October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
24 Feb 2020 21:47 - 24 Feb 2020 21:49 #307441 by boothwah
I played a 4 player game of Clash of Cultures yesterday. 180 minutes it says on the box. Hah.

I want a medal or something. Something that says, "James never has to play Clash of Cultures again."
Last edit: 24 Feb 2020 21:49 by boothwah.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look, Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2020 01:40 #307444 by Frohike
Lemme guess... 1 hour per player?

More
25 Feb 2020 11:17 - 25 Feb 2020 11:22 #307448 by Josh Look

boothwah wrote: I played a 4 player game of Clash of Cultures yesterday. 180 minutes it says on the box. Hah.

I want a medal or something. Something that says, "James never has to play Clash of Cultures again."

You’re not missing out. Like Merchants & Marauders, it’s a very, very overrated game. It’s got more DOAM elements than most Civ games and the Civ elements range from tedious to typical. It’s fine, but there’s nothing noteworthy about it and I don’t find that its various parts equal to anything great.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2020 11:22 by Josh Look.

More
25 Feb 2020 16:17 - 25 Feb 2020 16:18 #307466 by Sagrilarus
Last night's game night --

Dungeon Drop -- Kickstarter dreck. Played once, won't get played again, $46 with the fancy bag upgrade. Not my money, an idea for a game with zero development effort.

Five Crowns -- interesting twist on Gin Rummy that plays quickly in spite of going 12 rounds. Very much enjoyed.

Aquire -- excellent as usual, in spite of it being on the old 3M copy with the color issues. I preferred getting trounced at this to winning at Dungeon Plop

The Adventurers Temple of Chac -- whole lotta fun to close the night, but one son of a bitch cleaned out the river treasures after everyone jumped in. My game of the year when it came out, still making happy people a decade later.

Very enjoyable game night.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2020 16:18 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Ah_Pook

More
25 Feb 2020 17:05 #307468 by boothwah

Frohike wrote: Lemme guess... 1 hour per player?

And it is a bad game. Like a really bad game. I have no idea why they included army figures in the box. Combat is such a rare occurance and is so costly. I have seen or participated in 3 games, and have yet to see the winning strategy be anything other than "sit in the corner of the board and focus on filling out your techs and generating enough resources to build wonders as soon as possible."

The fact that it takes so long to play, while leaving game ending variance as a "feature" (i.e. Famine event was pulled four consecutive times over 2 turns before one player had a chance to do anything) that can effectively put a player in a position to be out of a long game on turn 6 or 7 of 18, is an unforgivable design sin. In each game, I've played and watched, at least one player was effectively hobbled by poor event pulls / drawing only worthless combat actions, and was effectively out of the game by the end of the 2nd status check, obvious to all, and was forced to zombie on for an interminable amount of time.

Have a LAN party and play some Civ - or load it up on the Xbox and play online - This is not the experience you were looking for.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
25 Feb 2020 17:05 #307469 by Gary Sax
I need to try Temple, it was the Big Thing back in the day but I never got around to it. Sounds like the type of thing I'd like.

More
25 Feb 2020 20:14 #307478 by JoelCFC25
Played ARCTIC SCAVENGERS twice at the group on Saturday night. I guess I'm not particularly keen on deckbuilders generally--didn't strike me as one I'd go out of my way to play again.

My daughter and I started a game of SPACE BASE over the weekend but she abandoned it to go read a book after about 10 turns. We hadn't got back to it, so I asked her last night at bedtime if she wanted to keep going. In response I got an exaggerated sigh and "what IS it with you and games, anyway?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, dysjunct, ChristopherMD, lj1983, Frohike, sornars, Varys, BillyBobThwarton, Ah_Pook

More
25 Feb 2020 20:46 #307479 by Gary Sax
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, Ah_Pook

More
25 Feb 2020 22:48 #307480 by dysjunct
Man, if I knew the answer to that, a lot of things would fall into place I bet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoelCFC25, Frohike, birdman37, sornars

More
26 Feb 2020 00:40 #307482 by boothwah

JoelCFC25 wrote: Played ARCTIC SCAVENGERS twice at the group on Saturday night. I guess I'm not particularly keen on deckbuilders generally--didn't strike me as one I'd go out of my way to play again.

We played it twice this weekend, too. Weird. We had the base set + 2 expansions bundle. I can safely say it was "solved" after the second playthrough. I like deckbuilders, and it was fun to solve it, but it's kind of half baked. And that was with expacs, which tried to get some mileage out if its screwy threshold resource system, that makes having big numbers in any but one of the resources meaningless. We all wanted to like it better than Dominion, because generic Arctic Merc Tribes > generic European middle ages buildings and titles. But we didn't.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, Frohike

More
26 Feb 2020 06:12 #307485 by Ah_Pook
It's deck builder season I guess.

I played Aeons End there times back to back yesterday with a friend. Easy win against Hollow Crown where we never felt particularly threatened to start. Crushing loss against Wraithmonger that took like 10 minutes next. The first Nemesis card that came out was a minion with an Unleash affect, and it took us too long to get rid of it. Lack of high damage spells in the market didn't help either. We lost by taking the last terror tile. It was brutal, but I was glad to find a difficulty level that felt more correct. We ran it back with the same mages and one tweak to the market (swapping a 5 cost spell for a different 5 cost spell) and eked out a win that felt great. Gravehold was on 7 life, one of us was exhausted and the other of us had 2 life left. Friend had the mage that upgrades your 1+2 breaches to be +2dmg per cast which helped a lot with the low dmg stuff available. I thinned my deck down to 10 cards and was cycling Scorch and Fiery Torrent for big chunks of damage. Very satisfying to win the salty runback.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, DarthJoJo

More
26 Feb 2020 22:34 #307524 by boothwah
So the guy that owns Clash just sent me a pic of his latest arrival : Seafall. FML.

I've read a number of reviews, and it sounds... not great. How hard should I duck this?

More
26 Feb 2020 22:48 - 26 Feb 2020 22:49 #307525 by Gary Sax
I don't think I've heard anyone on this site say a good thing about Seafall. There is an extended thread on someone's play sessions of Seafall around here somewhere and it sounds *dire.*
Last edit: 26 Feb 2020 22:49 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
26 Feb 2020 23:36 - 26 Feb 2020 23:39 #307528 by Ah_Pook
I haven't played it but I have literally never heard anyone anywhere speak well of Seafall.

I tried Maracaibo tonight, which is the big new Eurogame by the designer is Great Western Trail. It uses a similar rondel as GWT, but replaces the cow deck building with a big deck of multiuse cards. There's an area majority aspect, there's tableau building, there's just a lot of stuff. Lots of forward planning based on how far you're going to go each turn and making sure you have the stuff you need at each step. It was neat, but it was exhausting. 4p game, everyone's first time, took us 4.5 hours with the teach. And that's solid crunching on Eurogame stuff the entire time. I enjoyed it but it's maybe a bit more than I want most of the time. Everyone went different directions and scores were pretty close barring the one guy who's a savant. 213-183-179-171. If you're looking for a beast it's worth a shot. I liked it more than GWT, but I never played GWT all that much. It's also weirdly got a story mode, where the board changes game to game and there are story cards and events and stuff. I'm curious about that, it just seems wildly out of place.
Last edit: 26 Feb 2020 23:39 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, Frohike

More
27 Feb 2020 00:38 #307529 by Disgustipater

Gary Sax wrote: There is an extended thread on someone's play sessions of Seafall around here somewhere and it sounds *dire.*

That was mine .
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Gary Sax, Frohike

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.005 seconds