D
DukeofChutney
April 29, 2021
579 0
J
Jackwraith
April 29, 2021
834 0
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
03 May 2021 11:36 #322818 by Michael Barnes
Welp, I got the Anachrony Infinity Box. It’s fucking BIG. Like, remember when you got the complete Ogre and you were like damn that’s big. It’s bigger. Remember when you got Gloomhaven and was like oh shit where am I going or put that? It’s bigger.

But weirdly...it’s not so much stuffed as it is efficiently sorted, organized, and stored. It has a full tray system that makes it super easy to unpack and play. Like, I would actually consider this box and trays to be an -essential- purchase for this game. It’s kind of amazing. And it makes setup and takedown really quick for such a big, sprawling game. There are like 40 huge ass miniatures in it too.

I’ve still not dug into the expansion stuff other than one of the two solo options but it was freaking great. I’m using the revised Chronobot and it is supremely easy to manage and it is very challenging- I can’t beat it. I can’t quite get the hang of managing the water economy, getting enough done with research, keeping my workers refreshed, and when to go back in time (yes I think about Huey Lewis every time).

One of the most brilliant things about the game is that it seems overwhelmingly complex...but it just isn’t. It’s actually pretty easy and rules wise it’s just medium weight. But with resources so tight, it forces difficult decisions and demands that you focus efforts and maneuver a lot of options. For example, there are only four building types, but there are a bunch different variations of each one with two available to buy at any given moment. And the opportunities they present at any given moment may dramatically shift their valuation. It’s interesting that the buildings actually have no cost, you pay for the space you are building them in. So a 4 point building with a kind of weak effect might be a bargain while you find yourself willing to pay a premium to get a building before another player with a strong effect but only 1 point early on the game .

Last night I thought I had the Chronobot but I was water poor the whole game. When the asteroid hit, I was able to do my Path’s evacuation action (have 3 power plants, get 3vp per Neutronium you take with you) and got a ton of points off it, leveraging a factory that let me trade up for Neutronium cubes.. But I never got a single Super Project built and the last two turns I just totally bollocks the timeline with a bunch of loans from the future. So another L.

This game is just excellent. And the thing is, even though it’s all rebuses and WP, there is a very strong narrative throughout because the game has a really specific storyline spelled out in this art and lore book. It’s actually kind of decent, and it has some pretty wild Metal Hurlant-ish overtones. Every spot on the board has a storyline- like, even the recruit action explains how your people are taking Exosuits out to look for survivors to bring back. Even the solo Bots have a couple of pages of story to give them flavor. And the game has a distinct arc- after turn 4, the asteroid hits and trashes the capital. So then you have to try to get hour evacuation action in. And each capital space has just ONE more use (albeit powered up in desperation) before the end of the game.

I’d say I missed out on it when it came out in 2017, but the new Essential Edition has improvements and updates so I’m kind glad to have come into it now.

May try the other solo bot tonight and one of the expansions that adds some kind of adventure element.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, jpat, n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2021 12:37 #322820 by dysjunct
Picked up Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion. I've never played the original and don't care to, but the price point on this was really good and the box is jammed full of stuff. The 6yo and I are still working through the training missions but I can see why people like the system. Using cards as initiative and actions is fun, and losing a card every time you shuffle puts nice time pressure on you.

There's a little too much reading for the 6yo to "really" play, but it's coop so who cares. And the box is too small; even following the organization tips there's stuff spilling over and it's hard to find things. But, it is a little chintzy to complain about getting too much content for under $40.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
03 May 2021 12:46 #322821 by Sagrilarus

Michael Barnes wrote: It’s fucking BIG. Like, damn that’s big. It’s bigger. . . It’s bigger.

In theory, in September, I will go from having three kids living with my wife and me to none. At that point, with three bedrooms freeing up, I may be able to consider purchasing a game like this at that point.

That said, I will mention that I read your post with an engineering eye as well, where the gameplay and presentation were not a sufficient package to make the sale. They took the time to review their product and consider what was needed to make its usability high enough to reduce the level of its barrier to purchase. Yeah, I know most people don't look at products this way but it's one of the things I do in my job. Understandability is key in any reasonably complex product, and bigger board games push up against that barrier on a regular basis. So they lose me as a customer, but likely pick up three others.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, sornars

More
04 May 2021 13:44 #322851 by jpat
I think I joked at some earlier point about the Infinity Box, but I agree with Michael that it does take what is, frankly, a bear with respect to components and make it more viable as something to be played rather than glanced at. Of course, whether the game *needs* all that stuff is another question. The base game is very solid, and I have no real interest in solo, so it's a question of whether the two-/multiplayer expansions add that much to warrant their mass. But, yes, the Infinity Box itself "fixes" a problem of the game's own creation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
04 May 2021 16:03 #322855 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, usually I just shrug at all the sorting stuff out there, I’m an old timey ziplock bagger...but given how this game has -modules- rather than “always include” expansions...it really helps to keep it all straight.

Jpat does bring up a good point about the core game (now the “Essential Edition”)- it is more than sufficient a game and it’s pretty inexpensive ($55). It’s also manageable in its box. When I got interested in it, I bounced off it right away when I saw all the expansion stuff. But playing it made me see where I might like a modular experience with plug-in additions. Reading the rules, there are some really cool things but the baseline experience still seems complete without them. I don’t feel like the essential edition is lacking anything.

Oddly, if I were going to buy just one expansion, it would be the miniatures. They are really good figures and they are easier to move around and put your workers in. But they also don’t fit in the Essential Edition box

More
06 May 2021 13:55 - 06 May 2021 14:31 #322917 by san il defanso
Another game of Civilization: A New Dawn. I really like it a lot. Here are some more thoughts.

- It doesn't exactly mechanically feel like Civ VI, but it does offer a lot of the same kinds of decisions. A big one is how you can jump into the game without a clear idea of how you're going to get to victory, but about a third of the way in you have to try to think of a way forward. That's very much how Civ VI feels, since every leader is probably viable for just about any victory condition if you want them to be.

- I remember back like 10 years ago, it felt like many thematic game experiences were a lot of systems floating next to each other and not really coalescing into a whole. (Think Arkham Horror of Merchants & Marauders.) The original FFG Civ game had this problem too. New Dawn is WAY more well-integrated. It feels like every mechanic dovetails pretty well into the whole quite well.

- A lot of people wish this was a more epic experience, and I think that's really fair. It's hard to not feel like some scale was lost with it. But civ-style board games have a lot of experiences like that already, so designing a game in the 90-120 minute range that still covers the sweep of everything feels about right. It is a great game with scale, in that it feels like everything has the right level of emphasis. You really do need to hit all of the different levels of the game to really get anywhere, but no single one becomes all consuming. The usual suspect is warfare, but I love how no-fuss-no-muss it is in this game. If I want a combat-heavy civ, I have Clash of Cultures right over there. Anyway, it's a game with the single biggest license in 4x gaming, so it's totally fine for it to embrace a more accessible design angle.

- I've played two games with two players now, and I do think it wants at least one more player. Otherwise I feel like a couple of angles don't have quite the pinch they ought to have. In both of our games we kind of quit building wonders after a certain point because we both had the victory achievements we needed relating to wonders. We could have kept building them, but since cities and wonders are built with the same action, and since we needed more cities we didn't build ANY modern wonders at all. I think that might have a little more urgency with more people.

- A New Dawn is nothing like Outer Rim, but they have a lot of the same good points. They are judicious adaptations of popular licenses, and are clearly next-gen thematic games. They are games where it feels like you are playing the other players and not the system itself, and the various systems dovetail together really well.
Last edit: 06 May 2021 14:31 by san il defanso.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Jackwraith, mezike, Gregarius, BillyBobThwarton, mc, DarthJoJo

More
06 May 2021 17:06 #322919 by SebastianBludd
I was at Target yesterday and saw the new Fast and the Furious game that I didn't know existed. I was expecting it to look like hot garbage but after seeing the Thunder Road-esque board on the back of the box I couldn't resist.

Upon reading the rules I was disappointed that the road is only one board rather than the endless one made by the two boards in Thunder Road. Instead, one is to assume that all the vehicles are moving at the same relative speed and the board represents the highway zipping along underneath. Fair enough.

It's co-op and comes with three scenarios: stop a tank, steal cargo from a semi, and escape a super helicopter. Each player character (six total) has their own stats for skill checks and can perform 2 actions per turn. They can be outfitted with one of four unique cars, each with their own stats, so some very light customization is possible.

My favorite parts of the game are the on-vehicle combat (represented by these cool pegs with tiny little pedestrian placards on them to represent dudes standing on the cars) and the Stunt cards. I like that you can dismount your car at any time and jump to another without a skill check. Just jump and go, get in a fistfight, jump back, whatever.

The second nod to the franchise's disregard for physics for the sake of fun are the Stunt cards. They're different ridiculous scenario-specific maneuvers you can pull off that give you a reward (nitro tokens that can convert nitro icons to successes on the action dice, or they can be spent to add two dice to another player's skill check) if you pull them off. They often require a certain positioning or condition on the board, and it's a brilliant way to incorporate ridiculously over-the-top stunts without adding a bunch of rules. So in the tank mission, if there's an enemy SUV two spaces behind the tank, you can move your car in between
and pass a skill check to do the Brake Check stunt, flinging the SUV into the tank and doing damage.

The Stunt cards also act as the timer for the game, where if the last one moves off the Stunt card track you lose. There are also rules for hijacking an enemy SUV if your car gets totaled, an action for wiggling your car to ditch enemies hitching a ride on top, bumping cars to move them to a space of your choice to set up future actions, etc.

I solo'ed the tank mission and got destroyed. My die rolls went ice cold and a tank mechanic spawned on the tank and ended up repairing it near the end of the so I couldn't do the remainder of the required damage in time. All three of my cars were totaled and I got to hijack some SUV's but it was too little, too late.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Jackwraith, mezike, hotseatgames, sornars, DarthJoJo

More
07 May 2021 08:52 #322933 by Michael Barnes
Took some time out of wallowing in the riches of the Anachrony Infinity Box to get back to Underwater Cities...also because I’m making a culling pass and wanted to give it a keep or pass trial.

I realized that I really, really like this one. It has the depth and challenge of something like TM but it’s quite compact. There is virtually no setup time other than a couple of shuffles and it plays solo in about 45 minutes. The solo option is an extremely difficult high score challenge, you have to have 7 networked cities and 100 points. After 4 outings my top is 6 cities and 65 points. And not in the same game.

It’s a pretty easy action selection thing/cardplay thing and you also build a very small (5 card) tableau. Everything only produces three times per game, so it feels a lot like Power Grid in prepping for the switch to be flipped.

Resource handling is pretty standard, nothin’ fancy stuff. There is a development angle with building and upgrading production buildings and creating a network of connected cities. The solo opposition is of the “block spaces” type and although it just moved clockwise I swear it’s like it knows what I need to do most on a turn and then shuts it down.

It reminds me somewhat of older economic Eurogames- it puts me in mind of stuff like Industrial Waste and La Citta. The production is also pretty old timey but it’s fine. It’s Rio Grande Games and I’m always pleased to see their name on a box.

So it wound up in the keep pile!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Ah_Pook, n815e

More
07 May 2021 09:54 #322937 by Ah_Pook
I really like UC. I never really understood the constant comparisons to Terraforming Mars, it's very much a worker placement game with cards. Reminds me of a less punishing Agricola, since they both are WP games where you use cards to build up a supplemental engine to the WP aspect. Anyway, I got rid of it because the guy I would play it with also owns it, but I think it's a great game. Super overpriced expansion that didn't really look appealing to me, but what are you gonna do.

More
07 May 2021 10:39 #322940 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, it’s really not really much like TM other than having cards, really. TM is more complex. UC is more fun. I like TM just fine but it feels like juggling and plate spinning at the same time.

I’ve heard the expansion isn’t for solo at all, so it’s not an issue for me I guess...I am thinking about seeing if he kids like it though, I think they can manage it.

More
07 May 2021 11:07 #322941 by ChristopherMD
Michael, any plans to check out Trickerion from same designers as Anachrony? I've come close to pulling the trigger a few times because I really like the setting. It would be entirely for solo though for similar reasons to your Anachrony solo preference.

More
07 May 2021 11:15 #322943 by Ah_Pook
Mindclash has been touting their next game lately, speaking of which. It's called Voidfall and it's being called a space 4x game for euro fans. So... Eclipse? Who knows how it will turn out, but I'm at least interested (until the Kickstarter drops and it prices me out immediately, natch).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

More
07 May 2021 11:29 #322945 by Michael Barnes
Yes I am maybe going to do Trickerion...I just wish it were just Victorian stage magic and not steampunk. It looks really good though.

Voidfall, I need to see more. Not really interested in 4x, but these designers are worth looking at. Also- it’s co-op, which is interesting for this genre.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
07 May 2021 11:52 #322950 by Shellhead
Steampunk is the comic sans font of settings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, dysjunct

More
07 May 2021 11:55 #322951 by ChristopherMD
Not so sure.

Steampunk > Lovecraft
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.176 seconds