October 09, 2023
2286 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
06 Mar 2020 13:09 #307740 by Gary Sax
Great post, thank you. I still love the game but need to get it on the table myself to reassess.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2020 20:20 #307754 by Nagajur
I have been reading this thread starting with page one for the past two weeks. It's actually an interesting chronology.

Hopefully it goes for another 6 years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, ChristopherMD, san il defanso, Frohike, Nodens

More
06 Mar 2020 20:58 - 06 Mar 2020 20:59 #307758 by ChristopherMD
There is also the Archive therewillbe.games/forum/35-mos-eisley-ca...been-playing-archive that has another 10k posts in it.
Last edit: 06 Mar 2020 20:59 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike, Nodens, Ah_Pook

More
07 Mar 2020 14:27 #307769 by wkover
Jaws: Thanks to a well-timed post in the F:AT Deals forum, a shark is eyeing my succulent calves. And not the ones in my corral. The Act I hidden movement is fun, and the Act II boat and human carnage is solid. The rules are somewhat iffy for a mass market release (plug: easily missed rules ) - and Act II may last a tad too long - but no matter. Everyone likes this.

Legendary Encounters: X-Files One of the pure co-ops in the Legendary line, now including Firefly, Predator, Alien, and this. X-Files is by far the most random and chaotic, as all cards must be scanned to be revealed (including the player cards) and there are random informants, evidence procedures, scenario cards, and major villains. I like it, but this is tough and nutty. Like a cancer-ripened walnut, except I hate walnuts. And probably cancer.

Side note: Legendary Predator has a free-for-all mode in which you advance through the storyline, while also being able to attack (Duel) each other. As soon as someone dies or the Ultimate (human) Prey is defeated, points are counted.

Legendary: James Bond I have no business liking all the Legendary games, but I do. At one point I thought I hated deck-builders. Turns out I like most of them, and it was the progenitor Dominion that I despised. Have to say, if you treat LJB like a competition, you will almost definitely lose. These scenarios are tough, so cooperation is almost a necessity. Bonus points for card flipping, poker hands, and the Duck Snorkel.

Pandemic: Fall of Rome: Pandemic with legions, barbarians, dice and push-your-luck event cards. We like this.

Quest: A terrible and dopey adventure game from 1978. But the flavor text is awesome, and we haven’t laughed harder in years. Tears of joy and a 3-day layover in the princess’s chambers are the best medicine.

Oceans: I like this a lot, but so far the guys in my weekly group avert their eyes when I suggest we play again. (I keep winning, which may not help.) People outside the group are game for a repeat, though. If it helps: More easily missed rules .

I keep pushing for someone to try the 3-game Power Grid: Fabled campaign, but no takers yet. I’d like to try it with the deluxe version. I’ll resort to a 2-player game with the Robot expansion, if necessary.

I also have Clank Legacy (Amazon blowout) locked and loaded for when my kids come home for spring break and the summer. I’m not a Clank! enthusiast, but my family eats up legacy/campaign games and deck-builders are a favorite.

More
07 Mar 2020 16:25 #307770 by Ah_Pook
Game night last night was 3 games of Aeons End followed by Sanctum , which came in the mail yesterday.

AE has really taken my group by storm. I possibly bought the Legacy one for more cards, and a box large enough to store all the things in. Looking forward to trying it the campaign, but even without that I honestly don't remember the last time we ran a game back three times in a row at game night that wasn't like The Mind or Insider. We started out 3p with a pretty handy win over Wraithmonger. Followed up 4p with a pretty brutal loss to Magus of Cloaks, not figuring it the strat in time. We ended up without enough small spells to stop his shields to then have our big spells actually do anything. We rerandomized our mages and the market and tried him again, and this time eked out a win with 2 cards left in the Nemesis deck (also with 3 chargers left on the MoC card that says "you lose the game when this card triggers"). I think he's my favorite Nemesis thus far, since he requires an actual different strategy and also is just generally a huge pain in the ass. I need to go back soon and replay some of the easy big bads on apocalypse difficulty and see what that's like.

Then Sanctum aka Diablo the board game. This game seems pretty awesome, but we beefed the rules for the finale pretty hard so obviously we need to play again soon. TBF the finale rules are very poorly/confusingly written imo, and also by that point it was 1230 so maybe not the best time to try to be learning things on the fly ;) All that aside, the loot and leveling and push your luck/race aspects of the game structure all were suuuuper fun, and left everyone wanting to try it again. I have worries about the replay value, but we'll see if they actually become true.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, DarthJoJo

More
07 Mar 2020 16:42 #307771 by Michael Barnes
Prospero Hall Week. Good grief. Haven’t done Villainous yet.

The Shining is -great-. It is very minimal and inevitably you are going to hear the fucking “no meaningful decisions” shit takes and the harrumphing disappointment that it’s not Mansions of Madness or whatever with the Torrance family. You get two face down vision cards with a range on them but you can’t see the value. You move around the hotel and collect Willpower tokens, hoping to have more than the sum of your cards when the round ends. Weapons have high values...but if you crack, you must attack the nearest player and those weapons make you more deadly. There is a “Corrupted” variant, which is the secret traitor thing. I’ve not played it yet but the co-op version is atmospheric and it captures a survival horror flavor with minimal effort.

Wonder Woman is also -great-. An outstanding co-op, beautifully presented with taste, class, and dignity. Unlike every other comic book game ever. Nothing terribly groundbreaking, but it’s so well done and if you play with Cheetah or Circe, it 100% passes the Bechdel Test. This is an excellent “next step” from Pandemic.

The new Funkoverse stuff rules. The Jurassic Park sets are really fun. Ian Malcolm and the T. Rex are my favorites, but having Alan Grant deliver a KO with a Menacing Speech is a treat.
Ray Arnold was quite a surprise, his self-KO ability that lets you use an exhausted figure again is pretty damn good. Kool Aid Man is a hoot- you’ll bust through walls just because you can, and you will say OH YEAH every time. Aggretsuko may be my favorite- she is BRUTAL with that wee little chainsaw. A team with her and the two dinasawas is a force to be reckoned with. There is now NO WAY to effectively organize this game because there is so much of it, like 22 huge figures, and I don’t even have the Golden Girls.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
07 Mar 2020 17:56 #307772 by charlest
One thing I worry about with all of these Prospero Hall titles is whether they will have any staying power. They seem to each offer a special moment, but I'm not sure there's enough there worth exploring a year from now.

I felt that way with Horrified almost instantly. It was neat and worth a play, but nothing really demanding j really dig in and attach emotionally.

Villainous, however, feels like it will stay around due to the wealth of expansion content and strong asymmetry, there's plenty to come back to. Funko probably the same.

I also feel like Jaws really elevated the hidden movement genre, but that seems to be a richer experience than some of their other games.

But Top Gun? The Shining? What are the chances you play one of those even a month from now, a year?

I dunno, just an observation as there seems to be too many of these light-ish games coming out from them to really stick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Gary Sax, Msample

More
07 Mar 2020 19:37 #307773 by Michael Barnes
It’s a valid question. But I’m not sure that it will ultimately matter. They are making fizzy, high impact low commitment pop games. They are leveraging hobby mechanics and concepts toward ma
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
07 Mar 2020 23:51 #307776 by Jackwraith
Cool game day today. Started with a 5-player Wiz-War because everyone loves Wiz-War, especially my two recent converts. We went with a plus-sign layout that ended up kind of uneven in terms of portal layout, especially after I dropped a Stone Block in front of one of them and the person next to me proceeded to rotate a sector, making one vector of the + a long walk from end to end to be able to drop a treasure. Multiple totems and the Minotaur showed up and two wizards were very near death, but the winner was one who stole two treasures, thanks to the Cloak of Shadows that let her walk through doors. I did get to let loose with an amazing Tail Slap that stalled her for one round, but couldn't follow up. I have surrendered the Dr. Orpheus title... for now.

Then we got into a game of Rising Sun with Lotus, Bonsai, Turtle, Fox, and Dragonfly (me.) I picked last and decided to go with the clan that I'd never played before, but I kind of had Koi stuck in my head because I proceeded to play as if I were Koi for the first few mandates, picking up Path of the Shogun (get 3 coins in the War phase) in the first Train and so on. Since I was the game owner and teacher, I was also the only one who didn't get an alliance for the first two seasons, which I understood, but it made it more difficult than previous seasons, especially with my card approach being kind of scattershot. We played with the Torii set plus two random monster cards and we ended up heavy on the Oni, with Blood, Souls, Skulls, Plagues, Hate, AND Spite in play at the end, plus the Fire and River Dragons and a couple more monsters, like Yurei.

Fox jumped out to a big lead, going virtue-heavy and racking up points for every dead, orange dude. But then he allied with me out of sympathy, I think, in Autumn and I promptly betrayed him to replace a couple of his sacrifices. I made a misplay on a bid for Edo in the last War phase or I would have had 5 province tokens and 10 more points. In the end, Turtle won 63-56-47-39-28. She went heavy on end-of-game bonuses and they pulled her through against the Fox "Loki" strategy. Everyone really liked the Turtle strongholds (Thanks again, Bendgar) and I was kinda thrilled that the two people I expected to not like the game, as they're not DoaM players, really enjoyed it.

Then two people left and we finished up with a game of Guildhall. We stuck to the original set, since we were teaching a new person. Didn't matter. I won with 5 in coins and 4 VP cards. I keep trying to tell people that the trick is to use the Weavers properly and they just don't want to listen, as everyone dumps or ignores them at every opportunity. I remain undefeated in that game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar, Msample, hotseatgames, Frohike, charlest

More
08 Mar 2020 11:46 #307781 by hotseatgames
I haven't played Rising Sun in a long time... not one I would ever play with an odd number of players. Being shut out of an alliance is a death sentence and not fun.

Last night I had my first game night of 2020. I have been too busy working on game designs (I have 3 active at the moment) and I have also been frustrated with turnout. And rightly so, as one player bailed 20 minutes before game night was to start. That left us with 3.

Game 1 was Root, on the Mountain map and using the new deck of cards. I was the Corvid Conspiracy, and others were the Cats and the Lizard Cult. No one had ever played their respective faction before.

Cats of course started out ruling the Pass, but I set out immediately to try to slow them down. I knew the Lizard Cult would be of little help for at least a while. I was able to place a Snare plot there, and ended up ruling the Pass for the remainder of the game, with the Cats only ever earning 2 points from it.

Lizards did indeed get moving slowly. Comparatively, they are quite complex. Until playing the Corvids, they were my favorite. I was able to understand exactly how to make the Corvids work (luckily) and was holding my own against the cats, only trailing by a few points. Unfortunately, I had a couple of plots destroyed (no one ever tried to guess them, they just fought them instead). Losing those plots really hurt my points gaining ability, and I ended up in second place, trailing by 7 I think. Lizard Cult was way back at 15. All in all I think it was my favorite play of Root to date! I found the Corvids to be great fun. I also think that if we had that fourth player, enough attention might have been diverted away from me to allow me the win.

Next up, we tried Nemesis in full co-op mode for the first time. With only 3 players, subterfuge isn't very compelling, so this was an obvious choice. It turned out to be a ton of fun! We had many challenging goals to achieve. The most challenging was to either kill the queen or blow up the ship. We decided to start down the path of blowing up the ship, and thus never bothered to check coordinates. We also foolishly started to unlock drop pods way too late. The Queen actually did show up and we killed her. At that point we switched our direction and decided to save the ship and hibernate. We had to fix engines (one of which I had deliberately broken earlier), and then realized we never checked coordinates. I had to trudge all the way to the front of the ship, and by the time I got there, an event card dropped the final malfunction on a room, and the entire ship blew up. Game Over. Checking the card, we were bound for Deep Space the whole time, so it's a good thing I was headed that way. The game was great and we will definitely do that again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Jackwraith

More
08 Mar 2020 11:48 #307782 by Gary Sax
I think the Corvid guess thing is simple but interesting. A lot of times you just need to make sure it isn't the bomb in your clearing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
08 Mar 2020 12:01 #307783 by hotseatgames
I think perhaps that they actually forgot that they could try to guess them, but it's also quite possible that they just wanted the VP for destroying them.

More
08 Mar 2020 12:10 #307786 by ubarose
Al and I played 7th Continent last night and lost before we even really got started again. We just can’t figure this one out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
08 Mar 2020 12:56 - 08 Mar 2020 13:42 #307788 by Nagajur
I played episode 8 and 9 from The Arkham Horror: The Card Game The Path to Carcosa with my buddy. Out of all the episodes, I've played in the Path to Carcosa, 7 was definitely the least fun for me. I thought nine was pretty neat because here we are with yet a slight switch on the game mechanics that just left us scratching our heads and gave us delight at discovering the goal. We've now survived with at least one investigator on 7 of 9 episodes. We've had to replace investigators from a total loss in Unspeakable Oath.

We will hopefully get to 10 early April unless we are quarantined.
Last edit: 08 Mar 2020 13:42 by Nagajur.

More
08 Mar 2020 13:01 - 08 Mar 2020 13:03 #307789 by Disgustipater

Gary Sax wrote: I think the Corvid guess thing is simple but interesting. A lot of times you just need to make sure it isn't the bomb in your clearing.

In a game I played last night, a player who was considering attacking the plot would always guess Raid before attacking so he could then destroy it without consequence.

hotseatgames wrote: I think perhaps that they actually forgot that they could try to guess them, but it's also quite possible that they just wanted the VP for destroying them.

You get a VP for correctly guessing the token, since you are removing it from the board. The Exposure rule on the faction board does not mention this, but the rule book does remind you.
Last edit: 08 Mar 2020 13:03 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.983 seconds