October 09, 2023
2485 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2687 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
18 Nov 2020 01:23 #316248 by mc
I've been playing a bit of Knizia's Babylonia over vassal, and the thing is tight. Every turn is seat of your pants decision time, and every game has it's own little thing going on, an ever so slightly different feel depending on the spread of tokens and what powers people end up taking. Terrific old school euro feel as you'd expect. Not as confrontational as say T&E or whatever but plenty of blocking of connections and horning in on other people's rackets and you are always a bit stretched. Always a big move or two to build towards. I've now played at all the counts and they are all good. I've only played on vassal asynch but it would go quick in real life. At the first pass it was yeah, okay, good solid Knizia (so, more than okay if that's your thing), but it has kept on getting better and better. Most of the guys I'm playing with have got 10s of games under their belts already (I don't!), and I'm pretty sure it's going to hold my attention for that long easily. If you like your classic Knizia's you probably should check it out and give it a run of plays - it's up there with the best.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ratpfink, Jackwraith, Nodens, WadeMonnig, DarthJoJo, Ah_Pook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Nov 2020 10:09 #316265 by Ah_Pook
Babylonia is very much Samurai+Through The Desert. It's awesome, but I think it's got a pretty limited audience in today's board game scene. It got reviewed and talked up back when it came out in Germany if memory serves, but there was a long time between that and the American release. And like... I just don't know how many people are going to get hype up about a boring looking family weight tile laying game that time warped in from the late 90s even if it's super good (like Babylonia emphatically is).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, Gregarius, Nodens, DarthJoJo

More
18 Nov 2020 11:34 #316271 by ratpfink
I don't pay attention to new games anymore, but now Babylonia is on my radar. Thanks!

IMO, the few times I do try new stuff it seems like there's mostly a lot of shit JASE and half-finished-barely-a-game-but-has-minis crud out there. To me, Knizia creates games you play against other people, and not against an algorithm to see who can solve it most quickly. So his non-kid games are always at least a "try a couple times" for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius, mc, Ah_Pook

More
20 Nov 2020 11:28 #316374 by ChristopherMD
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
21 Nov 2020 17:32 - 21 Nov 2020 17:33 #316408 by Gary Sax
I posted a longer thing about it in its own thread, but we have like a little TWBG tabletop simulator casual Oath club going and it is bringing me a lot of joy in this tough time. When you're clocking in at a somewhat leisurely two hours, including dealmaking, the game sings and fits my own weird game preferences perfectly.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2020 17:33 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, hotseatgames, sornars, mc

More
21 Nov 2020 17:57 #316410 by mc
What sort of times are you playing Gary?

More
21 Nov 2020 21:53 - 21 Nov 2020 21:54 #316425 by Gary Sax
Hey mc, we generally play in the early afternoon on Saturday US---we have some europe time zone and some US time zone players so that splits the difference. Consistent 4 of us. I put info on my little discord server we coordinate on in the tabletop simulator thread. I'll bump it again with the info for my server if you're interested.

I can also do weekday evenings now that the semester is mostly over. Let me know if you want to play. I can always teach, too, if you haven't worked through the rules. Teaching takes a bit of time and early games are slow so it can be a bit of a dud for the first game or two.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2020 21:54 by Gary Sax.

More
21 Nov 2020 23:34 #316429 by Sagrilarus
Alhambra is beta on BoardGameArena and the release is solid. It’s one of the few pure euros I still really enjoy. Worth a look, especially on a desktop as desktop browsers show the cheat sheet as well.

Tough game to implement visually in software. I’m impressed with their work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
22 Nov 2020 01:23 #316430 by mc

Gary Sax wrote: Hey mc, we generally play in the early afternoon on Saturday US---we have some europe time zone and some US time zone players so that splits the difference. Consistent 4 of us. I put info on my little discord server we coordinate on in the tabletop simulator thread. I'll bump it again with the info for my server if you're interested.

I can also do weekday evenings now that the semester is mostly over. Let me know if you want to play. I can always teach, too, if you haven't worked through the rules. Teaching takes a bit of time and early games are slow so it can be a bit of a dud for the first game or two.

Thanks Gary - in a few weeks I'll be off on holidays myself so might be able to make it if there is still something going on. Early arvo US is first thing here, and I'm an early bird so that can maybe work. I'll let you know.

More
22 Nov 2020 02:19 #316431 by WadeMonnig
Had a couple of Cyclades two player games. Much better than i anticipated. Plenty of Cosmic Frog... review coming this week.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, hotseatgames

More
22 Nov 2020 08:27 - 22 Nov 2020 08:29 #316433 by Sagrilarus
So my buddies and I are playing The Crew online and we’re up to mission 19. The challenges aren’t changing much at the moment, just involving more goals per hand.

Has anyone played beyond this? Is it just more of the same? I’m curious to know if this is a game where it’s expected you finish all 50 scenarios, or if they’re just up there to provide ever more impossible challenges? They’re getting pretty tough and we aren’t half way yet.
Last edit: 22 Nov 2020 08:29 by Sagrilarus.

More
22 Nov 2020 09:51 - 22 Nov 2020 12:08 #316434 by Ah_Pook
You can look at the logbook and see, they generally get harder and harder. There are definitely some curveballs in there too aside from just "more tasks!" My personal favorite as far as wtf value is "the player to the left of the player with the Red 9 in their hand must win all red cards".

Edit: also, once you find a level of difficulty you're comfortable with you can just replay those missions. The deal will be different each time, and beating a mission once doesn't mean it's "solved" and you can't play it again. And as you're doing that, if you collectively find things getting easier as you get better you can go from there.
Last edit: 22 Nov 2020 12:08 by Ah_Pook.

More
23 Nov 2020 11:57 #316467 by Gary Sax
Just wearing out this copy of Spirit Island. I'm glad I spent the (I thought at the time) indulgent silly money on getting the wooden tokens and expensive organizing box in that last KS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, n815e

More
23 Nov 2020 15:48 #316473 by Erik Twice

Sagrilarus wrote: Has anyone played beyond this? Is it just more of the same? I’m curious to know if this is a game where it’s expected you finish all 50 scenarios, or if they’re just up there to provide ever more impossible challenges? They’re getting pretty tough and we aren’t half way yet.

It simply gets harder. There are some interesting missions, but of them are just a increase in difficulty. The missions in the online expansion do seem more interesting, though.

I'm surprised you are finding it difficult. I'm awful, awful at trick-taking games and thought it was pretty easy, at least until whatever point we played.

More
23 Nov 2020 15:58 - 23 Nov 2020 15:59 #316475 by Sagrilarus
I'm not sure my couple of thousand trick-taking hands over the last 45 years are doing me any favors. My deep brain wants to control control control and this game is more about getting out of the way most of the time.

Well we aren't 40% done yet, so even though we're cruising through, I can see the complexity rising and it's due to more than double. As it stands we're redoing missions. We just had an awful goals draw that was about impossible to clear. Hopefully the re-deal tonight will be better.
Last edit: 23 Nov 2020 15:59 by Sagrilarus.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.050 seconds