October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
19 Nov 2019 15:55 #304363 by Sagrilarus
Plays of Acquire and Wings for the Baron last night. Best game night in years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, lj1983, Nodens, WadeMonnig, Ah_Pook, Vysetron, n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2019 19:38 #304372 by WadeMonnig
Played Modern Art over the weekend. Had a blockbuster first round and doubled my money. Gathered up all the cards to start round two... and realized my mistake of gathering up ALL the cards, including those not played in everyone's hand. . My wife declared the first round null and void. *face palm* I did manage to actually win the game. So all is good. I guess.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
20 Nov 2019 10:03 #304381 by Sagrilarus

Sagrilarus wrote: Plays of Acquire and Wings for the Baron last night. Best game night in years.

You know, I'm going to come at this a second time. There was a third game in the mix, called Visitor in Blackwood Grove that we played between the other two. It was truly an amateur attempt at creating a usable product. Thematically a mess in spite of its attempt to mimic the film ET, it failed in rules execution and in the specific cards that came into play in our particular game, because of vagueness in the main goal. This as you might expect came from a Kickstarter title that clearly did not have any sort of significant review before being put to cardboard. It was short so you don't really give a damn (and we won't play again) but it's just a sign that so much of the industry is phoning it in because you can make money phoning it in. There is no significant incentive to create quality product when quality campaign is the money-driver in the scenario. The result is that stuff (Kickstarter or otherwise) that deserves a bit of our attention gets drowned out, or gets less funding because the money is spent on these pre-landfill titles.

In the shadow of Acquire, and then overshadowed by WftB it was so forgettable that I failed to even consider it when I posted above.

I've been reluctant to complain about Kickstarter lately because, frankly, the hobby IS Kickstarter now. It is so entangled with gaming that you can't separate them. But Monday evening was such a stark reminder of the difference between the two design paradigms, traditional and new, that I had to speak to it. I make it a point to be pretty selective about what I buy, but what I play is largely up to other people.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, HiveGod, mezike, DarthJoJo

More
20 Nov 2019 13:53 #304391 by Vysetron
Ok, I was wrong and y'all were right. Cthulhu Wars is amazing.

There's so much more here than initially meets the eye once you actually know how everything works. I love asymmetric factions and these might be some of the best I've ever seen. I don't know if it's got the depth Root has, but it's also a lot easier to teach.

We landed a copy with extra factions for a good bit less than it normally costs just so we could play it whenever we want. Consider the Koolaid drank.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Rliyen, Gary Sax, Jackwraith, hotseatgames, cdennett, charlest, WadeMonnig, Ah_Pook, n815e

More
20 Nov 2019 15:02 #304394 by Jackwraith

Vysetron wrote: Consider the Koolaid drank.

Purple drank! (appropriately enough.)

I had the same hesitation you did at first glance, but after playing a couple times, I was all in. I mean, not "all in" as far as different maps and all the neutral stuff since I have no money at the moment and might not be inclined to spend THAT much even when I did, but I knew there was some great game lurking there. As with so many things, I just wish there was more opportunity to play and mix factions around (and maybe run into someone who has the other maps...)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, WadeMonnig, Vysetron

More
20 Nov 2019 17:54 #304398 by Erik Twice
I played Tapestry and had fun. I doubt it's a great game or anything, but it was fun, unlike every other "tracks" game I've played. We'll see.

I also played German Railways, which is incredibly counter-intuitive and I love it for that reason.

More
20 Nov 2019 19:09 #304401 by WadeMonnig

Vysetron wrote: Ok, I was wrong and y'all were right. Cthulhu Wars is amazing.

Dug up my post from this very thread:

17 Mar 2019 01:55
What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?
Category: Mos Eisley Cantina

Stop the presses! Cthulhu Wars is legit fantastic! What? Everyone already knew that? Oh...carry on then.

a.k.a. Welcome to the party, pal!
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Vysetron

More
21 Nov 2019 08:49 #304416 by Michael Barnes
What newer players often don’t grasp about Vagabond is how they work contextually. That is exactly their MO- lay low, scheme, and surprise- they won. I describe Vagabond as the Yojimbo role in the game.

Cosmic Frog is classic Jim Felli. I have a late stage prototype and I am really digging it, no surprise. It is easily his most accessible design, but it is also his weirdest. I’ll write more later as some of it is subject to change, but it is well on its way to greatness. I can assure you that you have never played a game like it. It’s closest comparative is actually Hey, That’s My Fish. But with the ability for a giant world-eating psychedelic frog to punch another of their kind into another dimension.

Well that’s all for now, time to play some Aeon’s End!
The following user(s) said Thank You: xthexlo, Ah_Pook, Vysetron

More
21 Nov 2019 10:20 #304420 by Gary Sax
I've made the controvesial decision of moving all root strategy discussion to the Root thread. I want someone to be able to read all these great posts someday.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, WadeMonnig, DarthJoJo

More
21 Nov 2019 14:51 #304426 by DarthJoJo
Hosted a Game of Thrones LCG tournament this past Saturday. Fourteen people showed up. Basically everyone I hoped would make it out. Not the largest but pretty decent for a game winding down. Two players who'd been out of the game for the past few years even showed up.

Ran a Tyrell deck that leveraged a new plot that set every character's strength to three. There are some obvious counterplays and uses for this plot, but I was excited that it made a lot of old Tyrell strength-based tricks viable. In any case I made the top four, losing twice to the eventual runner-up and once to the champion. Lot of close matches, lots of fun. I'll be sorry when the game is done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Gary Sax, Msample, sornars, Erik Twice

More
21 Nov 2019 22:50 - 22 Nov 2019 07:12 #304439 by Ah_Pook
Had some friends over today, played some solid games.

First up, Pandemic . I hadnt played the original version of Pandemic in quite a while. One of the guys had never played it and requested it, so we played a few games back to back and lost both through some brutal runaway chaining outbreaks. I'm a big fan, and everyone enjoyed it. Not much to say about it i guess. We used the virulent strain epidemic cards from On The Brink, which are a fun way to inject some difficulty into the game.

Then we played Adrenaline , which I picked up for $10 from a guy a little while ago and had only played Solo a times so far. It's fun Solo, also! It's an area control game where the players are the areas, and they're trying to control you right back. Each turn poses just the right amount of tactical puzzle in how to maximize your damage output/get damage onto the right players, while staying light and breezy. There's tons of different weapons that combo together in fun ways. It's just a real solid fun little tactical game about shooting your friends in the face.

Edit: my main opponent and I also went through the rules for all the advanced base game ships and the stuff from the first expansion for Space Empires 4x, in preparation for our next game of it hopefully this weekend or next week. We set up and played the first couple rounds of a game, but the third guy showed up an hour earlier than he had originally planned so we didn't get that far into it. Just enough to whet our appetites for a full game. I'm excited! This game is really really fun!
Last edit: 22 Nov 2019 07:12 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens, BillyBobThwarton

More
22 Nov 2019 23:40 #304483 by mc
Magical Athlete

That is all. Except, thanks guys. This one is pretty much taking over the house. Oh. And, I'm starting to get that "dealing with losing" issue, or more to the point "why are you picking on me" issue, with the youngest especially. Not bad or anything, just, a little more pronounced. This game is killing that. It's great. They just like the stupid fun and the characters, and I think that's translating elsewhere. Why are you picking on me? You're in front, dumbass!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mezike, hotseatgames, sornars, Gregarius, Nodens, BillyBobThwarton, Ah_Pook, Vysetron

More
23 Nov 2019 17:07 - 23 Nov 2019 22:37 #304488 by WadeMonnig
Example #12,546 of "I always get at least one rule wrong (TM Pending)".

After a 5 player game of Western Legends ended last night, I finally realized that there is a hard cap of $120 on the cash you can carry. That does have an impact on my recent plays because we have had a couple of "Epic parties" raking in 5 LP with this last one triggering end game. Oops.
Last edit: 23 Nov 2019 22:37 by WadeMonnig.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
23 Nov 2019 19:25 #304489 by ubarose
@Wade

We also had some trouble with that on our first time playing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Turek, WadeMonnig

More
24 Nov 2019 15:15 #304501 by southernman
Some long sessions of Sword & Sorcery: Immortal Souls as we move through the Arcane Portal side-quest campaign that have bloody long (compared to the main campaign), and tough, quests - so far all have been 6+hrs. We just finished the penultimate quest, Hellraiser, after our third attempt at it - our group of four chose characters they liked the look of rather than the required balanced party so we have no tank and thus the party has trouble staying alive :whistle: ... still lots of fun, one of the best games in the genre out there.

Played over a night and afternoon so finished off the day with Legendary Encounters: Firefly and the three of us were beaten by the end of the second of three episodes. I have this one, X-Files and Aliens and they are all good fun but usually pretty tough/impossible to beat - no mechanic to thin out your basic cards during the game, we have played a houserule sometimes that if you use a Talent card you can burn a basic card.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.124 seconds