× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

Re: What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
10 Jun 2019 11:33 #298197 by RobertB
Game day #2 this weekend - met some coworkers for Blood Rage. I reviewed what I knew about the game, they all watched How To Play videos, and learning went pretty smoothly. The big hurdle I've found, in my vast three plays experience, is in the cards. Nobody at the table was sure about what might be in the draft and had to read every card, myself included. We had the 5-player expansion, and used it. I won with a little bit of everything; got some quests, boosted some skills for points, got some Ragnarok, etc. This might be what a winning game strategy looks like? Like I said, vast three plays experience.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, charlest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2019 09:40 - 11 Jun 2019 09:41 #298233 by charlest
Been a busy few weeks.

Pax Pamir 2e continues to flourish. Love it and it's edged out Core Space as my current top release of 2019.

We're chugging along in Middara. Out of the MAST intro series of quests and into chapter 1. It's an enjoyable game and has a unique feel, but the mechanisms are relatively standard and it's nothing that's absolutely special or a hallmark in the genre. The massive amount of content and huge storyline is the selling point. It's a game that's built upon its own foundation of excess and wants to bludgeon you over the head with sheer weight. I enjoy it enough and some in my group really love it (likely due to the JRPG setting), so I'm reluctant to sell it. Otherwise it'd probably be gone.

We broke out Duhr for two games after many months. Very enjoyable, including a game with no villains (four out of five players ended up disfavored).

Res Arcana continues to be a hit. I've now tried the drafting variant and I prefer the randomized draw. I really enjoy the feel of receiving a random selection of cards and attempting to make them work.

Doodle Quest is neat. It suffers from that description of being more of an activity than a game, but it's creative and fun.

I had a hell of a game of Rebellion where I totally rocked the Rebels. I executed my standard strategy of spreading far and wide, utilizing 90% of my actions simply to move. The Rebel player really needs to launch a massive insurgency as a counter and strike repeatedly against the weakest fleets to curb this strategy. They didn't do that and ultimately didn't accomplish enough objectives to keep me from winning on turn 6.

I've played a single game of Gods War and enjoyed it very much. It does some things better than Cthulhu Wars, some things worse. It's much more open with movement being easier and larger armies being quicker to summon. I kind of hate the Great Compromise though - a phase of the game that replaces the Rituals of Annihilation by allowing a single player to spend half of their power for the turn to award descending VP to each player. It works as an artificial constraint to keep scores closer for those falling behind, but it feels really awkward and undermines the play that takes place on the board to some degree. The fact that a close game can be decided by the final Great Compromise is also egregious, despite the fact that you have some control over trying to gain the most power so you can exercise the compromise yourself.

The map is also overly busy and the game's a tad heavier than CW, mostly due to elements that emulate the Glorantha setting. It would be a more difficult learn for someone not familiar with CW. It's not nearly as streamlined or lean.

I'd like to play it a lot more and it would be one of my favorite games most likely if Cthulhu Wars didn't exist. But CW does so it's a little murky.

Oh, and it's not a board game but Golf is amazing. I started playing two months ago and am totally hooked. Played five rounds so far and hit up the driving range several times.
Last edit: 11 Jun 2019 09:41 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, RobertB, lj1983, WadeMonnig, Vysetron, n815e

More
11 Jun 2019 09:56 #298234 by Michael Barnes
Charlie has either hit middle age, made VP, or both.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, charlest, n815e

More
11 Jun 2019 10:31 #298237 by hotseatgames

Michael Barnes wrote: Charlie has either hit middle age, made VP, or both.

Vice-President of Jack Shit

/death stranding
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, charlest, Vysetron

More
11 Jun 2019 11:29 - 11 Jun 2019 11:31 #298240 by RobertB

charlest wrote: Oh, and it's not a board game but Golf is amazing. I started playing two months ago and am totally hooked. Played five rounds so far and hit up the driving range several times.

Golf is amazing. My wife and I used to play all the time, before our daughter took up all of our golfing time. The Golf Marketing God will give you just enough good shots to keep you coming back for more.

I think a lot of non-golfers have an image of golf as The Masters, where you're all dressed up in ugly clothes, and are followed around by a caddy lugging a ginormous golf bag. It can be like that. But the way we played it, it was the local muni course, we're in shorts and a t-shirt, and pulling our clubs around on a little pull cart.

@charlest - if you have any nearby, try a local par-3 course. They'll be cheaper, and play faster. A great way to work on your short game, and at this time of year you could get 18 holes in at a par-3 after work before dark.
Last edit: 11 Jun 2019 11:31 by RobertB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, charlest

More
11 Jun 2019 11:48 - 11 Jun 2019 11:52 #298241 by charlest
Thanks for the advice, there is a small par 3 course nearby my house actually.

Golf not being like the Masters is a funny thing. I started playing because a group of friends invited me on a weekend trip where we played 3 rounds (54 holes!) in two days. It was a very quick introduction to the sport. We drank quite a bit on the course and even had a bluetooth speaker blaring music for most of it.

I had just enough good shots and we used my ball (scramble, best ball) enough times to boost my confidence and hook me as you said.

Played twice last week while in Michigan on vacation and sank a 60 yard chip. Wish I was playing right now.
Last edit: 11 Jun 2019 11:52 by charlest.

More
11 Jun 2019 22:35 #298256 by DarthJoJo
Finally got in some games that weren't the Arkham Horror LCG. Played Morels with my mom and Sturgeon with her and my dad once she goaded him into it. I always enjoy Morels when I have the chance, but I don't play it so often because Jaipur exists and is just that little bit tighter and faster. Don't bother looking out for Sturgeon. I bought it for a dollar as a joke for my dad, and it's worth about that much.

Followed it up a few days later with We Need to Talk and Bumúntú, both 2019 releases, at the local store's weekly meetup. We Need to Talk is a party game setting the players in an intervention for a friend. The Intervenee is trying to guess their problem as the Interveners talk around it through rounds built on the phrases "We need to talk about...", "It makes me feel...", and "You could try..." Pretty solid as long you're not paying too much attention to the scoring. Probably true of all games of the ilk. Bumúntú was a pleasant surprise. A pure abstract with an African set dressing, you move around the board picking up tiles of different animals that force you to consider the present in what abilities you want now, the near future in what movement you want next turn and the distant future in what your end game scoring options are. Very tactical but also demanding you pay attention to your opponents' movements as there are plenty of opportunities to mess with them. Rated way too low on BoardGameGeek.

More
13 Jun 2019 07:05 #298325 by Legomancer
Deep Sea Adventure is a lot of fun!
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Vysetron

More
13 Jun 2019 08:29 #298331 by Vysetron
Moist Oink games (largely because I haven't played 'em all) are! Startups is my favorite, but DSA is really realy good.

More
13 Jun 2019 08:33 #298333 by mezike
We refer to it fondly around here as “Deep Sea Assholes”

Really dig Startups as well, also Fake Artist, but wasn’t enamoured with Troll or In A Grove. Insider is fun but, like Fake Artist, you don’t actually need the game itself to play.

More
13 Jun 2019 09:03 #298336 by Ah_Pook
Insider is great, way better than werewords imo. I also really love Dungeon of Mandom (I had the original, then got DoM VIII which includes the expansion stuff that was developed for Welcome Back To The Dungeon). The only other one I've tried was Troika, which was a really not great little set collection game. I do really want to try Startups, which looks just lovely

More
13 Jun 2019 09:11 #298337 by Vysetron
Startups is one of the best small box card games ever made. No hyperbole. It hooks everyone I've played it with and works well, if differently, at every player count (3-7). It just gets better the more you play it, and it plays fast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
13 Jun 2019 09:36 #298342 by Gary Sax
Such a weird resurgence in ocean games all the sudden.

Just looked at the game site. Interesting presentation.

More
13 Jun 2019 17:37 - 13 Jun 2019 17:47 #298368 by Ah_Pook
Tried the first scenario of Field Commander: Napoleon today, which seems really neat. Have to recheck the rules because I decimated it, but it was the intro scenario so maybe it's just easy? The systems are fun though. The board play is simple and impactful, and the battle side board with Battle plans and whatnot is really cool. Really looking forward to digging into more of the scenarios here.

Edit: for context, it's a Solitaire war game from DVG. Part of a series that includes Alexander, Rommel, and Nimitz as well. I've read this one has the best battles, and Rommel has the best board play, but I can't really say. There's 7 mounted boards in this box and 11 scenarios spread across them though so plenty to play with here before exploring further.
Last edit: 13 Jun 2019 17:47 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, Vysetron

More
14 Jun 2019 09:11 #298379 by Vysetron
So. Champions of Hara. Been playing it lately. It confuses me. As a result my thoughts are unorganized.

It says it's an adventure game, but I don't think it follows a single genre convention. The default game mode is just 2-4 players romping around the map for about an hour killing monsters and each other to fill some meters, then returning home before anyone else. The core is a rather clever hand management mechanism where cards played from the hand rotate and become an"on-board" version with a similar but different effect, for use on a future turn. It makes turns really snappy, but there's still plenty of choices in where you go and how you get there.

What's weird is when it pulls a reverse-Zimby Mojo, because when the game winning character makes one of two wishes that backfires somehow. This triggers a scenario in the back of the rulebook that's usually a co-op against a big corrupted baddie. That's the true ending. There are also solo scenarios, though so far I haven't been impressed with those.

The game is mechanically very solid and straightforward to play, but I don't get it yet. It's so alien to anything I know structurally. You play a weird skirmish game that's pretty fun, then switch gears to a co-op scenario with widely varied rules for the finale? I mentioned Zimby Mojo earlier which does the reverse, but it works in ZM because you know what's going to happen as soon as everyone kills the king. Here it can be any of the character scenarios, and there's two options depending on who wins, and the scenarios could have all sorts of win conditions, and most confusingly your meters RESET immediately after the first half. You're functionally back at level 1. It just feels tacked on, and I feel like the game is better played if you just pick a scenario if you want a co-op or just play the competitive game and end it there.

I appreciate Greenbrier's commitment to weird shit. Grimslingers was similarly wonky. This is a lot smoother, but I'm still not quite there yet with Hara.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mezike

Moderators: Gary SaxFrohike
Time to create page: 0.447 seconds