and was tied with me with four cubes each. The Bob Rossi game finally ended, and one of their players jumped into our game since her boyfriend was already playing. Turns out the game is even better with four players. I won, but it was close.

Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Feb 2019 17:41 by Shellhead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, mezike, Frohike, charlest

More
16 Feb 2019 15:06 #292440 by Shellhead
Sorry if I sound indifferent about the deceased, but the beer snob hipster boardgame group has highly variable attendees, because the hosts invite 125+ people each time. Actual attendance ranges from 6 to 12 people, and less than half are familiar faces each time. I forgot the deceased's name, but I remember that he really got my dark sense of humor when we played Cards Against Humanity in December. When the game ended, he mentioned a couple of specific cards that I played that thought should have won rounds. Nice guy, and way too young to have died. The hosts didn't mention the cause of death and I didn't ask.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
16 Feb 2019 15:41 #292443 by Shellhead
Forgot to mention that we also played two games of Spaceteam. Frantic, fun, shouty co-op about fixing a space ship during a crisis. Five-minute sand timer. We won the first game and lost the second, but had fun both games.

More
16 Feb 2019 16:20 #292447 by WadeMonnig
Due to incoming snow/ice school was called at a half day. My daughter came home and asked if her boyfriend and his buddy could come over. Once they hit the door, they informed me that his buddy, Ashton, and all of them were here to play board games (as he loves mythology in general and was interested in what he had seen with the Cyclades mini's my daughters boyfriend was painting for me).
So, as he had never played anything beyond the typical monopoly, we started with:
King of Tokyo
Sort of needed to judge his level of aptitude, he jumped right and and grasped it super easy. We did a four player game, ran it twice and he was totally into it. Joe, my daughters boyfriend game at me hard, so I opted for my Mechadragon and killed everyone...except I didn't win either game, with Joe (my daughters boyfriend) eeking out a 1 HP win after I nuked everyone from Tokyo and my daughter winning the second game.
It came up that his middle name was Arthur, named after King Arthur. Which lead to...
Tournament at Camelot
Love this trick taking melee to the death. So did everyone else. Another four player game with both of the boys focusing on me and teaming up against me as much as possible in the game...which let my daughter win the game when I used my antidote potion to give them all of the poison cards I received in the round...we all three died and she came out on top.
Cyclades
I have never, ever won a game of Cyclades. Still adore it. Neither changed in this game. This time we played with a full 5 players and I never really got my feet under me but Joy managed to get his gold engine flying fast and hard. I went back and forth battling over an island only to have my kid's Uncle Darren romp in the final round and take the island from both of us to claim his second metropolis. At the same time, my daughter Athena'ed her second Metropolis. As has happened a number of times before, it came down to a single GP difference, with my daughter winning out again.
There was talk of Kemet but my Daughter was getting tired at this point.
Instead, we finished up the night with Sonar and Stoner Parking Lot with the adults.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Shellhead, jeb, Sagrilarus, san il defanso, mezike, Frohike, charlest, BillyBobThwarton

More
16 Feb 2019 19:37 - 16 Feb 2019 21:59 #292451 by san il defanso
For the first time in a while, lots of games this weekend.

Saboteur- This has been a popular choice with my kids. We try to play with Saboteur 2, the expansion, because plain old Saboteur is not great with only 4. I'm not sure what this means, but my kids get an enormous kick out of lying and deceiving others. So this has been a great fit.

Tobago - Introduced this to some friends this weekend. I've actually gotten to play a few times since moving here and I'm continually reminded what an enjoyable, unique game this is. I think the only thing I'd like would be a way to mess with the other players more directly, but that would remove appeal for many people who like it as is. Anyway, I won this particular session after a slow start. Getting a whole treasure to yourself is hard to pull off, but that's what put me over the top.

Hanabi - I like Hanabi but definitely not because I'm good at it.

Sentinels of the Multiverse -This was my first time playing, and while I saw the appeal I was not much impressed. It might have been the specific combination of heroes and villain, or the fact that it was a two player game, but it was a bit of a slog, and a punishing one at that. I like the art and its attempt at world building, but the cardplay felt really pedestrian.

Lost Cities and Battle Line - I played both games back to back with a new player, and it was fun to reflect on their relative merits. They are both great games of course, and quite similar in structure, but it was fun to see how different they feel. There's a much more cerebral edge to Battle Line that I preferred for many years. But the risk-taking in Lost Cities is more appealing to me now. I'm just better at games like that. I also like the way both games approach their themes. They seem very abstract, but they both force you to make the kinds of decisions that you would make as a military commander or a lost city discocer-er. So I am glad to have both games in the collection.
Last edit: 16 Feb 2019 21:59 by san il defanso.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, Frohike, sornars, charlest

More
17 Feb 2019 01:09 - 17 Feb 2019 23:51 #292458 by Frohike
Sword & Sorcery

Here’s my personal rollercoaster, transcribed from my gradual comments after 6 (often very long) plays.

I started playing a couple of years ago, then parked it when the Dungeon Degenerates maelstrom hit me, along with Gloomhaven & some other non-dungeon related games. I returned to it recently and got hooked for a few more quests. It's certainly a good crawler and arguably the only game in town in some aspects, but with some reservations. I plan to complete the entire cycle, including all of the Wave 2 material.

——-

2017:

I've only played 2 sessions of the Sword & Sorcery prologue but my initial impression is guardedly favorable. If all goes well, this will be the "Descent 1st Edition Sans Overlord" game that I was seeking a few years ago, though I'm guessing that I'm in the minority here. I'm not sure many are still looking for this style of game in 2017? In the context of Gloomhaven, which effectively beat this game to the punch with zero miniatures & more content, I suspect that S&S won't make a huge splash and that's fine. I don't think there's much of a splash to be made in this corner of the genre any more.

I do, maybe perversely, enjoy the seemingly infinite recess of dice parsing in Sword & Sorcery, which I think will just cause some hair-pulling for others.

*Chucks 4 D10's*

Let's see... two hits and a surge, +1 hit because I used my non-combat action to focus, +1 hit because we're dominating the area, -1 because it's night, one hit absorbed by armor 1, but I got a surge for a crit! *draws crit counter*... Armor minus 1! ...

*Gremlin rolls two defense dice*... he blocks all but one hit.

TLDR; after mod attrition extravaganza, two die rolls, and a chit pull: 1HP damage. And that's a pretty bare-bones example.

There's lots of this, on every single turn. Add saving rolls, enemies that cause a round of defense rolls for the entire party because of AoE reactions, special powers to activate for further modifications, AI cards to verify for weapon-type resistances & other behaviors, cooldown timers to manage and... you get the idea.

The special sauce of this game is the Book of Secrets, which conceals scripted events and separates them from the main Scenario book used during setup. This adds a nice layer of surprise to compensate for the lack of exploration or branching in most of the dungeons that I've perused in the early sections of the campaign. However, while it adds to the immersion, the concealed script also guarantees a limited shelf life for the initial campaign. You can add variability by changing your party composition to keep things fresh (and each character has a lawful/chaotic ability tree, so you can try the "dark" side of a favorite), but the general flow of the scenarios will only be a surprise once.

The design also distinguishes itself with the AI, which is probably the best that I’ve seen in any dungeon crawler. Enemies hit & run, buff their groups, self-heal, heal others, stay at a distance & debuff heroes, prioritize targets beyond “uh, lowest HP smash!” And since the activation of enemies is randomized with a card draw after every hero turn, these behaviors can chain unpredictably. This soundly beats Gloomhaven in this regard, keeping you on your toes for the entirety of the skirmish.

Overall, I think the design succeeds in its goal of creating a very strong entry in this subgenre of quasi-scripted, campaign-only, dice-chucker dungeon crawls, while also demonstrating that perhaps it's time to stop chipping away at this design space. They've really mined it clean with this one.

Eh, who am I kidding. We'll keep mining it forever!

——-

2019:

I've jumped back into this a year and a half later and... while the rules resisted a quick re-absorption as I was trying to "skim" them and just get playing (hah!), I did greatly enjoy the payoff once the scenario was underway.

The Descent 1st ed flavor still sits really well with me. I've come to enjoy this slower, more methodical & tactical approach to dungeon crawling that avoids the Scylla & Charybdis of "shallow tactical race" on one side (Zombicide, Massive Darkness) and "Card Management: The RPG" on the other (Gloomhaven, Mage Knight).

The payoff lies in the deep tactical options and versatility that this style of game provides without Euro-gamifying the skill/ability selection layer and neutering the delightful, controlled chaos of polyhedral dice. I don't want my skill & equipment dashboard to be turned into a San Juan minigame, or my dice to be transformed into deckbuilding tedium, but I also don't want everything to devolve into "chuck some D6's and hit on 5-6 or get punched in the groin!" (Zombicide, Darklight, etc).

This design knows the sweet spot that some dungeon crawler veterans have been craving and stays there. It doesn't compromise in the face of some potential "fiddliness" and slowness, because newsflash: some of us think that this might be where the interesting shit in this genre resides. Not in the perpetually generic fantasy story that so many try to make engaging & interesting. Not in blitzing through speed bump enemies to hit a switch across a map before the timer runs out.

Want less upkeep? Play an RPG and don't DM. Don't want to DM but would still like to deliberate the rich set of tactical options you would normally have in RPG combat? Play this.

However, I’ve gotta say, while I have some tolerance for corniness, the writing did absolutely no favors to this game after several quests. It reads like someone struggled to meet a deadline, started a Rise of the Runelords ripoff story, then realized they were still out of ideas for dialog and started flailing with Hollywood parodies like some 12 year old composing actively bad fan fiction because they figure, hey, this is due tomorrow so might as well make it funny! With a name like Sword & Sorcery, there’s generally zero awareness of genre, & it feels more like World of Warcraft. This would be mostly fine (crawlers are almost all in this vein) if not for the additional pop culture references & discordant material like Tomb Raider, Pirates of the Caribbean, Guardians of the Galaxy, & old school Warcraft (like "Lok'Tar!" jokes, y'all). It doesn’t ruin the game for me, but the eye rolling alone brings this down half a peg.

Downgraded to 3 out of 5 stars on the TWBG scale.
Last edit: 17 Feb 2019 23:51 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith, mezike, Colorcrayons, cdennett, charlest, GorillaGrody

More
17 Feb 2019 01:24 #292459 by Gary Sax
I played exploding kittens with my spouse and brother and sister and law, we're staying together before a memorial service for a family member. An inoffensive POS. It's nutty how a half-assed card game raised this much money. And how normal people will be so forgiving of such a pathetic light game. I didn't say anything, I'm not that guy, but the idea that there are such vastly better light games out there...
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, mezike, Frohike, sornars, Gregarius, WadeMonnig

More
17 Feb 2019 12:18 #292465 by Jexik
It's 100% the art and the popularity of the comic that the artist comes from. Okay, maybe 95%, with 5% going to the name.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
17 Feb 2019 16:01 #292473 by Erik Twice
I don't think Twilight Imperium is worth it. It's fun and it has managed to keep me engaged from 11:00 to 20:00 today. But I do get the feeling there's no particular benefit to it being so long. It's not like other long games that make that lenght feel necessary. And it is a very, very long game. It's not really like 18XX or Dune, you won't clear it in one comfy evening if you don't play anything else, this one is an event-only game.

It's strange because I don't mind the lenght itself. I don't think it's too long at an engagement level. It doesn't feel the game should have less turns. It's just long in a practical sense. And I think, well, I would have been just as happy playing the one hour March of the Ants over it.

Other than that, it's fun but kind of okay. It's fun because it's one of the few "real" game of its kind that work. It's a multiplayer wargame, you build stuff, you attack other players, you fulfill objetives. There's not much filler nor anything particularly wrong with it, but there's nothing that I can point and say "this part is great". There's really nothing particularly smart about it, it's good in a workmanlike way.

The only two issues I have is that combat is...kind of slow and dull. And while PDS did not dominate this game, they were still a touch too centralizing for my taste. I think they would have been better if there weren't as many upgrades for them. You can have 3 different PDS enhancements and still be rocking the same Crusiers. I also think the game enforces itself a bit too close.

The match was fun. I started out rather poorly but managed to build a base with two PDS right next to the winner's main base. And from them I kept him in bay and managed to sneak into Mecatol Rex. We called the game with one turn to go, but I feel I had a good chance to win. I had a strong position on the board and few, if any, threats to my position. I could be kicked out of some minor systems but those don't give points so whatever. My main worry was another player racing me for the win and preventing me from getting an objective.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
17 Feb 2019 17:35 #292478 by Shellhead

Gary Sax wrote: I played exploding kittens with my spouse and brother and sister and law, we're staying together before a memorial service for a family member. An inoffensive POS. It's nutty how a half-assed card game raised this much money. And how normal people will be so forgiving of such a pathetic light game. I didn't say anything, I'm not that guy, but the idea that there are such vastly better light games out there...

I have only played Exploding Kittens once, and disliked it intensely. I have a dark sense of humor, and yet the idea of exploding kittens seemed merely stupid and not even remotely funny. The game is light, but really poor in design. I consider it one of the worst games that I have ever played, though not nearly as bad as Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
18 Feb 2019 10:07 #292511 by charlest
Quick hits:

Hellapagos impressed. First game was with six and the second person to die of water shot another guy, gained two bullets from his hand and shot two more people. Then he made me die of thirst and he sailed off on the single raft we had built. Looking forward to many more plays.

Blood Rage for the first time in a year. Oh boy it delivered as it always does.

I finally was able to try The Cave and enjoyed it. Would not play with five players again as I'd spend 5 seconds on my turn and others would spend far too long, but would seek out more plays overall.

Lost by one in Time's Up. One. Bah.

After a second play, I'm absolutely positive in my assessment of The Iron Throne being a distinctly inferior version of Cosmic. Not awful, but not even close to the genius.

Terraforming Mars is still lame. I want it to be about half as long as it is and then I'd really dig it. The prelude expansion is appreciated though.

Hellboy is a game that I can't say much about yet due to embargo, but James Hewitt is the man. I read the first issue of the graphic novel last night due mainly to enjoying the game so much.

Core Space will be in my top 3 games of the year. It's a miniatures game (with measuring) so not likely to appeal to many of the board gamers here, but hot damn it's good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, mezike, hotseatgames, Frohike

More
18 Feb 2019 10:28 - 18 Feb 2019 10:29 #292514 by Jackwraith

charlest wrote: Hellapagos impressed. First game was with six and the second person to die of water shot another guy, gained two bullets from his hand and shot two more people. Then he made me die of thirst and he sailed off on the single raft we had built. Looking forward to many more plays.

I so want to try this and it's really inexpensive by modern standards. I keep thinking it would be a cool icebreaking game to get people into more games because it's kind of raucous fun, rather than rules-heavy.

charlest wrote: After a second play, I'm absolutely positive in my assessment of The Iron Throne being a distinctly inferior version of Cosmic. Not awful, but not even close to the genius.

Speaking of icebreaking... I picked up a copy of this to try to snare some of my GoT fan friends and as a gateway (ahem) to Cosmic and beyond. But, yeah, it's really just subpar all the way around.

charlest wrote: Terraforming Mars is still lame. I want it to be about half as long as it is and then I'd really dig it. The prelude expansion is appreciated though.

Exactly our reaction in the three plays we've had. Everyone raves about it! It has a half-dozen expansions! It's one of THE games known by the outside world. But every time we play, it has that multiplayer solitaire thing going on and it's mostly about number-crunching, rather than playing a game. We got it for cheap at an FLGS event, so I don't think my girlfriend will be that concerned if I put it on the trade list.
Last edit: 18 Feb 2019 10:29 by Jackwraith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest, Gregarius

More
18 Feb 2019 12:21 #292532 by Legomancer
this weekend's games:

Fox in the Forest - not a complete game; we were waiting for others to show up. Two player trick taking games are hard, but this one totally works. Easy peasy and a lot of fun.

Terraforming Mars - Our group loves it, myself included. This was one player's 200th game and my 48th. I always have a good time, even when things just aren't happening for me. We played with everything, though I really dislike the Colonies expansion. I want to make a deck just for Base + Prelude and whatever Venus and Colonies cards don't require those expansions in play.

Cobras - Another great trick taking game. No trump suit, no weirdo special powers, the only hitch is timing when you want to take tricks and when you don't.

Crisis - here's what I wrote about it elsewhere:

====
I heard about this on a podcast [Calvin on Ding and Dent] and was intrigued. I'd thought about backing it when it was originally kickstarted, but it was too expensive for an unknown quantity. Having heard very positive things about it, I jumped into the pledge manager for the expansion KS and just got the base game.

It's an economic game in which an economic union, not the EU, has forced austerity measures on one of its member countries (not Greece), because capitalism requires winners and losers and sucks if you're deemed a loser. Anyway, you're trying to succeed in bolstering the economy.

We played on the Easy level, which may have been TOO Easy. Money was extremely tight in the beginning and one player made a $1 mistake that snowballed on him. We got several punishing events in a row that especially hit that one player. He had to take a couple loans early on. I lagged far behind others on the VP track. Yet, by round 4 we were all humming along and ended up in the same area. The exception was the player who got his engine (and a VP engine at that) going first, who outpaced the rest of us by 50 points.

It seems that the businesses that generate VPs directly are simply better than the ones that generate goods. Why bother making and selling minerals if you can go directly to VPs?

I don't know that anyone was wowed, and I think a couple of people were anti-wowed. I want to play again, but I really didn't see the wonder that I had heard about.

How eager am I to play again? Hoping further plays will unlock a reason for even further plays. If I didn't own it, I can't say I'd be itching for more.

Is this something I'd like to own? I bought it. We'll see if it's a keeper.

Rating after first play? 4

====

Seems like those playing would like to try it again, so we'll give it another go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
18 Feb 2019 13:53 #292539 by the_jake_1973
I've been teaching a guy at work how to play TechnoBowl. It feels great to get the game off the shelf and played.

During the last game, I was able to break a run outside for a TD. During his possession, he was able to throw into double coverage at an even roll and it came up boxcars. I had adjusted earlier in the down to drop back and was able to tackle the receiver after the 50.

I look forward to trying the Automa rules for solo play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, hotseatgames, Frohike, Gregarius

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 2.441 seconds