October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2658 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
01 May 2014 10:41 #177126 by Secret Satan

Legomancer wrote: Oh and I played another goddamn Ticket to Ride game. Netherlands. It was, you won't be surprised to hear, another goddamn Ticket to Ride game, speaking of shit people still can't get enough of.

I know what someone is getting for xmas this year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer, Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2014 10:07 #177262 by Legomancer
Another SeaFall session last night. I named my ships!

It's coming together, and things are less in flux than they have been. It's now an exploration game that has combat (which didn't happen last night) instead of a combat game with exploration. There's a really fun "timeline" feature that brings a sense of continuity to the campaign. This one game we're playing, despite being part of a connected campaign, has been played over some major rules revisions, so it's hard right now to see the arc of the game. From here out, this should be happenin less often.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Grudunza, VonTush, Black Barney, SuperflyPete, airmarkus

More
02 May 2014 10:18 #177265 by Black Barney
It'll be funny when your Darjeeling Limited basically just sinks coming straight out of drydock.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer, SuperflyPete, charlest

More
02 May 2014 12:02 #177282 by SuperflyPete

Black Barney wrote: It'll be funny when your Darjeeling Limited basically just sinks coming straight out of drydock.

It's hard to fight when you're armed only with Bottle Rockets.

More
02 May 2014 12:07 - 02 May 2014 12:12 #177283 by VonTush

SuperflyTNT wrote:

Black Barney wrote: It'll be funny when your Darjeeling Limited basically just sinks coming straight out of drydock.

It's hard to fight when you're armed only with Bottle Rockets.

Unless you out Mr Fox them.
Da-Dum-Ching

EDIT: This is the sound I heard after I hit "submit"
Last edit: 02 May 2014 12:12 by VonTush.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Space Ghost

More
02 May 2014 13:41 #177287 by Legomancer
You all lose out to my friend Bryan who commented, "You're ready for The Life Aquatic"

More
02 May 2014 13:57 #177288 by Black Barney
You guys are all ruining my clever post! I was making a MENSA-level analogy at how a disappointing film would fare as a ship in terms of seaworthiness, and the rest of you are just making pedestrian puns.

....the Price is Right losing music is bang-on, tho.

More
02 May 2014 18:00 #177305 by Da Bid Dabid
Barney not everyone can put together such spot on posts without sitting around thinking about it till Moonrise... Kingdom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
03 May 2014 14:41 #177344 by DukeofChutney
Played two games of netrunner using my Cube decks, won both a little surprisingly. I got a bit of luck on the draw but both decks worked pretty well again. My runner deck was built around stealth cards and damage absorption. It works very economically once its up and running, which is a little slow. Nearly got blown away after the corp hit me for 6 tags in a turn :(. But i paid em off and was luck that he didn't have urban renewal in hand.

Played Yomi. Has this been reprinted? My friend picked it up in our flgs. This is a good game, but one that I wont want to play much. I am not very good at rock paper scissors, and whilst the game has a lot more skill to it than RPS i find it very frustrating to play. It seems to be a very tight thematic design and it is sort of fun pulling off a combo but its a bit too in your face.

More
03 May 2014 18:07 #177352 by Disgustipater
Got to try out my freshly finished Ascending Empires board today. Worked very well. It's nice to be able to flick long distances without having to worry about hitting the seams. The whole time building it I kept thinking the orbits were way too stark-looking, but I didn't even notice when we were actually playing.

I didn't do so great, only 18 points finishing third (25-23-18-11). It felt like a weird game, but I'm thinking that is due to the green player deciding to play the role of Space Asshole right off the bat. Basically blockading and attacking everyone he could. The two planets adjacent to his homeworld remained unexplored when the game ended. But all in all it was fun as usual.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Legomancer, Jackwraith, scrumpyjack

More
03 May 2014 18:27 #177353 by DukeofChutney

More
03 May 2014 22:23 #177358 by charlest
Played an intense game of X-Wing with 4 players. I took Rebs with another player, and we were up against a slightly experienced Imperial player and a guy who had never played X-Wing before. We had 2 B-Wings, an A-Wing, and Jan Ors in the HWK-290. Imps had 5 TIEs and a TIE Bomber. We won although a couple of close turns were nail-biting. The A-Wing ended up taking down two and a half TIEs and held the flank on its own (Assault Missile was phenomenal). Jan Ors was the MVP, flying slowly up the middle and staying in range of all allies, offering an extra attack die each round. Jan also killed a TIE at range 3 with her 1 measly attack die. Fun game, haven't played since before Wave 3 came out and I almost forgot how much I love it.

Then we played a 4 player game of Eclipse. We threw in the Alien Homeworlds as well as the extra Techs from the expansion. Normally we play with Developments as well but we had a new player so didn't want to get too crazy. I was dominating early/mid game but peaked at turn 6. Everyone else ganged up on me and I couldn't hold the line. Ended up being a close finish and the new guy actually won. It had been nearly a year since we played this and it feels really good getting back into it. We need to play it more as it's one of our favorites.

More
04 May 2014 08:35 #177367 by Legomancer
Had a game of Theseus with the Space Station promo cards. They're a little vague and we had to make some rulings. I was Greys and he was Space Marines and I got my ass handed to me. Couldn't get upgrade tokens fast enough, couldn't get anything worthwhile installed, and he had an upgrade engine I couldn't shut down. When he put down a Fire and slapped 6 upgrade tokens on it, it was all over.

The a 3-player Clash of Cultures game. I want to like that one, I really do, but it just doesn't grab me. Once again, the plans I had for the game were wrecked when another player decided we were going to play Risk instead. He parked four units outside my city and I had to move all my energy towards matching him militarily. He wasn't doing anything except making soldiers, so he was essentially just ensuring that the third player won, which is exactly what happened. I also got some awful objectives in the first half of the game, ended up fulfilling maybe three total, because nothing I drew was "don't do anything except keep your city from being taken."

More
04 May 2014 14:23 - 04 May 2014 14:25 #177380 by Gary Sax
4 games of Agricola, the family rules. As expected, it is a big hit with my wife. So I think I'll probably be playing a lot of worker placement in the next year or so, which I actually don't mind too much. It's not my favorite type of game but there's a part of me that enjoys the economic engine stuff. And it's certainly more fun to play a game with my wife than for us to zonk out on the couch and watch a TV show or whatever.

Amazing what happens when you stop being a selfish prick and actually buy games that the person you're playing with would almost certainly enjoy. I started doing it 3-4 months ago, coops and worker placement. No need to try to jam a square peg into a round hole.
Last edit: 04 May 2014 14:25 by Gary Sax.

More
04 May 2014 17:42 #177389 by Sagrilarus
Trashfest Mid-Aantic brought me the opportunity to spill French and English blood to excess, playing Quebec 1759, Richard III and Maria.

Quebec 1759 is a super quick block game and I got crushed as the French. My dice were stuck on ones and twos for the majority of the game, and the guy I was playing earned the nickname Boxcar Wayne, because he was able to roll sixes on demand for the entire day. We'd hand him a die at dinner, he'd throw a six. It was unholy.

Seeing low dice rolls I went for Richrd III where low rolls pay, and my trend continued. House Lancaster held the throne the entire game and careful consolidation let me deal big damage to my opponent. Holding the throne meant I could play defense where my dice rolled first, and it was rare they didn't take a toll. One of those games where you apologize for your luck.

Finally, Maria, which I hadn't played since WBC 2011. Truly a unique, impressive game. Masterful design. If you get the chance you have to play and don't let the initial appearance intimidate you. Once you get things rolling the rules disappear and you just play naturally. Simply one of the most impressive games I've ever played. I was the Prussians and Pragmatics and coasted to a win after the Austrians and Frence became too entangled to extract themselves from each other without mutual destruction. After I showed the ability to roll into weakened territory without fear of reprisal they agreed to concession, more due to their bloodied states than anything I had done. Excellent gaming.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hatchling

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 2.299 seconds