October 09, 2023
2488 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2689 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
24 Mar 2020 16:58 - 24 Mar 2020 17:01 #308538 by lj1983
it's definitely lighter than Wiz-War. I've said before it feels about the level of something like King of Tokyo.

Given the choice, I'd pick Wiz-War any day, but I've got two 6 year olds, and parsing that many cards would make for a long game.

As it is, the hieroglyphics on two of the cards for each characters special moves are pretty worthless unless you've explained those moves ahead of time.

I'd say Ultimate Warriorz is a better light family game, and it plays more players pretty well.
Last edit: 24 Mar 2020 17:01 by lj1983.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2020 19:47 #308547 by Sagrilarus
Dude, that first photo is frikkin' awesome! These days we need stuff like that on the front page.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lj1983, Ah_Pook

More
24 Mar 2020 21:52 #308548 by DarthJoJo
Ran a couple of rounds of the ISGOYTRA February course for Rallyman GT and topped with a time 6:33. That would still be almost two minutes behind the top submitted time but pretty much in the middle of all times, much better than January. Turns out twisty roads in the rain that demand caution are more my thing than the open roads. Sounds right.

The game keeps growing on me. I get to feel clever when I find a good and feel my throat tighten on a risky play. Maybe I’ll even submit my times for March if I can be bothered to learn the notation. Maybe I’ll even play with other people some day, get to experience some of this blocking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, charlest, Gregarius

More
25 Mar 2020 09:57 #308558 by NeonPeon

Dwarf - He eventually made his way to the subterranean Lost City and camped out at the Hoard, hiding and looting each turn. His goals were Treasures 1, Notoriety 1, and Gold 3. He did find a great treasure, and 50 gold, but never fought anything. Score = -22.

No battles at all in a Lost City hex? :ohmy: How did that happen? Hah...

For the Dwarf I would suggest focusing on Fame and Notoriety - go to the Caves or Cavern and chop up big things. Gold 3 is high even for good looters. The Dwarf does have the search bonus due to his Cave Knowledge ability, so he can actually loot for treasures decently that way, but remember that treasures have to be sold to natives if you want to convert them to gold, which usually requires some degree of zooming around the map. The Dwarf is terrible at that. (Unless, he follows another character. He can actually zip around quite well if the Amazon puts him in her backpack - ha!)

More
25 Mar 2020 10:39 #308561 by Gary Sax
And he has the holy Duck 3/swing hard combo for killing anything big and piling up fame. But against bats...

More
25 Mar 2020 11:15 #308563 by Shellhead

NeonPeon wrote:

Dwarf - He eventually made his way to the subterranean Lost City and camped out at the Hoard, hiding and looting each turn. His goals were Treasures 1, Notoriety 1, and Gold 3. He did find a great treasure, and 50 gold, but never fought anything. Score = -22.

For the Dwarf I would suggest focusing on Fame and Notoriety - go to the Caves or Cavern and chop up big things. Gold 3 is high even for good looters. The Dwarf does have the search bonus due to his Cave Knowledge ability, so he can actually loot for treasures decently that way, but remember that treasures have to be sold to natives if you want to convert them to gold, which usually requires some degree of zooming around the map. The Dwarf is terrible at that. (Unless, he follows another character. He can actually zip around quite well if the Amazon puts him in her backpack - ha!)

The Lost City turned out to be in the Caves right next to the valley with the Inn. By turn 3, chits had summoned a stack of 12 goblins (axe and spear, I think), so the four characters who ended up looting sites there were trying to hide every turn. But in the end, I only rolled a 3 for the monster roll one more time the entire game, so a lot of actions were wasted on Hide. Too much hiding and not enough fighting probably cost all six characters some vp. Then again, the Amazon and the Elf got killed, so maybe not quite enough hiding for them.

More
25 Mar 2020 11:34 #308564 by Jexik
My dad is a bit like me in that once he finds something he likes he's willing to play it a lot.

We played 5 games of Kingdomino 7x7s yesterday, with the back of the rulebook showing so we'd know how many crowns are out there. The game gets a bit different when it's semi-open info and you know what to expect. I found myself giving up on certain areas and focusing on others. I also found myself letting him take the mines, opting instead to get big areas of either forest or plains. He also seemed to avoid the sheep every time too.

More
25 Mar 2020 11:49 #308565 by Gary Sax

Shellhead wrote:

NeonPeon wrote:

The Lost City turned out to be in the Caves right next to the valley with the Inn. By turn 3, chits had summoned a stack of 12 goblins (axe and spear, I think), so the four characters who ended up looting sites there were trying to hide every turn. But in the end, I only rolled a 3 for the monster roll one more time the entire game, so a lot of actions were wasted on Hide. Too much hiding and not enough fighting probably cost all six characters some vp. Then again, the Amazon and the Elf got killed, so maybe not quite enough hiding for them.

It's a shame because some of the game encounters are obviously calibrated to you hiring some people in order to help out with some of these huge fights they put in the encounter chits. Unfortunately, the hireling rules are a form of madness I myself could never even try to execute in in-person play so that's pretty harmful to play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
25 Mar 2020 11:54 #308567 by Shellhead
I also should have had some of the four characters at the Lost City make a trip back to the Inn mid-game to sell some loot and hire more help. The Elf and the Dwarf each hired one rogue early on, but that's not enough to make a difference against a dozen goblins.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
25 Mar 2020 14:42 #308577 by Gary Sax
There are some dudes in The Order who are just flat out murderers iirc.

More
25 Mar 2020 15:07 #308579 by Shellhead
Due to an odd map layout (yes, I followed the complex setup rules), the Order at the Chapel was only four hexes away from the Lost City, but more than double that distance unless a character could fly. Four of the five valleys were adjacent to each other, but the direction of the underpasses and overpasses in each valley made for a big detour to get to and from the Chapel.

More
28 Mar 2020 15:21 #308663 by WadeMonnig
Despite the jokes of "This is it, the time we've all been training for" in regards to being trapped inside the house with dozens of board games, we've had a issue with getting anything new or overly complex to the table. No one is really "feeling" it (as in wanting to learn a new, complex game). We've played Barenpark Anomia King of Tokyo Guesstures Cover Your Kingdom Someone has died. Luckily, Tournament at Avalon arrived and, being the sister game to Tournament at Camelot it doesn't require learning an entirely new game.
We almost played Dead of Winter but, nope, too bleak and too "real" at this point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, Varys, DarthJoJo, Ah_Pook

More
28 Mar 2020 15:40 #308664 by Jackwraith
We're "trapped" with just three of us. I was really hoping that my girlfriend's son would end up here when he left MSU's campus, since he's a regular board game player, unlike his sister, but he went to his dad's. His sister is much more into Minecraft and still hasn't quite grown out of the "parents are to be tolerated, not engaged" phase. (Only 17. She's getting there.) He also would've provided a fourth, which is just a better number for a lot of things (like Modern Art, for example, which I was considering pitching to them yesterday.)

So, I haven't been able to entice either of them, so far, but there's a long way to go... I'm already burning out a bit on the moving screen (i.e. not the one I'm writing on; three Tiny Epic deep dives in the bag, four to go), unless I can somehow convince them to watch some Kurosawa with me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
28 Mar 2020 15:52 #308665 by Gary Sax
We've had a really hard time playing too. I think it's the stress. Been mostly crafting Gaslands stuff.

More
28 Mar 2020 21:04 #308669 by Sagrilarus
We role-played today and I think everyone enjoyed the escape.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.990 seconds