October 09, 2023
2292 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
04 Feb 2021 18:21 #318829 by Michael Barnes
Dungeonquest remains the best dungeon crawl board game period.

There used to be a pretty good Chainsaw Warrior app, it even had the expansion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2021 19:31 #318835 by hotseatgames
Chainsaw Warrior is on Steam.

More
04 Feb 2021 19:38 - 04 Feb 2021 19:39 #318836 by Ah_Pook
playing chainsaw warrior digitally seems like it would remove what little pretense of being a game there is, and make it into a completely rote mechanical exercise. it already is basically that in cardboard form, but for me at least i get enjoyment from rolling the dice and manipulating the bits and whatnot. without that tactile pleasure of doing a thing... i mean there are way better video games you could play. its like playing digital talisman. technically it works, but why are you doing it in the first place?
Last edit: 04 Feb 2021 19:39 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

More
04 Feb 2021 19:58 #318838 by Jackwraith

Michael Barnes wrote: Dungeonquest remains the best dungeon crawl board game period.

This statement would only be accurate after about 5 Hopslams, at which point almost anything is fun.

More
06 Feb 2021 09:52 #318924 by Ah_Pook

Andi Lennon wrote: Are you playing with just the base game? I have a chance to pre-order it but was wondering if it works as a standalone considering the ungodly amount of expansions

the mission did not go well, enterprise. three attempts to beat the first mission, then a handy defeat by the second mission once we finally got there. fun game though!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
06 Feb 2021 10:59 #318926 by Gary Sax
^oh, interesting, thanks for posting that. I'd like to see how that game plays. I'll check it out sometime.

More
06 Feb 2021 14:10 #318934 by DukeofChutney
Babylonia - still only two player. There is a lot more room for aggression in this game than i had initially anticipated. It is definitely worth wasting tokens purely to deny points and cities to your opponent when they will score well. Obviously there is a balance but i had expected it to be more just about cutting each other off.

Villagers - despite my misgivings on my first two games my house mate wanted to play this. I framed my expectations and enjoyed it quite a bit. If i view it as essentially a game of solitaire/patience with a draft and some minor blocking it works well. Still not that exciting but pleasant enough.

More
06 Feb 2021 21:20 - 06 Feb 2021 22:26 #318944 by Sagrilarus
Res Arcana. I’ve played three times, am concerned I’m 50% done with it. Anyone played? It seems the key is to identify the monster combination in two turns, then finish with it in three more.
Last edit: 06 Feb 2021 22:26 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Vysetron

More
06 Feb 2021 21:39 #318945 by Gary Sax
It had such intense buzz, I've always meant to try it.

More
06 Feb 2021 22:22 #318946 by Sagrilarus
There appears to be a couple of ways to win but the three of us have zoomed in on one particular way that seems much more accessible. We found it in just three games. I’m hoping there’s more space to explore, but I’m concerned there’s not.

Feels like Imperial Settlers Lite.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
06 Feb 2021 23:45 #318950 by Jackwraith
Yeah, I was fairly unimpressed. As you say, there are fairly obvious combos that are super reliable, pending card deal. I was hoping for something with a little more depth. It's on the block.

More
07 Feb 2021 07:36 #318954 by Msample
I’ve played it a few times. Don’t remember much about it at all. Didn’t strike me as anything particularly outstanding. Have no urge to play it again.

More
07 Feb 2021 08:07 #318955 by Ah_Pook
I think RA is super cool, but no one I play that kind of game with cared about it at all so it didn't last long in my collection. There are a lot of consistent ways to win in like 6 turns, the trick is figuring out faster ways to win given the cards you draft. There is a lot of game to explore in that space from what I remember, but I haven't played it in quite a while.

More
07 Feb 2021 12:31 - 07 Feb 2021 12:34 #318960 by dragonstout

Sagrilarus wrote: There appears to be a couple of ways to win but the three of us have zoomed in on one particular way that seems much more accessible. We found it in just three games. I’m hoping there’s more space to explore, but I’m concerned there’s not.

I figure you're referring to gold/monuments? That's the easiest strategy to notice, so it's reliably the one that people figure out first; like you said, it's "more accessible". But there is plenty more cool stuff to discover! That's been my most played game with my wife since getting it for Christmas, close to an average of once per day. Our initial games were also pretty non-interactive, and now we play fully understanding the impact of each other's moves, threats of what we can buy, the importance of accomplishing things in fewer actions (but also the need to sometimes deliberately stall), etc.

As usual with Tom Lehmann games, Brian Bankler has some good initial strategy thoughts down at his Tao of Gaming blog, but reading it too early can send you into a rut; better to read it after you've already developed some groupthink that his ideas will bust you out of.

Also, we've never drafted. Play what you get. Like in Magic, sealed deck forces you to be creative whereas draft lets you lean more on strategies you already know.
Last edit: 07 Feb 2021 12:34 by dragonstout.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, Jackwraith, sornars, BillyBobThwarton

More
08 Feb 2021 22:28 - 08 Feb 2021 22:35 #319008 by Sagrilarus

dragonstout wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: There appears to be a couple of ways to win but the three of us have zoomed in on one particular way that seems much more accessible. We found it in just three games. I’m hoping there’s more space to explore, but I’m concerned there’s not.

I figure you're referring to gold/monuments? That's the easiest strategy to notice, so it's reliably the one that people figure out first; like you said, it's "more accessible". But there is plenty more cool stuff to discover! That's been my most played game with my wife since getting it for Christmas, close to an average of once per day. Our initial games were also pretty non-interactive, and now we play fully understanding the impact of each other's moves, threats of what we can buy, the importance of accomplishing things in fewer actions (but also the need to sometimes deliberately stall), etc.

As usual with Tom Lehmann games, Brian Bankler has some good initial strategy thoughts down at his Tao of Gaming blog, but reading it too early can send you into a rut; better to read it after you've already developed some groupthink that his ideas will bust you out of.

Also, we've never drafted. Play what you get. Like in Magic, sealed deck forces you to be creative whereas draft lets you lean more on strategies you already know.

Res Arcana has crashed and burned with us. We're in a game right now where all three of us are trying to not just generate gold and take monuments for the win, and we're all dead in the water. Don't know if it's the card-draw or what, but we're more or less in post-mortem mode in the discussion now. Current score is 3-3-2.

This looks like a really cool game and played like a really cool game when we were learning it. But right now we're looking at abandoning a game because . . . it just shit the bed. Don't know how common that is.
Last edit: 08 Feb 2021 22:35 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.025 seconds